“Still a lot of room for improvement”

Mandarin Oriental, Paris
Ranked #13 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The Mandarin Oriental Paris is the latest additional to the expanding portfolio of hotels by the Mandarin Oriental Group, a luxury chain that originates in Asia and now finding a strong footing in Europe. I have debated myself if I should book the more renowned Four Seasons George V with classical luxury or the brand new and way more contemporary Mandarin Oriental. In the end, the newness and more modern rooms of the Mandarin Oriental Paris swayed my decision. I also booked this hotel under the Virtuoso program. Even under this program, the rates are phenomenally expensive, but then this is Paris where everything under the Sun is expensive in this city.

Arriving

I arrived after checking out from the Renaissance. The hotel is located at the Rue St Horne, a supposedly upscale parisan location. The entrance to the hotel is surprising small, and it is easy to miss. Again this has to do with the fact that real estate prices in Paris are very expensive so most hotels will be of the small size variety, especially newer ones.

I arrived early but my room was ready for me. Among the benefits of the Virtuoso program are free breakfast, a welcome amenity ( usually just simple fruit plate or tidbits ), a spa voucher and an upgrade to the next room category. The hotel wasn’t able to upgrade me because they claim they are having full occupancy but I managed to exchange the Spa voucher with free internet which is much more useful.

My check-in was handled by a very nice and friendly lady by the name of Pauline and she was gracious enough to show me the hotel restaurants and facilities before escorting me to the room. Upon entering the room, she also took the time to introduce me to the room facilities and explain how to get things to work. I requested a Blu-Ray player and she arranged a PS3 instead which is just as good since I wanted to watch some movies I bought in London. All in all, a great check-in experience. I speculated that Ms Pauline isn't French since she smiles a lot and was very friendly, something most Parisans aren’t. :)

The Room

I booked a Mandarin Room, the largest room type in the Mandarin Oriental Paris. The room measures 50sqm and will easily qualify as a junior suite in other hotels. Most hotel rooms in Paris are small so the space is a real luxury. Glancing around the room, the décor is of the Art-Deco contemporary style with top notch furnishing. There is a very cool 40” Bang & Olufsen TV, which rotates out from the cabinet when you switch it on and rotates back when it is switched off. The in-house entertainment system from the hotel provides TV channels, high definition programs and even games and other services. Unfortunately, the TV software failed to work many times, apparently due to “system error”. There are abundant A/V connections and plugs on the work desk. There’s no walk in closet but the wardrobe have amble spaces.

The spacious bathroom is decorated in subdue white, very soothing and relaxing. It’s a full ensuite with dual sinks, rainforest shower and a deep sinking tub with Ad Nortam TV built into the wall mirror. The water pressure is adequate and the bathroom fittings I think are the high end Axor Hansgrohe. The bathrobes are very large and fluffy. One thing I think one has to be careful about this bathroom is that the bathtub is very slippery. Also, as the designer is going for style over practicality, there are many sharp edges in the bathroom from accessories protruding out from the wall. This might pose a hazard to some.

The bed is really the best part of the room, with soft silky linens and a very comfortable mattress with just the right amount of firmness, not too hard and not too soft. There are several settings for mood lighting but I thought the switches were kind of difficult to use. Wireless internet is provided which is very fast. Finally, there’s also free mineral water ( Viola! ) and Nepresso coffee machine.

One last thing, the room is truly whisper quiet, evident of first class sound proofing. Mine was a corner room and it is so quiet that I can even hear a pin drop literally. The downside for asking a quiet corner room is that there are no views at all. Rooms that feature terrace might be noisier since the terrace gardens are very popular with outside guests.

Location and Common Areas

The hotel is located in the upscale Rue St Honore with designer shops and boutiques just next door to the hotel. The famous Lourve museum is also a short walking distance from the hotel. The hotel is small so there isn’t much places to explore. The hotel has a Bar and a Café restaurant and both share the terrace garden. There is also a fine dining restaurant by the famed Chef Thiery Marx but it was closed during my stay so I couldn’t try out. I end up dining at the excellent Le Cinq at the Four Seasons instead. The common areas are nicely decorated but doesn’t really wow me like when I enter the Four Seasons. The Spa and fitness centre were located at the basement. The gym is well equipped but very small.

