“Air conditioning 'broken'”

Ranked #530 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Air conditioning 'broken'”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My family and I stayed in the last weekend of March, a weekend which was terribly unusual as it was 23/24 degrees centigrade. This was a problem for the hotel as the heating had not yet been turned off.
When I complained on the first night I was rudely told to hold on the phone, then to find out the woman put the phone down on me. I went down to the desk to complain where again rudely spoken to, and told all i could do was to open the window, which was inplausable due to it being saturday night.
I found out from another guest that it wasnt just the heating in my room that had broken, but that the air conditioning is not turned on until may. This ruined my stay due to me not sleeping the duration of the trip.
Also, on our second night our keys would not work and the staff were unhelpful, making us go up and down the stairs some 5/6 times.

Very unhelpful staff that told us to 'complain in the morning'
Finally, returning home from my stay I have discovered that the payment for the stay has been taken out of my account twice, something which they are now denying.

Decor is tacky, felt like i was in benidorm not paris.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank lauramacgregs
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear lauramacgregs,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 March 2012 via mobile

I was quite disappointed with the quality of this Holiday Inn as compared to others.  My biggest issue was the AC did not work for a full week.  Despite the outside temperature of 46F/8C at night, the room would be 80F/27C. The front desk suggested we just open the window.  While that was fine during the day, the noise from the street prevented any sleep.  The front desk was generally rude on other subjects as well.  When asked for dining recommendations, they just shrugged and said "walk around until you find something".  "No, extra room charges such as breakfast and mini-bar can't be added to the bill, and need to be paid in cash".  What?  I was disappointed at the lack of WiFi despite advertisement that they offered it, and the "broadband" topped out around 30kbps.  I had a great time in Paris otherwise, but won't make the mistake of ever staying in a Holiday Inn again.

Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Nick D
Nick D,

Thank you for your stay, and taking time to provide feedback. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Great location with a metro across the street and plenty of bistros and shops nearby. The room was clean and comfortable and although small, bigger than many NYC hotels rooms I've stayed in. Staff was very helpful with directions and suggestions for restaurants and bars.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Canyonlover
joel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.
It is very important to have your feedback on your stay in our property.

Your comments well be forwared to all the staff.

We hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Brand for your future travel needs.

Dublin
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed here for a weekend in February. We were very impressed with the hotel. The location is very central and the decor is modern, clean and bright. Although our room wasn't huge, it was a good size for Paris and very comfortable. This hotel was good value and we would stay here again next time we visit Paris.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GraceMay1
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The hotel is good, rooms are clean, nice location and you don't pay much. For me it was a very good choice for the amount I paid. Staff are doing their best to make you happy!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ramy S
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week in January 2012 for our wedding anniversary. Last year I stayed at the Holiday Inn Notre Dame on rue Danton and the furnishings and bathroom decor were identical. Very clean and decorated nicely in black, white, mauves and purples. Its a very upbeat modern Asian decor, down to the bamboo decorated hair and body soaps provided. The room we stayed in was VERY small; the bed was a double and nice and firm, covered with a comfy down comforter and there were two types of pillows, hard and soft to choose from. The room was immaculately cleaned. The space and storage constraint was a bit of a problem... no dresser or end table drawers to put your clothes in, only a small facing forward hanger rack and shelving. There was a 6" space from the bottom of the bed to the desk, so I mean tight. Since we spent virtually all our time out of the room, not too much of a problem. The room temperature was fine, and I could even open the window for some fresh air... but no balcony in this room. Also, the key system failed 3 times during our stay and I had to have the front desk re-swipe it. And yes, the Architect who designed the bathroom had brilliant ideas, like Frank Lloyd Wright, but when it got down to actually building the bathroom, no one seemed to build a prototype and actually test it out. If you turn the shower head on first with the sliding door open, water sprays all over the floor. You have to turn the body jets on first. You cannot operate the rear glass door to enter from the back, it is fixed. The sink faucet is an innovative tube but is mounted less than one inch away from the wall and nearly impossible to turn on and off... need I say more? The other reveiwers got the correct impression of the foyer... glitter ball? and the lack of anyone at the bar. The breakfast is served downstairs and we never at there once; it was 18 euros per person for the buffet. We found a good Boulanger/Patissier called "Thevenin" on Rue Notre Dame des Champs, across the square from the St. Placide Metro (where you need to go to explore Paris) that sells great quiches, juice, pastries and coffee (there are small high tables to eat) for a lot less ... we spent no more than 15 euros for both of us. They also sell chocolates and sandwiches too, good if you want to grab something and go. Overall, this is a good place to stay if you want to go on a budget and want a nice clean place to stay, and you are planning to use the Metro alot and you do not plan on being in the room for long periods of time. The hotel is close to the Luxembourg Gardens and Montparnasseand close by Metro to St Germain and Notre Dame.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SylvieRydal
joel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Thank you for comments regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the thechnical problem.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn for your future travel needs.

