“Well located, quiet, pleasant”
Review of Hotel des Arenes

Hotel des Arenes
Ranked #1,101 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The rooms are not big, which is to be expected in Paris. However, they are more than enough to live and sleep in since you will most likely spend little time in them. The hotel staff are extremely polite, helpful and can communicate in many languages (mainly French, English, Spanish and German). The location is certainly the hotel's best feature. In the heart of the Quartier Latin in the fifth arrondissement of Paris, it is walking distance from the Pantheon and not too far for postcards like the Eiffel Tower or the Champs-Élysées. Over all I had a very good stay and no problems whatsoever with the hotel. I would definitely stay at the Hotel des Arènes again.

Room Tip: Rooms that have a view to the Arènes de Lutèce tend to be smaller.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SFau_13

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is the third hotel my friend and I stayed in Paris during a week. It was rather nice. We used the Metro, so it was in a convenient location. Our view was on the 2nd floor and outside was the 'L' of the 'hotel' sign. The receptionist was.. Eccentric! When we first came in he asked my friend and I 'if we got lucky on New Years Eve!' and did.. ahem.. a thrust manoeuvre! The next morning he was dancing with one of the cleaning ladies and on our final morning he wanted a photo with me and my friend and basically half hugged us! (I thankfully had my ski jacket and my backpack on! Too close for comfort!) So he was not at all.. professional. Though he told us about a dinner cruise along the Seine and happily booked it for my friend and I, which we enjoyed thoroughly on our final evening in Paris!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Travel_LiveLaughLove
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Small room in pleasant hotel in the Latin Quarter, just a few blocks from the Seine and the Pantheon, at a great price. Staff was friendly and amenities were everything they should be. I’d happily stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for 2 years in a row and I would definitely go back. It is in a fantastic location for bars, restaurants and sight seeing. The hotel is really clean and staff are friendly. Would recommend booking the shuttle bus through the hotel, to return to the airport, it is cheap and saves a lot of hassle. I would recommend this hotel for young couples just wanting to see Paris.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This hotel was my worst experience. Hotel Staff and Manager not professional, unpleasant and also not customer oriented. Management seems to care only about money and service they are supposed to offer for that money. Ready to support my thought concretely, on demand. Manager yelled at me for 20 min for bringing my 4 year old that was a free person in our room. Crazy pyscho manager first yelled at me about the child and then yelled that he's a man and we must respect him. I was very afraid of staying at the hotel. I would STRONGLY advise people do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Manager is a psycho and very irrate and rude so this hotel should be avoided at all costs!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank HB2013186605
Reviewed 29 March 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights in Paris and stayed at this hotel. We booked it due the combination of low price and good location. It's within walking distance of the Louvre and Notre Dame, albeit fairly long walks but then you do get to see the centre of Paris in all of its beauty. It's also only a few hundred yards from the nearest metro station.

On arrival the concierge at the desk was very helpful, spoke excellent English and was generally friendly. He explained that there were several rooms free and asked if we would like to see them all before chosing one which was a nice gesture. The rooms were all similar- fairly small with odd sit-down showers which make bathing a little difficult - definitely NOT recommended for anyone with a physical disability. The beds were ok, not particularly comfortable, however everything seemed clean and tidy.

Breakfast is in the basement and consists of the normal European fare - a bit of bread, some croissants, yoghurts, cereal, juice etc. Nothing amazing but not bad considering it all comes in with the price of the hotel.

The hotel arranged a pickup to take us back to the airport, however they neglected to tell us that would take several hours as the taxi also picked up from several other hotels from the city centre. By the time we got to the airport we were getting very stressed that we would miss our flight as the journey had taken at least an hour longer than the staff at the hotel informed us that it would. If we had known beforehand we would probably have plumped on getting back to CDG via the Metro and train as some other reviewers have suggested.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Glasstable2011
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I don't know how this hotel is a 3 star hotel..... I travel a lot through Europe and I have never seen such poorly run hotel. I came here with a class group for an MBA program for a week.

It started off with the room and not knowing the showers are elevated and sit-in showers so the shower head is waist high - and i'm 5'1!!!!

I got stuck in the elevator today by myself and it took 40 minutes to get a maintenance guy to come - missed my class. Elevator was stuck on main floor and front desk guy was not more than 10 feet away did not even hear me ring the alarm. Terrible inattentive staff.

Clean lady - terrible, right now i'm staring at my shoe bag being stuck partially in the LOCKED fridge because SHE opened it and got the string to the shoe bag stuck inside. In the 6 days i've been hear, even after I've USED the plastic cups they give me, they only give me new ones 3 DAYS later!!!

Breakfast - bare minimum and each time i've gone down their I have had to find the staff to give me coffee and bread. They are either chatting or eating themselves in their little room.

I understand that Paris hotels are small, but if they are a 3 star, at least show some customer service. My main issue is with the front desk guy in the morning - he did not hear me stuck in the elevator. Nor does he provide consistent information. The other two guys are GREAT!

This is a great location since it is close to the Sorbonne University - but please there are so many other options for expected quality.

Room Tip: Walk up/down stairs to avoid getting stuck on elevator
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business