“A special place. Make the effort to go there.”
Review of Esens'All

Esens'All
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Esens'All is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,633 of 17,885 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$73 - US$89
Cuisines: French, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Esens'ALL and its evolutionary and groundbreaking concept based on the element of surprise, through which Laurent our chef expresses his expertise and his vision of contemporary and sophisticated cuisine featuring rare products and organic farming. The customer stripped of its menu, is guided at the discretion of the market and seasonal products.
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Esens'All is a bit out of the way, though certainly worth the few extra minutes to get there. Each of the six or eight courses is selected from what is available at the market that day. Make sure to mention any special interests or dislikes when you order and the chef will try to accommodate. That said, the overall experience was first rate and certainly to be recommended.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Esens'all serves inventive food worthy of two Mich starts at prices that represent a remarkable bargain.

It's set in a dull side street near the lively Batignolles quarter in the 17th in a small shop-front. Decor is blond wood floors, charcoal and dove-grey walls and black furniture: smart. Tables are well separated.

Service is impeccable and friendly. English is spoken.

The menu changes daily in accordance with what goes at the market, so not much point then detailing what we ate, but a sample: poached white fish in a light broth with shaved cauliflower and fennel. There are just two choices: six or eight courses, each including cheese and desert.

Traditional French fare this ain't; it is the exact opposite: imaginative, surprising, light. The successive courses build beautifully in intensity and the calorie count mounts only with the last two. Presentation is exquisite. This is cooking at the highest level.

The one discordant note - and it is a big one - is the delay between dishes, 20 to 25 minutes. One such, between first and main, is okay; with five, you run out of conversation and wine, both. It's frustrating so I could only give two stars for service.

In such a small room, with this attention to quality and the low prices (150 euros for two six-course meals including drinks), methinks something will give: they'll go broke or the prices will go up. Get in quick.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

We ate there one night and our daughter & son-in-law ate there another night. The location was a bit out of the way, but it was hands down the best meal we had in Paris; better than Spring. We had the 8 course tasting menu with wines and spent 4 hours over dinner. I have had some professional training and couldn't recommend this restaurant highly enough.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Michelin experience without emptying the pocket. The food was delicious as well as innovative and service was attentive and professional. There are two menus available - 6 courses for $49 and 8 courses for $65. If you would like matching wines (and it's well worth it to do so!), the 6 courses would cost a total of $74 (for 3 glasses of wine) and about $100 (for 4 glasses of wine). I had the 6 course menu with matching wines and was blown away by it. Impeccable price quality ratio!

3  Thank Yvonne E
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Esens’all is everything one would seek in a nouveau, entrepreneur restaurant, but with some rough edges and growing pains. It’s only been open about 18 months, or so Monsieur Laurent Pi (the chef’s surname on the business card is the Greek symbol, so I interpret) told me. He had learned the day before our 9 May visit that esens’all was the numero uno in tripadvisor.com listings.

Esens’all, as M. Pi explained, represents the chef/owner’s vision for reaching all senses, and, indeed, discretely chalked on the wall are the names of all the senses – sight, smell, touch, taste, in English and French

Do not expect a menu. The fare is the chef’s choice, with accommodation for allergies, based upon, I supposed, what M. Pi can conjure for the day. One has the choice o rsi or eight courses. Further, according to the website, one can opt for suggested wine pairings. We demurred, and selected our own wine –quite successfully, given a nice selection.

The restaurant is quite small, probably seating 30 people max. I did not visit the kitchen, but only saw M Pi and the lovely wait lady. I suspect M Pi had a helper, but cannot swear to it.

Bold new restaurateur. Fine friendly service. Satisfying wine list. What’s not to like? Oh, the food. Almost forgot. Basically the food is too little, too late. I don’t mind a lengthy dining experience, but this was four hours for six courses. It was a bit long. A couple of my friends were jetlagged, so the experience was wearing for them. But the restaurant, of course, cannot be blamed for the relative weariness of its patrons.

The fare was really fine, but I would not rave about it as some have. I will freely acknowledge my palate is undereducated. And I do – confession time – require my share of calories, protein and general face stuffing. So while I enjoyed the minuscule portions at esens’all, I left wanting to stop off for a cheeseburger on the return to the hotel. Know the feeling?

Among our six courses were, in order and grossly simplified: fried olives, which were black crumbles; pea soup; free-range chicken. For the fifth course, we were offered a choice of cheese or dessert, the dessert being a fruit yogurt. Sixth course was chocolate with fine chocolate crumbles.

Another annoyance was that, when I ordered wine, instead of placing that coveted bottle on the table, within handy reach, the beautiful wait lady primly stowedour precious bottles on a counter behind our table – well out of reach of thirsty hands. What’s that all about? We had purchased both bottles.

So how pervasive is the power le tripadvisor.com? It lists some 5,000-plus restaurants in Paris, and this one was the top of the list. I hosted a group of six at esens’all, duly arrived at the restaurant, and encountered two other friends, drawn by tripadvisor.com kudos. So the eight of us dined together.

These people do an exceptional job with limited resources. Pricing is very reasonable. With eight people, including two bottles of fine wine, we escaped with only 560 euros in damages. By Parisian standards, this is a real bargain. (They also offer to provide wine pairings for each course at a higher price. I opted for ala carte wine instead.)

So, bottom line, a fine place, don’t be on a time line, be open to new culinary experience, say hi to the bold chef and the lovely wait lady, keep the wine on the table… and grab a cheeseburger later.