Yours Faithfully
Finland
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed about a week and while I was not blown away, the place did grow on me over time. The hotel seems to be quite old, so the changes to the new Holiday Inn colors of purple and silver made for an incongruous fit. I must be getting old or something because I find the glitter balls a bit silly. Is Liberace the brand spokesman these days? That said, the effect at other Holiday Inn's (e.g. Notre Dame) seems to work a bit better. It may help that the hotel there seems newer.

Age tells in other areas too. The lobby area feels cramped, with a low ceiling and general lack of ambience. The lifts are tiny and awkward and the room key system is from another planet - a stonkingly big plastic key with a weird shape and proximity sensor that doesn't fit in your wallet. Put it this way, they give you a demo at the front desk because it is so unintuitive to use. Who made the decision to use that system - it is ludicrous!

There is no food to speak of really once breakfast is finished although they do have a menu with a pizza and a few other small items. I recommend the restaurant diagonally opposite the hotel, above the best western. Service there was brilliant and the prices were very reasonable as well. Breakfast itself was fine - not spectacular by any means and no cappuccino if you like that in the morning. Service was friendly there though.

The rooms are small but reasonable for Paris. Bathroom design is not very functional though - with one of those plastic dividers that only stretches about two feet before stopping. So, water pretty much goes everywhere when you take a shower. Not really a problem if you are staying by yourself but could be annoying if sharing a room as you try to soak up the water with the spare towels.

The TV was poor - which seems par for the course in the ICH hotel chain in Paris. Buttons are slow to respond, there is no channel listing provided and the range of channels is poor compared to say, Hyatt hotels. The internet connection was glacial - perhaps the worst I have experienced at a hotel in years.

Airconditioning did not appear to work - I boiled every night for 6 nights, despite setting it at the lowest possible temperature. This was one of the main annoyances of the stay but eventually, like someone living next to a train station, I got used to it.

Lighting - I don't know why hotels try so hard to keep people in the dark but I could barely manage a skype call with my family because it was so dark. I had to activate the flashlight on my mobile phone and point it at my face so my family could identify me. This was an especially annoying feature of the room, which otherwise was fine. The bed was soft compared to Hilton and Hyatt chains but this is down to personal choice.

Location is great - loads of shops, restaurants etc nearby, good links to the Metro as well. And, as the week went on, the staff were more friendly and responsive. Overall, the main problems related to the hotel design, its age and the overall package offered to guests. Service was ok by Paris standards even if it wouldn't be confused for a hotel in Singapore. Once you get used to the limitations of the hotel, you spend more time outdoors, enjoying Paris. And, with a good location, that is not such a bad thing. However, with that logic, you would not want to pay too much, which may be why this hotel is often inexpensive relative to similarly branded hotels in Paris.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Suomessa
Thank you for comment regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Yours Faithfully