Services at the Mandarin Oriental Paris are on an overall basis inconsistent, more of a hit and miss senario. Some are very good and unfortunately, some are rather bad. Overall, it’s still rather rough around the edges, which is quite normal for a newly opened hotel. I will just list them down so you have a better idea.

Let’s get the negatives out of the way first shall we? Here’s the long list :

1) Breakfast at the Camelia is really poor. The food served to me was bland and the pasteries and bread tasteless. I was expecting better food quality. The service was also very slow. It took them 15mins before my bread basket even arrived, and that is after I have alerted the Manager on duty. The Manager seems to be doing most of the serving while the staff just go slow and seems can’t be bothered. It’s a good thing that breakfast is included because no way I will pay 50 euros for this kind of food.
2) Most of the staff don’t really follow up. For example, I asked housekeeping for some stickers for my luggage box, she said will check but didn’t get back to me. I asked reception to put a dental kit in my room. That was forgotten as well. Also, I complained to Front Desk that the English Tv channels such as BBC were not working, she suggested that I can watch the French channels instead.
3) There’s some re-curing software problem with the TV and a lot of programs are not able to be screened. The hotel attempt at service recovery by giving me a complimentary bottle of wine and some fruits but this problem repeat again the second night.
4) I asked the concierge to wrap a bottle of wine I purchased for check-in. Due to a change of shift, it was forgotten until I call to chase.
5) A Housekeeping staff entered my room when I have the Do Not Disturb sign on. He claims dubiously that he thought I have forgotten to turn it off. Well, in that case, what’s the point of having a DND function in the room?
6) I asked for additional bath towels and the service attendant that brought it to me was rather unhappy because he bought the wrong ones and was asked to come again. I don’t particularly enjoy looking a sour faces when I am staying in a luxury hotel.
7) The gym equipment was not regularly clean. All of them feel kind of “sticky”. I didn’t see any staff in the gym. It was empty.
8) The room service menu selection is mundane and boring, featuring such “imaginative” selections as hamburger and Indonesia fried rice. Ordered In-room dinning for breakfast as I am departing airport early.The food quality is just passable.

Certainly not all is bad. There are some aspect of the hotel service that deserved praises too.

1) Competent Concierge staff, including arranging my transport needs and get a staff to escort me on an errant. One of the concierge staff in particular, Mr Jonathan stands out as being the most friendly and helpful of the lot. Every thing I asked to him were answered by "not a problem at all!" , "Absolutely we can help!", and "My pleasure!" . It's so refreshing to find a hotel staff that actually loves his job and show such enthusiasm.
2) Good check-in and welcome experience from Ms Pauline as described above.
3) The hotel staff learned that I was pick pocketed and lost my wallet along with cash and credit cards, much to my aggravation. The Manager on duty actually called and volunteer to help. Well, there’s nothing much useful he can really do to be honest but I do appreciate the show of concern.
4) Attempt at service recovery after the TV didn’t work with a free bottle of wine and fruits ( well, the TV still didn’t work but at least they try… )
5) I was on my way to a lunch appointment and found out that the pockets of my newly purchased jacket was still sealed. I called the in-house tailor and she was nice ( and competent ) enough to get it done in under 5 mins and rush it back to me on time. Now that’s service!
6) Book a hotel limo car and the driver was kind enough not only to escort me into the airport but also going out of the way to help with luggage and tax refund. Now that’s service!

Conclusion

It’s quite clear judging from the room rates it charges that the Mandarin Oriental Paris attempt to position itself as a top-end luxury hotel in Paris. In the end, the results are decidedly mixed. The room is definitely gorgeous and well equipped and I love the bed. However, the service is not measuring up overall. While there are some outstanding individuals, there are too many cases whereby I need to call to chase. Some of the junior staff especially from housekeeping is not well trained and one can tell they are very uncomfortable when interacting with guests.

