“Come for the adorable "mini booths" outside the cafe, stay for the rocking cuisine”
Review of Cafe Germain

Cafe Germain
Ranked #9,476 of 17,522 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The restaurant and bar was absolutely outstanding. I went last night because as I was walking by, the adorable little mini "booths" they have outside just looked like plain fun to eat at. I was expecting it to be charming, but was shocked at how AMAZING the food was. I had their fish tartare appetizer, I believe it was Dorado Fish. It was so good, I thought I would weep at the delightful flavorings and thoughtful accompaniment of dill and cucumber. I followed it with their seasonal vegetable soup. It was creamy and full of flavor. The waiter was so attentive and kind, by the end of the night (I liked the place so much I moved to their bar area to finish enjoying the suburb Sancerre they served) I considered him a friend.

The music was great, the crowd a great mix of french hipsters, NY business folks, artists, old and young alike.

I will be back. Maybe tonight! The fish is calling me…

There are newer reviews for Cafe Germain

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We were staying in Latin Quarter & were looking forward to dining in some of the local restaurants based on TA reviews. Unfortunately on our first night, we wanted to dine early (before 7pm) as we'd had an early start - this limited our preferred options & ended up at Germain. Due to previous reviews, I was concerned that we'd end up with poor food + standard of service. Fortunately neither was the case which may/may not have been helped by our "early" start. We had great steaks & wine. My wife/son were very happy to see the restaurant cat sitting in the middle of the restaurant next to one of the tables - whether UK H&S would have approved who knows!! The bill was on the high side but I was relieved that the overall experience had been a success.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We took a friend and her daughter (resident in Paris) here for dinner, based on a guidebook recommendation. Although we hadn't booked they found us a great table, with comfortable chairs and ample space. The service was friendly, professional and informative. The menu was not extensive, but the food was excellent and well presented, and I loved the little paper bags of fresh bread that arrived with the food. Portions were adequate rather than ample. Reasonable value for the quality of the food, drink and ambience.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Germain experience

We ate lunch at Germain in New Years day. Saw chef droppi carrot to the kitchen floor and still making juice out of it. Luckiky we didn't order carrot juice, it was the next table from us. Burger was ok but at the price of 22€ way too pricy. My BLT was the worse ever. Sandwich came from fridge. Everhthing was cold, chicken, bread, bacon. I asked waiter a warm one and my sandwish was slightly warmed. The bread was super hard and I got cuts to my mouth. In the city of food I urge to choose some place else.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I was on Paris for a day visit with a family member, and we went into this cafe for lunch. Waitress was very slow and indifferent, with a shoulder handbag; I din't know if there was staff or just a customer, never seen anything like that..I called the waitress to order, and she came and told me that had to charge another table first and she would come to me afterwards..I waited and she came, I ordered wine, and set lunch menu, 3 courses to choose from a sheet of paper; First course arrived quite promptly, but the beef fillet ( well done) we have ordered took more than 45 minutes; I reminded the waitress for the second course, and told me she was going to have a look…Weel, beef fillets arrived, and much for our surprise, wasn't well done at all, it was rare as blood was coming out of the fillet; I try to chew a piece, and I couldn't swallow it; It was like rubber..I complained to Lisa, the waitress, and she told me what could I expect from a steak of 14 €…She put me off and I asked for the bill to leave the place…
The bill came with bottle of red wine ( 33€), and one full set menu (23€) despite to be two persons eating and just having the starter…Very unprofessional and very very disappointing experience…They spoilt our day in Paris..I never been so dissapontinted…Never again..

1  Thank Alex P