“Glorified Hostel”

Ranked #578 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Glorified Hostel”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We arrived to a most unpleasant welcome from a woman I can only describe as Grotbags. She made us feel as far away from home as possible - holding us to ransom before we obtained our room key. Our 'superior' room was atrocious. Tiny. However the shower was good. No tea / coffee facility in the room for £150 a night - Bizarre. Would be classified no higher than 2 star in UK. Our room door more or less opened in to the claustrophobic lift. I think you need to book the lift otherwise you'll be waiting for up to 10 minutes on it arriving. Kept us awake a lot of the night. There didn't appear to be stairs which I think is illegal. 5 floors too. Shower was good though. I spent 45mins in it one day to avoid having to go back in to the room. The customer sevice was abysmal. Avoid the breakfast as well if you ever have the misfortune of being confined to this hotel. Left feeling ashamed, frustrated, disappointed but clean.

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank MayMcFetridge
Le_responsable, Propriétaire at Hotel Alhambra, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear madam,Sir,

The severity of your comment is surprising given the numerous favorable comments from other customers!

The hotel is classified 3 stars by an official commission because we have services corresponding to European classification criteria; dimensions and equipments of the rooms, room service / bar in the lounge or in the room and availability for customers...
We are very surprised that you did not find the stairs in the hotel.

Our prices are in the Parisian average and not comparable to those to New York and London.

Reading your review, we wondered if you were really our client or if you have confused us with another hotel!

We also confirm that the hotel is new and our breakfast room is for 40 persons and you can use the nice garden for the breakfast too.

How can you evaluate the hotel and its services while you've not used some such as breakfast, room service and bar...

We regret very much that you have not expressed your comments with our team during your stay in order to respond better to your requests and to satisfy you!

We also regret that you have not taken the time to appreciate our house and its neighborhood "Marais" which represents a main interest historically, culturally and touristically.

Revise your opinion by coming back to the Hotel Alhambra for another stay.

Your new point of view will undoubtedly be very different!

The comments from all our customers are very important and help us to improve the quality of our service and to better satisfy their expectations.

The Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel in which I stayed for 3 nights. Amazingly friendly concierge, clean and brightly colored room (I even got a small 'living-room' extension with TV), very decent buffet breakfast downstairs. Perfectly located at the 'top' of Le Marais, not far away from rue de Bretagne in which one can find a very nice traditional cheesemonger and French bookstore, amongst others. Very close to the metro station so taking the tube can be an alternative, but walking through Le Marais down to the Seine is also very pleasant. I would strongly recommend this hotel which is great value for money!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank travelwise24
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I spent two wonderful nights at this cozy and nice hotel. The staff is simply great and overall the service was perfect! Clean and fresh rooms, comfortable beds, enough space, two steps away from a metro station, wonderful garden... The receptionist is such a funny and friendly guy :) We really have not a single complain
Btw if you decide to book a room there, do it via the hotel website directly. It will be cheaper than doing it via some of the popular booking sites.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra R
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 21 April 2014

A nice, modern and inexpensive hotel near the Repulique square, at the 11th Arrondissement. The rooms are small, but the bathrooms are spacious. The furniture, accessories and colors are new and quaintly modern. Not much space for storing (cupboards or hangers).

Friendly gentlemen at the reception are worth mentioning. As well is the lovely but arrogant hotel cat at the hotel's inner yard. The yard with a modest garden was, in fact a pleasant addition to our nice stay at the hotel Alhambra.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Alhambra with my partner and two children. The room was lovely, although fairly small. The kids had a large sofa bed to sleep on.
We were on the 4th floor, overlooking the street. It was extremely quiet. Bathroom was v nice too, although again small. Breakfast was ok. Nothing special and not huge choice, but good quality cheese and bread and the best scrambled egg I have ever had in a hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Was nearby and needed a room for a night or two. I've checked the room on the fifth floor and agreed to take one, but the lady at the reception needed my passport. I've confirmed the booking and asked to keep it for 20 minutes, as I needed to bring my luggage and passport from another location. Once I was back with my luggage I found the room was "rented away" to someone else. The alternative room was a bad option, as was on the dark side on the fist floor. Moreover, the "lady" at the reception haven't even apologized, refused to show that another room justifying I was not buying the hotel, and that she doesn't want to waste time on me. She was so unexpectedly rude and unfriendly, that hasn't left any willingness to stay. At the end we've found even better and less costly alternative within 200 meters. Don't waste your time dealing with unpleasant people while your vacation - stay away from this hole.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Paul_Bond_S
Le_responsable, Propriétaire at Hotel Alhambra, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Customers,

Reading your review, you appreciate the hotel and for us , it is the most important thing for us but not the staff.

When you check in , the rules in France , is to take the ID.

Sometime we have to change the room for a good reason , only for satisfy our clients.

Sincerely and no ill feelings.

The Management.
Copenhagen
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Modern hotel, I can recommend the top floor, where I stayed.
Rooms are small, but actually exactely what you need for a stay in Paris, where you are out and about all the time. Most importantly it is very clean and modern.
The neighbourhood is nice, with some good places to go out and have dinner.
I strongly recommend the restaurant Ober-Salé, just 100m from the hotel on Rue Oberkampf 17.

Room Tip: I was staying in room 503 on the top floor. View to the garden. No noice. Great lighting, with a Ve...