Perhaps after a year or so, this hotel will measure up but as at now, I will only rate it a 4/5. It’s a very expensive hotel and it needs to deliver to ensure guests feels they are getting value for money. Just having a nice room is insufficient. Areas that the hotel need to improve especially are the services and the F&B quality. The hotel needs to improve the training of the staff to be more service conscious and prepare to go the extra mile when called for. They should remember that they work for one of the finest luxury hotel chains in the world.

So will I come back? Hard to say but if I ever will to come back to Paris, which is not a certain considering the crime rate and what I have gone through, I am likely to try the Four Seasons George V instead.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are more quiet. Book thru Virtuoso for added amenities
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank BENLEE123

Reviewed 25 August 2011

This brand new addition to Paris' ultra-high-end luxury hotel keeps true to its roots and reminds one of other Mandarin hotels.

Well located near Place Vendome, the facade blends so well with the street that I nearly missed the hotel the first time around. My only issue with the location is did Paris really need another luxury hotel here? Hotel Costes is literally next door, the Westin, Ritz and Meurice around the corner! But I digress....

Inside, the decor is modern and refined, yet understated. My only issue was that the lobby and the restaurant felt small, even tight. They felt more like a professional office's waiting room than somewhere I'd like to linger. There was nowhere to eat outside. (For that, one can go to Costes I guess.) Note that I am reviewing the restaurant Camelia separately.

Rooms are new and beautiful. Service was excellent with everyone trying to be helpful and being extremely welcoming.

As an aside, the hotel's main restaurant is closed on Sunday and Monday, and book up on other nights. Plan / reserve accordingly.

In summary, a terrific hotel, particularly for business. My only issue is that it felt a bit like chain hotel (an incredible chain, mind you, but a chain nonetheless) thus lacking some of the charm that people come to Paris to find.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank SuitNflipflops
Reviewed 21 August 2011

New Mandarin Oriental Paris is a 5 stars class act that delivers everything you would expect. It's address is most prestigious on Rue Saint Honore, Its design beautiful and expensive, it's staff - professional and kind and the Deluxe room i was upgraded to was wonderful, cozy and had the most breathtaking washing room i have seen in a long time. The whole place has an understated wow factor that you would expect from the Mandarin Oriental Brand and i must say i did not come across of any glitches or problems that one might expect from a new operation. Reception and concierge team were especially amazing and if i wasn't so jet legged and forgetful i would write each and everyone's name here. Sorry guys you know who you are!

My only concern for this hotel is that Paris's luxury hotel market is overfloweded already, and i think this new MO has to find its selling idea and differentiation. Where is his place among the "golden triangle" of The Ritz, The Plaza Athenee and .the Four Seasons George V? It certainly charges the same amount per night as the older guys, but what does it bring to the table? The Ritz has an even more prestigious address on Place Vendome, and a lot more history. The Plaza athenee is famous for its fashion crowds and location and the Four Seasons is known for its outstanding service and costumer care. And there are other key players like Le Meurice, Le Bristol, Le Crillion and even Hotel Costes that shares the very same block on Rue Saint Honore with the Oriental. They all are class acts, They all are amazing and Beautiful properties and i'm not quite sure why would one choose MO again when all those amazing options are available.

That said, i did enjoy my stay there and certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank coffeebar
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This hotel is situated in an ideal location on the Rue St Honore, with luxury shops next door and opposite, and only a short 5 min stroll to the Tuillerie Gardens, the Louvre and the Place de la Concorde. The hotel is definitely luxury, but with a modern flair, but also unlike some modern hotels, still has style and elegance. There is an central garden, which is a delight, and although new, has been planted with established shrubs, so offering greenery and privacy, to diners, in fine weather, or for those who want to relax over a drink. The restaurant is excellent, and only does not have a Michelin * as new, and there is a great bar with a buzzing atmosphere. For a city hotel, the indoor pool is large, plus there is an excellent spa, with total privacy, for those who want it. The rooms are tastefully decorated, and spacious, even at the lead in level, and some of the suites are amazing, and individual. Overall very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go for a delux room, and request a balcony, especially in the Summer.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JDTRAVELBrighton
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This was my fourth visit to Paris and my best trip thanks to Mandarin Oriental Paris. The hotel is about one month old so there are minor kinks that need to be worked out, but overall the experience was absolutely superb.

