“An Eccentric Experience!”

Ranked #991 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Brisbane, Australia
“An Eccentric Experience!”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is the third hotel my friend and I stayed in Paris during a week. It was rather nice. We used the Metro, so it was in a convenient location. Our view was on the 2nd floor and outside was the 'L' of the 'hotel' sign. The receptionist was.. Eccentric! When we first came in he asked my friend and I 'if we got lucky on New Years Eve!' and did.. ahem.. a thrust manoeuvre! The next morning he was dancing with one of the cleaning ladies and on our final morning he wanted a photo with me and my friend and basically half hugged us! (I thankfully had my ski jacket and my backpack on! Too close for comfort!) So he was not at all.. professional. Though he told us about a dinner cruise along the Seine and happily booked it for my friend and I, which we enjoyed thoroughly on our final evening in Paris!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travel_LiveLaughLove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Small room in pleasant hotel in the Latin Quarter, just a few blocks from the Seine and the Pantheon, at a great price. Staff was friendly and amenities were everything they should be. I’d happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for 2 years in a row and I would definitely go back. It is in a fantastic location for bars, restaurants and sight seeing. The hotel is really clean and staff are friendly. Would recommend booking the shuttle bus through the hotel, to return to the airport, it is cheap and saves a lot of hassle. I would recommend this hotel for young couples just wanting to see Paris.

1 Thank Lauren S
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This hotel was my worst experience. Hotel Staff and Manager not professional, unpleasant and also not customer oriented. Management seems to care only about money and service they are supposed to offer for that money. Ready to support my thought concretely, on demand. Manager yelled at me for 20 min for bringing my 4 year old that was a free person in our room. Crazy pyscho manager first yelled at me about the child and then yelled that he's a man and we must respect him. I was very afraid of staying at the hotel. I would STRONGLY advise people do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Manager is a psycho and very irrate and rude so this hotel should be avoided at all costs!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank HB2013186605

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Hull, east Yorkshire, uk
Reviewed 29 March 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights in Paris and stayed at this hotel. We booked it due the combination of low price and good location. It's within walking distance of the Louvre and Notre Dame, albeit fairly long walks but then you do get to see the centre of Paris in all of its beauty. It's also only a few hundred yards from the nearest metro station.

On arrival the concierge at the desk was very helpful, spoke excellent English and was generally friendly. He explained that there were several rooms free and asked if we would like to see them all before chosing one which was a nice gesture. The rooms were all similar- fairly small with odd sit-down showers which make bathing a little difficult - definitely NOT recommended for anyone with a physical disability. The beds were ok, not particularly comfortable, however everything seemed clean and tidy.

Breakfast is in the basement and consists of the normal European fare - a bit of bread, some croissants, yoghurts, cereal, juice etc. Nothing amazing but not bad considering it all comes in with the price of the hotel.

The hotel arranged a pickup to take us back to the airport, however they neglected to tell us that would take several hours as the taxi also picked up from several other hotels from the city centre. By the time we got to the airport we were getting very stressed that we would miss our flight as the journey had taken at least an hour longer than the staff at the hotel informed us that it would. If we had known beforehand we would probably have plumped on getting back to CDG via the Metro and train as some other reviewers have suggested.

2 Thank Glasstable2011
palatine, il
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I don't know how this hotel is a 3 star hotel..... I travel a lot through Europe and I have never seen such poorly run hotel. I came here with a class group for an MBA program for a week.

It started off with the room and not knowing the showers are elevated and sit-in showers so the shower head is waist high - and i'm 5'1!!!!

I got stuck in the elevator today by myself and it took 40 minutes to get a maintenance guy to come - missed my class. Elevator was stuck on main floor and front desk guy was not more than 10 feet away did not even hear me ring the alarm. Terrible inattentive staff.

Clean lady - terrible, right now i'm staring at my shoe bag being stuck partially in the LOCKED fridge because SHE opened it and got the string to the shoe bag stuck inside. In the 6 days i've been hear, even after I've USED the plastic cups they give me, they only give me new ones 3 DAYS later!!!

Breakfast - bare minimum and each time i've gone down their I have had to find the staff to give me coffee and bread. They are either chatting or eating themselves in their little room.

I understand that Paris hotels are small, but if they are a 3 star, at least show some customer service. My main issue is with the front desk guy in the morning - he did not hear me stuck in the elevator. Nor does he provide consistent information. The other two guys are GREAT!

This is a great location since it is close to the Sorbonne University - but please there are so many other options for expected quality.

Room Tip: Walk up/down stairs to avoid getting stuck on elevator
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank pinks101
Llandudno
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The hotel Des Arenes is situated in the Latin Quarter and is only 100 yards or so from the Place Monge Metro station which gives you easy access to Central Paris and all the main places of interest, so is ideally suited to a stay in the Capital.
The hotel itself is clean and tidy. Is on six floors with the top floors having a nice little balcony. It is surprisingly quiet at night despite its location and you will get a good nights sleep here too. The breakfast room, which is basically what it is, is in the basement and looks a bit like a cafe. The breakfast is typically 'continental' and consists of a bread basket containing a bread roll, a croissant, a pain au chocolat and some Melba toast. You also get a variety of cheeses and preserves and either tea, chocolate or coffee. Cereals, yoghurts and fruit juice is also available. Not an amazing choice but fresh and on a par with most other French hotels. The rooms are cleaned daily and to a good standard. The one gripe however is that the toilet is on one side of the room and the bathroom on the other. Both the toilet and the shower are so small it was slightly awkward to move about about. I am not aware how many rooms are in this setup thought, it may just be room 63.
The reception is open 24hrs and the staff are friendly and helpful. They do however do their best to try and sell you transfers to the Airport for €32. Not worth it as you are so close to the Metro with easy access to the railway to CDG . (Take the RER-B, from Chatelet station)
The hotel is in the heart of the Latin Quarter and numerous bars and restaurants are only a a short walk away.
All in all, we had a pleasant stay at the Des Arenes. Having read some of the reviews I did have my reservations about staying here, these were immediately dismissed on seeing the hotel for myself. I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

4 Thank LenDudno