“Once you've stayed here ...”
Review of Hotel de Lutece

Hotel de Lutece
Ranked #508 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Hotel de Lutece on the "Isle of Louis" is a magical place for me. We had stayed once before in 2010 and had the opportunity to come again this year. The traditional architecture, beautiful fabrics and attention to detail are enhanced by the very attentive staff, many of whom have worked there for decades. Our flight from Australia arrived early morning, way too early for check-in, however we were able to leave our bags with the hotel, freshen up and get out and explore. The island is ideally located in the heart of Paris, a 5 minute walk to Notre Dame, 15 mins to the Louvre. Why would you stay anywhere else? Thank you so much for making our stay so enjoyable !

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street, you can see Paris waking up in the morning and hear the bells of N...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marg P

Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel was very nice. Clean, cool (the ac worked very well), spacious and comfortable after an overnight flight. The steps are numerous but it was good exercise and there is a small elevator available. The staff was most helpful in arranging a car to and from the airport. The location is great for walking everywhere and there is a lovely bakery across the street. The BEST place of stayed in 4 visits to Paris.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gladwewerethere
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My favourite location to stay in Paris is Ile St. Louis - it is literally in the centre and equally easy to walk to St. Germain on the Left or Le Marais on the right. It is a relatively peaceful haven among the hustle and bustle of the city and yes, you can hear the bells of Notre Dame. There are no big hotels on the island and Hotel de Lutece is a good example of the size of all the hotels on there. It is right on the Main Street - Rue St-Louis-en-l'ile - and opposite a boulangerie, a couple of doors down from a chocolatier and a fromagerie and a block away from Bertillons. As in most Australian flights I got there early - 7.30am - and was sure I wouldn't be able to get into my room. However, I was told with a smile that my room was ready. I was so grateful it took me a while to notice how small the room was. Yes, it was very small, but nicely furnished, with an opening shuttered window to the street below and a decent size bathroom with bath and shower. The staff were really helpful and very accommodating - so much so that when I mentioned I was returning to Paris for a day only at the end of my trip to catch an evening flight, they let me leave my suitcase there for the day which I would say is a bit of an exception in Paris. There are probably bigger rooms in the hotel than mine but as long as you are accepting of this, I would definitely recommend this hotel as a great place to stay with a perfect location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julieanne53
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This hotel received such good ratings both from Tripadvisor and from our USO guidebook that we felt quite confident in booking it. I admit that the pictures of the dark wood ceiling beams made me swoon and helped make the decision as well! We were not at all disappointed. Having written ahead to request a quiet room, we were given the 6th floor loft room with an AMAZING view across the Parisian rooftops. Notre Dame was actually visible from our window! The room was furnished beautifully and everything was very clean. Thankfully the bathroom also had a large heated towel rack which really helps when you have been traveling for a week and need to dry clothing that you just washed in the sink. My favorite room feature was the large double windows that swung open; we turned off the AC at night and slept peacefully with the night air blowing in around us. The only possible negative I would mention would be that the elevator is very small - really only 2 people can fit comfortably and you had better like that other person! It goes as high as the 5th floor and you must climb the stairs to the final floor if that is your destination. Not a problem for us being in our 30's, but an older person or someone with a condition may not be able to handle this. I loved that the hotel was located on an island in the middle of the Seine River. It made you feel that though Paris was all around you, the hustle and bustle was somehow locked away for the night. It was still extremely accessible since the Metro station is no more than 1 1/2 -2 blocks away and Notre Dame was the same distance in the opposite direction. It was also just a few storefronts away from our best meal in Paris which happened to be a gourmet burger and an omelette at the Cafe St.Regis. Breakfast at Hotel de Lutece was charming and, though an extra 13 euros per person, we enjoyed it thoroughly. The staff was EXCELLENT here. From the front desk attendants to the housemen, everyone was genuinely friendly and anxious to help with advice, directions, and personal recommendations. We could not have been more pleased with our choice of a hotel and we have already commended it to our friends who are going to Paris in a few months. We will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nawlinsgirl1980
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We just stayed here for the second time in July 2013. My husband and I had a room overlooking the street on the fourth floor, and our sons had a room facing the inner courtyard, which didn't have a view but was a fine room. The rooms are small, but comfortable and clean. Ours had exposed beams on the ceiling and we thought it was lovely.

The staff is very helpful and friendly, and were a great resource in planning our days. The hotel is situated on a quiet street filled with bistro restaurants and boutiques, with a fromagerie, patisserie and boulangerie right across the street. Not to mention, Berthillion ice cream is just a couple of blocks away! It's also well-situated for evening strolls along the Seine with views of Notre Dame.

We will definitely stay here again, and highly recommend it to anyone seeking an authentic Parisian hotel experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2013

When I go to Paris, I want to feel like I'm in Paris, and this hotel does the trick. The rooms are small, but I've stayed in even smaller rooms in Paris for twice the price, and they weren't located on the picturesque l'Ile de St. Louis. It is wonderful to be able to open your window in the morning, see the breeze blow the white voile curtains, and listen to the faint street sounds and bells from Notre-Dame (they do have good air conditioning, though, if it is too hot outside). There are a couple of rooms here that are unusual and not as nice as the others, but I've always been pleased with my stay. This time, I got a room with plenty of clothes storage and a bathroom about the size of an American hotel bathroom. The service is also outstanding, and there is never a wait to get advice or check in or check out. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KS1908
Reviewed 4 August 2013

first there is a little story to tell: at first we were very disappointed from our choice.we booked the hotel months a head for a 6 days stay. travelling with our daughter we wanted a big enough room for the three of us. unfortunately the room we got (between 3rd and 4th floor, facing an inner court and many other windows), was ugly, small, long and narrow, though very well equipped and air conditioned. knowing I couldn't enjoy staying a week in such a room, that it would spoil our vacation, I immediately asked for another room.The lady in the reception checked, made a few calls, and eventually we were promised that the next day, we'll receive a much better room. so we stayed. But the next day in the reception sat a different lady,who first claimed there is no other better available room. I became confused, disappointed and quite angry. I was prepared to look for another hotel... only after repeating that we were promised a better room, and only after repeating that the third time, stressing again and again that the room we received was much smaller and didn't resemble the one in the pictures, suddenly, another room was found!. this one was facing the street, much wider and bigger with a wide, comfortable bathroom. eventually everything was fine again. the room was comfortable, nice, with wooden beams on the ceiling, fully air conditioned (it is very important because July in Paris and all over France, was very hot) and well equipped. this hotel has a wining location, and the entrance is charming. I would definitely like to stay there again, only it is a must to guarantee what room you are getting!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family