“You get what you pay for”

Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg
Ranked #1,061 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 26 December 2013

When we stayed in this hotel (Fall 2013) this was -and by far- the best combination of cost/location and quality. That is why I give it 4 stars. To top it all the staff is absolutely first rate. And Sigmund Freud (one of my heroes) stayed there so my Dreams were informative and relieving (jaja) Now for the minuses: the rooms can be small (you should ask for the ones directly on the street they are full of charm!) and the bathrooms even more (I am 6'1 and it was a challenge to take a shower). And there is the Wifi provided by your favorite incumbent phone company (Orange) that was totally substandard (I was told it was going to be upgraded). Unless by budget improves significantly I will continue to patronize this hotel.
PS The restaurant in the basement serves a reasonable breakfast but if you want "real Paris flavor" go to the little cafe at the corner or the one in front of the the Luxembourg....

Room Tip: Specifically ask for "bigger rooms" in top floors
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jose A

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This review represents an average of what would have been a zero for the first room I stayed in, and a three for the second two nights of my stay. The first room was on the 6th floor (#26). There was essentially no heat in the room; it had a single, terribly uncomfortable bed, and a tiny bathroom with a towel warmer that I hoped would warm up the bathroom - but did not work. To top it off, the metal cover at the top of the shower came crashing down - fortunately I was not under it at the time. I was able to switch rooms the next day (third floor #14), and what a difference that made. Heat, a double bed and a reasonable view. WIFI was intermittent in the rooms but was included. The breakfast was good, and convenient given that we had to be out early. The location was fine for wandering around this part of Paris - close to the Sorbonne and Institute Curie and off course Luxembourg Gardens. Downside to the hotel - nice staff, but totally incompetent with giving directions. I would also not ask for restaurant recommendations. Try someplace else if you can, and if not, avoid the sixth floor!

Room Tip: Room selection critical - 3rd floor rooms are probably fine - can't comment on the other floors...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JBLanghorne
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Excellent location, steps from Luxembourg gardens and the Luxembourg RER stop. On a small, quiet street. Staff was friendly enough. Breakfast was simple, but good; unfortunately in the basement level with no view - I'd rather sit in a cafe. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: 17 was nice, 4th floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank travelalotParis
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was a hidden away little gen with small, but oh so clean rooms! The front desk staff were so friendly and helpful, and everyone from the cleaning staff to breakfast chef were just wonderful. Love this place!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lorna R
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located about 2 minutes away from Luxembourg gardens and the underground. So getting to the hotel is easy.

Very close to the pantheon.

Rooms are on the smaller side but the location is a trade off. Not much of a view. Would recommend this for a couple of nights max.

Staff are polite and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank rwap
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This place was unimaginably bad. Nothng like the pictures we had seen. The room was horrible, small, dark, - and when we got off the elevator to go to our room, the sensor lights in the hallway on our floor never went on - and we found ourselves in total darkness trying to find our door (which by the way had no room number on it!) The little bar they showed was a wooden barrel type table in their tiny entry way. Their little outdoor area was a glassed in area with weeds. We overlooked a dumpster (how appropriate!). The staff were unpleasant. Can't say enough about how bad our experience was. All I can say is - don't stay here....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Judi S
Reviewed 6 June 2013

This was the worst of the 6 hotels we stayed in Europe. The room was tiny and had a motel room kind of feel, and had an odd smell. The "balcony" was a 6" ledge with a railing that all the windows in Paris has.

Worst of all, the toilet wasn't great and got clogged the first night. There was no plunger or toilet brush or anything. I went down to ask for one, and the guy at the desk informed me there was not a single plunger in the entire hotel, and told me I can't expect them to fix it at 10pm (even though I wanted to fix it myself,) and said it was, I quote, "my fault" it got clogged.

The only pluses was that the daytime woman working downstairs was very nice, and the location was pretty good.

For nearly 200 Euros a night, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple