“Good experience in a Boutique Room”

Best Western Premier Opera Opal
Ranked #494 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Good front desk staff. Always friendly and polite. Fair price. Super central location.

We stayed in 1 of the attic rooms which wouldn't suit a Nordic giant, but it was charming to have skylight view over the city.

Breakfast in the basement was perfectly good, but it was in the basement and I'd like to start my day somewhere brighter.

In fairness to the hotel the room service delivery of breakfast was available, but with a toddler in tow it's best to have the full buffet available for the inevitable change of mind 1/2 way through whatever the 1st choice was...

Usefully close to Gare St Lazare for a trip to Versailles too.

I'd go back.

Room Tip: 6th Floor rooms not for very tall people.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Nathalie D, Directeur général at Best Western Premier Opera Opal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Dear customer,
We would like firstly to thank you regarding your answer to our survey. Our opinion is really important for us. We are so happy to see that all our efforts to satisfy our guests allowed you to spend a nice time in our hotel.
Indeed, the three rooms we have at the 6th floor are very charming, you have a nice view in the Parisian roofs and the rooms are very quiet if you are staying in the suites. For a “Nordic giant” maybe a superior room would suit better! We are happy that you will probably come back to our hotel and we will make our best to make your stay as perfect as you wish!
Warm regards from Paris,

Reviewed 3 July 2013

I wasnt sure of what to expect at first since it was a Best Western brand (chain that is locally managed so there isnt a real standard of measure) but fortunately, had a wonderful four-day stay at the Opal Hotel. Everyone in the staff whom we encountered was accommodating; especially the young lady at the front desk upon check in, who had sniffles at that time and yet still managed to wear a smile throughout and even guided us how to use their local metro, instead of cab riding (our usual tendency) along the busy traffic of Paris. We loved the convenience that almost everything was within walking distance, shopping, places of interest, and the metro, and there's also that secured feeling that you are in a better area of the city (quite essential for first-time/solo traveller/s)

The daily breakfast spread is basic. The lady server was always gracious and prompt to take our order of coffee each morning, though didn't like the too loud a noise (dishwashing, prepping, cooking etc) from the kitchen that was indeed very audible in the small dining area adjacent to it.

Internet connection is limited to one device per room. Our room was very small, and literally without any space for the luggage to be moved around, I had to squeeze my luggage in closer to the night table to clear out that small path leading toward a spacious bathroom! On 2 occasions that we placed our 'do not disturb' sign by the door, we still came back to our room 'being done.' Everything was intact. though if you are meticulous, practice discretion and use the safety vault.

In a nutshell, I would come back to this hotel, and would recommend this to families and friends :)

Room Tip: No swimming pool facility as this is more of a boutique than a full blown hotel. Couldn't undo r...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear customer,
First of all we really would like to thank you for completing the survey.
We are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We have changed a few weeks ago the internet system and you can now connect three devices with one login ! Me and my team hope to welcome you soon at hotel Opal, for your next visit in Paris ! Do not hesitate to contact us directly for your future reservations and ask our staff for a bigger room, it will be a pleasure to satisfy you!
Kind regards,

Directrice

Reviewed 15 May 2013

The night desk attendant refused to call the cab company that I requested for transportation to CDG. He took a short, condescending tone with me and insisted that he call another company for me and assured me that they would accept American Express for payment. This was important to me as I travel often for work and need to put all charges on my Amex for reporting purposes. He was there on Friday morning when I was picked up by the cab company and informed that they did not accept Amex and gave me a smug look and shrugged his shoulders. This was unacceptable and should never be tolerable behavior from an employee. I travel rather frequently for my job and will not consider the Best Western Opal hotel on my next visit to Paris. Other than this short, shaved head desk attendant, I found the staff and building agreeable and in a decent location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chuck T
Nathalie D, Directeur général at Best Western Premier Opera Opal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Dear Mister William,
First of all I would like to thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay in hotel Opal. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for the problem you encountered during your journey to go to the airport.
Our team indeed made two mistakes: We would never have to oblige one of our customers to order a transfer with the company we are working with, it is a transfer with a fix rate, and I reminded all my team that customers should always have the choice to order this transfer or a regular taxi.
Then, I am a bit surprised about the reaction of my employee when the taxi driver told you that they did not accept American express. He of course must have called another company which accept American express and cancelled the taxi he ordered for you before.
I wanted to underline that I will take a personal care about controlling that every single wish from our customers will be respected when they order a taxi.
Once again, please accept our apologies for this mistake. I sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us in the future and we will make sure to provide you a better service.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

Most of th reception dont know how to smile. Except te young gentleman whom i checked in to on may 6. i got throom on 5th floor. The lift was so slow. On the secondday we can not get in.something wrong with the key. So we have togo down. On the day we checkout. May7, we let the reception. A girl with the glass that the lift was broken. She said. Yes I know. Then we asked if there somone can help us. We have big luggage. How togo down from the 5th floor. She said. no one. i can not help you. Because i am a woman what kind of answer isthat. What a bad experience.its not a 4 star. Its a minus star

Dear Sir or Madam,
First, I would like to thank you for completing the survey. It really helps us to improve our service.
We indeed had a problem with our lift on the 8th and the 9th of May, so I am a bit surprised that you encountered some problems with the elevator on the 7th of May. Both days were holiday in France, and we made our best to fix the problem quickly. As we really depend to the elevator company for maintenance, we have been constrained to wait their coming. We had to react and this is why we hired a baggage handler to take care of our customer’s luggage. It is possible that when you checked-out the baggage handler was not arrived yet and unfortunately you could not enjoy this service.
I hope you can understand that this is totally independent of our wish and that we made our best to react to this problem. I hope you will stay with us for your next stay in Paris !

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Good Value. First time travelers to Paris from illinois.

Id like to say that Im upidy and have discriminating taste. So when I advise you to sat at a best western it doesn't come without merit. Will agree the rooms are tiny but very clean and modern. Definitely a boutique hotel. The front desk was pleasant and though we never ate there - a restaurant was downstairs.

We were helped out with taxis and landmarks and the staff was always helpful. You cannot beat this location for the price and modernity (safety that hotel opal affords you).

The hotel locked their doors after dark and because of the nicer neighborhood I did see police patrolling the area. There were many shops right outside the hotel and a 10/ 15 min cab ride had you in the city center.

Things to remember:
Paris is not like the US where bigger is better. It's not necessarily super friendly to the larger individual. My husband has the former football build....The rooms in most hotels are smaller, showers are laughable, and elevators do not carry generally more than one person and one suitcase. We made 2 trips in elevator in since it was very slow one trip up the four flights of stairs.

Note the Parisians are never in a hurry about anything especially dining.

Restaurants have smaller chairs and try and pack in as many people as possible into an already cramped space.

This hotel room was smaller than a New York compact hotel but definitely did the trick. Remember your not there that much. Our room had a window, queen bed, 2 side tables, and a tv. A closet for hanging suits and dresses and our bags went by the side of the bed ( stepped over each morning).

The bathroom was spacious in comparison with all the modern fixtures. Very clean and decorated in all white. best feature real hot water. The shower was much bigger than past hotels and I would almost say it might have even fit two people -which is unheard of

Need an iron? Go to get it from the front desk because its not in your room. Not sure if its a matter of it not fitting or if it just isn't an item the French use much. Suggest bringing your own hand held steamer because its a hassles to get each time you need it.

All and all I wish I would have used this hotel my entire trip instead of using a new hotel closer to moulin rouge ( trying a new closer to town location) and feeling like I might get murdered for our two night stay.

Stay here. It's very beautiful, safe, English speaking and they take credit cards. It's very close to museums, sites, and awesome shopping ( H andM, Zara, Louis Vuitton, Dior, , ect)

Not sure if its 4 stars or not ( i mean its operated by best western which i would never even generally consider) but I was comfortable, the pictures didn't lie, and not only did we have a great time but moreover we weren't second guessing this decision to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Nathalie D, Directeur général at Best Western Premier Opera Opal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,
First of all we would like to thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
Your feedback is very important for us and we use them to deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, don’t hesitate to ask for a bigger room if you stay with us for your next visit in Paris! We offer a wide range of rooms to delight every single customer.
Regarding the steamer and the iron board, I think that our receptionist forgot to mention all services we can provide you in our hotel and we apologize for that. We have several amenities that you can use anytime when you need it, don’t hesitate to ask our receptionist for any question or need.
Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and we are sincerely glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you as soon as possible in our hotel.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 19 January 2013

hi i was stay for one night at the hotel friday 9 of jan .the reception cleark was friendly but barly understand basic english.buffe breakfast is realy exspencive 15 euros a person and we got unfresh milk .when we ask another coffee the waiter did sour face and also disapire the cereal milk to the kitchen.then i went to the toilet stomach problems so she was so rude she blame me that i was block the toilet pushee the loo.this is ashame to critise your guset like that.the room was realy dark but very clean and central.the reception was doing great effort for my wishes.i got good impersion even if it is tipical french paris atitude.i hope they do not stop pushee.

Room Tip: room was fine but the breakfast face blame the guset awful room was with great view to main chambar...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
NATDUP21, Directeur général at Best Western Premier Opera Opal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations regarding the breakfast service and the fact that you have been offended by one of our employee. Maybe our employee misunderstood something and this is why her reaction seemed to be rude to you. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel during our last night in Europe after visiting Normandy. The stay was looking promising at check-in, but it didn't live up to our expectations. The front desk clerk was very helpful and spoke good English. We got our room key and headed to the elevator, or perhaps I should say coffin. My wife and I literally had to play twister to we could both fit in the car with our two bags. The room was clean and nicely appointed, but one of the shower doors was missing, there was only a half roll of toilet paper with no backup, and there were no tissues available. To end on a positive note, however, I will point out that our room did have a queen bed and the location is excellent.

We skipped breakfast in order to pack for our return to the U.S., so I have no food commentary for this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
We really apologize that one of the bathroom door was missing and the toilet paper as well it must be a lack of attention of our team. We will consider your feedback to make sure that this kind of careless mistake will not happen again in the future.
I hope that you will consider staying with us for your next trip in Paris so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.