I stay at a lot of five star hotels and have only rated one hotel five stars in the past (Mandarin Oriental Bangkok). Service-wise, the Paris hotel is every bit just as good, if not better than the Oriental hotel in Bangkok.

The location couldn't be any better. The hotel is 1 minute walk to Place Vendome and 4 minutes to the Louvre. Every single luxury brand you could possibly think of is within minutes walk.

Overall, a spectacular experience mostly attributable to the wonderful staff - this is top notch.

BTW, the last hotel I stayed at in Paris was Hotel de Crillon (not too far from the Mandarin Oriental). I think de Crillon is in the same price category, but Mandarin Oriental is 10x better. (de Crillon is old with small rooms and actually a bit spooky)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank tsaoh
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The new Mandarin Oriental is located on the Rue Saint-Honore around the corner from Place Vendome.. We liked the location compared to the Champs Elysee area, where we have always stayed, which is very crowded with tourists. The Mandarin is a newly built modern hotel in Paris which has modern technology including a 32" B&O TV in room, speakers in bathroom, Bowers & Wilkinson iPod dock, USB, AV and HDMI cables ready to plug into TV, music playlist on B&O TV, indoor swimming pool, fitness, steam and spa. Not many hotels in Paris can boast all this. We stayed at the hotel about 2-3 weeks after it opened. There were minor glitches but I hope these were due to the hotel being new and they will improve in the future.

We stayed in a deluxe room located at the back of the hotel facing, well, the back. We stayed for 5 nights at €985 a night and wondered why we got stuffed into a room facing the back with a view of the building next door. The room was very very quiet though, as I think all rooms have double glazed windows. The room was well designed and my only complaint is the shower and bath area being situated inside a cubicle and towel racks were locate inside this cubicle, which had no ventilation, which meant towels were never dry.

Cost of breakfast was steep: €55 for an American breakfast and €45 for Continental for an average breakfast. You can walk down to Laduree for a continental breakfast for €18.

The swimming pool was exceptional as was the fitness centre, which had all new Technogym equipment. Spa was also very good and I'm sure will continue to improve over time.

Staff at the hotel were all very nice and greeted guests whenever they walked by.

We had some complaints about housekeeping but to be fair, they were fixed quickly but you would expect housekeeping to be the most important aspect of guest service and something to be managed well.

Overall, Mandarin Oriental has the potential to rival the other 5 star hotels in Paris and certainly they have priced their rooms to Four Seasons level. For sure, the facilities were worth the rate we paid, and so was the service, but I feel they need that extra step to make the experience much more memorable and keeping in par with the service Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong is famous for.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lovetotravelhk
MOPAR_11, Coordinatrice Marketing at Mandarin Oriental, Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate your comments and are delighted to hear about your experience. Your comments will be shared with our team and we hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Paris.

Best regards
Alexia Gobit-Abril
Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed 24 July 2011

We got there 1 week after they opened, stayed 2 week (were their 1st long-stay guests).

There were a few 1st-days' glitches; all fixed prompty, with an apology and usually something to make up for it.

Rooms were very appealing & clean, with wonderful flower arrangements.

When I asked, last day but one, when checkout time is, Charlotte's reply was "when do you want it to be?"; I almost fell on the floor; she gave us plenty of time to stay until we had to goto the train, so we had an extra day to enjoy Paris.

Celine reacted promptly, courteously &efficiently to any comments of ours. Called the London Mandarin ahead of our arrival, and we had wine &fruit & flowers when we got there -- plus the most elegant Email we ever got!.

Concierge desk was great, esp. Dmitri; when we left on a rainy day, they chased us w/an umbrella; almost forced us to take 2 of their umbrellas with us to London. They were very efficient, telling us to _them_ worry about arrangements.

Hotel works with a good guide company, paris-addict; that company's Charles Cousin "le grand Charles") is 1st-rate.

Our room faced courtyard, was very quiet, even though courtyard has restaurant &bar. Courtyard is full of appealing trees &plants.

We enjoyed the place a lot, will most probably return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GideonSeattle
MOPAR_11, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate your comments and are delighted to hear about your experience . Your comments will be shared with our team and we hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Paris