“Nice lunch in Montmartre”
Review of Butte en Vigne

Butte en Vigne
Ranked #14,830 of 18,471 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$24 - US$35
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Montmartre
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We walked into this sleepy restaurant just a lunch time. We both had a warm bowl of vegetable soup to start. My pasta with meat balls and sauce provencale along with my husbands special curry pork were very tasty. Soon after a group of 20 Spanish tourist arrrived but that only made the atmosphere more friendly. Decor is dark but cosy....one suggestion might be to update the banquette seating = springy and bumpy.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We, a group of 6, stumbled into this place by accident and had the worst restaurant experience of our lifetime! By the end of the day, two of the group had food poisoning. One from the escargot dish (we usually like snails) and one from a rancid kidney dish (a French classic that we usually also like, not here though). My salad looked like taken from the garbage, the greens already with a brownish color on the outside and parts of the cheddar cheese already showed signs of mould. I couldn't bring myself to eat it. There is a constant flow of tourist groups coming and going, channeled into an extra room of this horrible place by obviously paid tour guides. This seems to be the business model of this rip-off scam, since the waitress was not surprised we didn't finish our meal and presented us nonetheless with the full bill including dishes being charged higher than the price stated in the menue.

3  Thank oha01
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Poor food, dingy restaurant. It's my own fault as I walked in off the street in the most touristy area in Paris without having checked the online reviews first. The restaurant will no doubt continue to do well despite its many shortcomings because of where it is. Avoid.

2  Thank Randl93
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I had a few places in mind to eat at in Montmartre, but it was late, and the ones I was familiar with (like the great-smelling place next door) were full for the evening. So we took a chance on this place, and it was the worst meal I have ever had in Europe.

I speak some French and ordered in French, etc., but the owner/waiter (?) was still extremely rude and the service was horrible. I had to ask two times for him to please bring us the wine we had ordered (after receiving our first course). We ordered from the price-fixed menu, and suspect we got all the stuff left at the bottom of the pots or something. My vegetable soup had no vegetables in it, it was just a thick broth, and my chicken was so bad it was hardly edible. The bread was crazy hard, even for French standards. I am not even a picky eater, but I had trouble even putting a dent in each course (except dessert, which was OK), and the waiter seemed none too pleased about it!

Let me also mention that there was a putrid smell coming from somewhere in the restaurant, I couldn't pinpoint it, but it almost certainly was not one of the few other diners. Nasty. And there was a singer/guitar player who thankfully focused on the two women sitting nearby, as I was in no mood for a serenade. Of course, he came around for money after playing most of the meal.

I'm not sure if they take credit cards or not, but I wasn't taking any chances with the skeezy place and gave them cash. One of the most expensive meals of our trip, I might add. Ugh, just awful, but definitely memorable!

2  Thank heatherme
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I have never before posted a review on Tripadvisor, but after my experiences last night, I feel compelled to warn everyone against visiting this establishment. Indeed, had a case ever been made for consulting Tripadvisor BEFORE venturing into such a grotesque travesty, this is it.

In a single, never to be repeated, visit we experienced all the fabled arrogance of Parisiennes, a right royal rip-off masquerading as a restaurant (for which it should be held liable for a trade description untruth), and 'food' of such shocking awfulness it would turn the stomach of the occupant of a pig-sty, of which this place is, in my view, a dismal exemplar. In short, this establishment besmirches the glory of Paris and the integrity of a nation - without exaggeration.

Just let me say the material served up to us was cold, disgusting to the taste and provided by staff members who exhibited a stunning contempt in terms of attitude and the heights of agression. Believe me, you do not need to expose yourself to the risk of such gratuitous obscenity.

BUT, all this pales into insignificance when compared to the deliberate deception perpetrated by Management on innocent passes by. It's very simply this - you've ordered your meal, have (however possible) consumed the putride servings and, if you're unlucky, swallowed the liquid accompaniment (mind had a what appeared to be globule of snot at the bottom - possibly delivered by the waiter's finger that I noticed wipping my glass prior to bringing to the table), and asked for the bill ('check' / 'tab') - and then they tell you "we don't accept credit cards!" Not of course they tell you this when you arrive / order / consume ("we're not required to tell you") and the sign saying this is, conveniently, hidden behind the receptionist's ample profile. To add insult to injury, they expect you to take a hike, whatever time of night to find an ATM somewhere in Montmartre, which isn't easy, believe me. My two young sons were horrified by the situation and, I may say, considerably older patrons were also shocked when they overheard my altercation with Management. They asked "don't they accept credit (or debit) cards here?" When I asked if they hadn't already be told (let alone shown the sign which states this), and guess what, they said they hadn't. I didn't stay around long enough to establish their inclinations after I described the place and experiences as 'a toilet' and 'execrable', respectively. A very upsetting end to a hitherto wonderful visit to one of the (formerly) greatest cities on earth. Get the picture?

1  Thank RMPW8