“Condescending to foreigners”
Review of Legendre Ideal

Legendre Ideal
Reserve with
Legendre Ideal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,146 of 17,315 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Condescending to foreigners”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I'm Asian American and my friend is African American. Why does that matter? You'll see. Both of us are not new to visiting Paris and have spent a combined 15 years of learning French. I work in languages myself. Despite our speaking in French, the owner insisted on speaking in English. He boasted loudly in English about the exotic tomatoes in the appetizer we ordered, to the point that his table of friends next to us took notice. He went to the table next to us and, at that point, what we heard was "putain de vietnamienne" twice and laughter.

Now I can't ever prove to you that that comment was meant for me, but we left, stating very clearly our reasons. The owner ran after us and angrily said that they were talking about literature and: "We weren't speaking in English...This is not your country to do things like this. I will call the police." I do not think we did anything, since we didn't even touch the food. The choice is yours to give them the benefit of the doubt or not.

• Visited August 2011