“Such a shame”
Review of Villa Beaumarchais

Villa Beaumarchais
Ranked #441 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Hotel has one amazing thing going for it: the location. Am afraid to say that's all folks. Arrived at night to a sad slow night porter/ receptionist that took a while to do anything when I was the only person at reception. Got given my key and went up to a tired old room that was as hot as a sauna. Heating was on and also an extra heater was in the room even though the weather in Paris was super hot. The bin was on the desk. There were footprints on the bathroom floor. Tv remote not working and the bed was as hard as I imagine a prison bed to be with lumpy synthetic cushions and what felt like grit or salt on the sheets so had to take them off and shake them. Bathroom toiletries are cheap and nasty and that old money saving trick of half a loo roll and tissues. I feel ripped off and it is not fair to charge ridiculous prices for something out dated, tired, worn everywhere from carpets to bathroom. Loud cleaning staff talking in corridors and doors constantly slamming. This is not acceptable anymore as travellers and guests don't want to put up with this bad service. This hotel needs to be bought and totally renovated with staff that care and an attention to detail and it would be a fantastic hotel in a fantastic location sadly as it is now it is a sinking ship and glad i was only here for one night also I stayed on a deal with late rooms. Never again am just thankful that I paid a discounted rate because I would even more upset if I was the idiot paying full rate to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank georgina14

Reviewed 3 September 2013

very disappointed with the hotel, the room was very tired compared with the pictures etc you see online and no tea/coffee in the room. location was good with a metro station close by. but i won't stay there again and not a 4 star as advertise would definately suggest looking at other hotels for your stay as like me i think you would be disappointed for what you get for your money

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clatters2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Let's start with the good points:

- Great location
- Friendly receptionist

Now, all that comes at a very high price. This hotel, which claims to be a four star hotel, is very poorly managed and its equipment is even more poorly maintained.

The first alarm sign was their elevator that "sometimes works". More often than not, its doors closed but went nowhere. Fortunately it is in a glass cage so even if you are claustrophobic, you may not be getting a panic attack every time you use it.

I will skip the other details, such as the internet connection that didn't work part of the time etc. and go to my specific experience which happened as I was preparing to check out to catch my red-eye flight.

As always, I put my passport in the in-room safe. The safe was electronic. I used a very simple code to lock it and it worked OK several times. As I was getting ready to pack, I tried to open it but it did not recognize my code. After three attempts it locked for 15 minutes.

I went downstairs to the reception and asked for assistance. The receptionist was ALONE and said he COULD NOT HELP ME BECAUSE HE COULD NOT LEAVE THE RECEPTION AREA.

He said another person would come in AN HOUR LATER. This was four hours before my scheduled departure from CDG.

When the other person, who happened to be another receptionist and NOT a maintenance person, finally arrived, he looked in vain for the override key for that safe.

The override key for that safe was missing.

He then, as an exercise in futility, tried the override keys that belong to all other rooms. Of course, none worked.

At no point did they call a technician or a locksmith to try and open the malfunctioning safe.

As my passport was in the safe I COULD NOT CHECK IN FOR MY FLIGHT. The next flight was leaving the next day and I had to pay for a new ticket. I explained the situation to the receptionist but as a receptionist, his actions were limited. Apparently he was instructed NOT to call a professional locksmith or disturb any decision makers on their day of rest.

It seems like the "manager" was away on vacation, leaving this "four star" hotel in the hands of a sole receptionist.

The end of the story was that THE NEXT MORNING, someone came with an electric saw and cut the safe, which, by the way, was not attached to any structure, in half. I was "allowed" to stay in the hotel until my next flight (the following night) but was not in any other way compensated.

The worst part of this story is that to date, THE MANAGER NEVER FOLLOWED UP WITH ME. She ignored my email and did not come good on the receptionist's promise for compensation.

Their sub-par maintenance caused me to miss my nonrefundable flight. Their absent manager and her indifference makes me think this is not an isolated incident.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank WADan
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed here for a few days earlier this August. Some earlier reviews had warned of plumbing issues, and as my experience demonstrates, these have clearly not been resolved. Our bathroom had a weird leak from the shower which extended into the room, and eventually much of the floor in the bedroom was moist, with the carpet emitting a weird smell. Our complaint resulted in no action for a day and a half, though they did eventually let us change the room. The hotel staff, while not entirely unfriendly, did exhibit a certain impatience and defensiveness. The location is decent, though on the quiet end of the Marais and within easy walking distance to many key sights, including the Victor Hugo house. We were asked to pay an additional fee beyond the fees already paid as part of our online booking through travelocity and were told these were standard tourism fees (about 2 euro per person per day), though no such fees were charged to me in any of the other hotels where I stayed in France.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nina045
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We were booked here with Elderhostel Intergenerational Program. The staff were so kind to us as we organized our trip on a daily basis. They were so helpful when we lost a couple of grandmothers one night at the Eiffel Tower. Long story with a very happy ending. The rooms were so comfortable with huge towels for the teenage girls. The breakfast each morning was good with the best coffee and fresh fruit. Stay here if you can...

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor since the elevator (beautiful old one) is often out of order.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed here for a week in August. I can't begin to say how much we enjoyed it. The staff was wonderful, friendly and very helpful. The location is perfect! A quiet street, but walking distance to a lot of activity...great shops and restaurants. And metro stops nearby. Although the hotel is old and could use a little freshening up, we were quite pleased with our accommodations. The breakfast (included with our room rate) was more than ample and those croissants were just delicious! And, most important to me, the bathroom was very clean! I highly recommend Villa Beaumarchais and would definitely stay here again. Thank you to all who made our stay so pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Friendly and helpful hotel with courteous staff .Quiet rooms overlooking a central courtyard .Prompt room service and nice decor .The pillows and bed were comfortable .
As a garden lover it pained me to see the small trees unwatered and brown in the balconies -just delegate a room service operator to water once a week .

Room Tip: Higher up the levels and some seemed to have nice balconies .
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sébastien D, Responsable relations publiques at Villa Beaumarchais, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear Madam,

We thank you very much for your kind message on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Villa Beaumarchais and we took note of your remarks regarding the trees outside.

We would like to inform you that there is no balcony at all in our property, just some window boxes on the ledges.

Looking very much forward welcoming you again in Paris, we remain,

Yours sincerelly,