“cute hotel shame about some service aspects...”

Hotel Mansart - Esprit de France
Ranked #187 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Paris, France
“cute hotel shame about some service aspects...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

this is a cute hotel with individual styling, very typically french touches, the rooms are traditional with paintings, odd sizing, often uneven floors. The location just steps away from Place Vendome is charming, try and get out early morning if you can, in the pale light this area is unspeakably magical. On sundays there are often vintage car enthusiasts gathered here.

My room 300 was two single beds, worth checking if you are in Paris for romance, which sadly I was not. Room service was adequate, small menu but absolutely fine for a couple of nights. The buffet breakfast is lite, its not one to fill up on and skip lunch, but hey lunch in Paris is not a death sentence! :)

The only things to spoil this experience
a) one day I returned at 1pm and my room was not cleaned, I worked the rest of the day meaning it was skipped.
b) I requested an extension of 3 nights and was told they were full, my French colleague asked 2 days later and was immediately accommodated, I also heard someone making a booking by phone on my requested dates.
c) on checking out my colleague mentioned she was in a bit of a hurry, the chap at reception told her "me too, I am also in a hurry"
......a little service training wouldn't go amiss

Room Tip: the vendome rooms over look the square so good for romantics, the others are out over a side street...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank lenaDubai
DirectionMansart, Directeur général at Hotel Mansart - Esprit de France, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

I thank you for having taken the time to share your comments about your last visit at the hotel Mansart, it is important for us in order to improve the quality of the hotel and the service.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed several points of your stay with us and would like to get more details about the lines B and C. For these points I will contact you directly in order to have more details and train the people concerned. I cannot accept someone of my team using the words mentioned in line C and I do apologize for the image given to you and your colleague.

Regarding line A, for a next visit, please feel free when leaving the hotel for a few moment to make a stop at the desk and ask for the turn down service, it will be done whitin few minutes as a priority. Concerning the bedding, I regreet that you did not mention it at the reception as we have a bell boy who is able to assist the customers in the evening up to 9 pm and who would have been able to prepare your room with a large bed.

I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you in the near future to the hotel Mansart, assuring you of our best care and attention at all times, we remain.

Yours sincerely.

Emmanuel Gamez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

While not super trendy, this hotel has large rooms for Paris IMO, and had an excellent breakfast and good speed internet. The hallways are a bit tiny as is the Parisian style lift, but the location is excellent, pretty quiet, and a good business hotel. I would stay again for sure.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

For many years we have been coming to this hotel - because of its excellent location near Opéra Garnier, big rooms , friendly staff and reasonable prices.
Since the recent renovations the rooms are much more up to date, as is the lobby and all of the good elements seem to have improved as well- better breakfast, even better service than before. All the rooms are different, furnished beautifully often with nice antiques, and although the bathrooms are not always state of the art, they are comfortable and clean. As it is an old building, there can be some noise issues, but none that disturbed us. Can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Higher floors and away from the elevator mean less chance of noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tedfran
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights the weekend before Christmas to do some shopping and sight seeing.

The very good: staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The residence bar was a great find after a day of shopping. Breakfast was amazing - all the coffee and croissant/bread you could wish for. Great location in the Opera district.

The average: the room is very large for Paris standards and the french windows that open onto the street allowed in some fresh air.

The poor: the shower was very small, the bathroom itself is large but the shower is small, you can spin around - but you're not going to take a long luxurious shower in it. The floor is all uneven, ok in the daylight but a bit odd in the dark. We were on the 1st floor, which had a fair bit of street noise at night. A higher floor might a better option.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CanadianInDublin
Tokyo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

The location is really good. And staff are really nice. I didn't have a chance to eat breakfast, but it looks really nice.
Room is okay, not that big but pretty cozy for us. The only thing I would think is bad of this hotel is the sound. You can hear TV sound from next room very clearly especially at night.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Satoppe2002
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We arrived at the hotel and were pleasantly surprised when we were upgraded to the largest room in the hotel (I mentioned in the booking we were on honeymoon) with a balcony that had a lovely view of the streets below. The room was well decorated and comfortable with two doors opening onto the balcony. The staff were very friendly and booked our airport transfer and gave us advice on the easiest way to get to the sights. The hotel is within easy walking of the Lourve and the Champs Elyssee. The metro is a five minute walk away. We would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jason m
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I was so disappointed on the first night when we reached our room on the 6th floor, it smelled old, the room looks worn out and the bathroom was so outdated! You even have to hold the showerhead to take a bath! Then I immediately told the hotel staff Pauline on the first night to transfer us because it was not as I expected at all. Instead of moving us right away, she just gave us a vague reply that she would just check tomorrow if someone cancels their booking..so obviously, it wasn't a full hotel yet and she could have easily transferred us if she wanted to be helpful. So we had to stay in that shabby room for a night. The following day, we asked again to be moved, and this time, another more helpful hotel staff moved us to a better room. It was explained to us that the 6th floor is really an unrenovated floor and the first to fifth floors are the renovated ones. Thats why I was so upset that we were not transferred right away inspite of our request the first night. Then, I accidentally left some toilletries in the previous 6th floor room we slept in..the next day, I called to ask about it, told the front desk staff as well in person, and when I came back in the evening, I asked again. I was just informed for the third time they will check the housekeeping but most likely, my items must have been thrown out already as they don't keep things that are left behind by guests! I am actually still checked in the hotel, so I just find it weird that they would throw my personal items when I am still a guest at present. And right now, while lying in my bed, I can smell cigarette smoke so my allergies is acting up. Im not sure if the second floor is a smoking floor or what. This hotel is really very disappointing. For an average of $280 a night, it wasnt worth it.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Lally D
DirectionMansart, Directeur général at Hotel Mansart - Esprit de France, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Madam,

I would like to thank you first of all for having taken the time to share your experience of your stay at the hotel Mansart before leaving the hotel Mansart, only by receiving feedback and listening to our guests can we consistently improve and strive to continually get better.

I was distressed to learn that your stay did not meet with all your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies.

It was the first time you were coming to the hotel Mansart and your booking mentioned that you preferred being on a higher floor. 602 is on our top floor. This room has been partially refurbished in 2011 (the bedroom entirely) and is reflecting the atmosphere of the hotel, which means a mix between old furniture and modern colors. This room and bathroom have been entirely painted last summer and I could not find any special smelling in it. The bathroom is not newly refurbished, but is bright (daylight), useful and is in a really good condition. All our rooms have been refurbished partially or entirely since the last three years from the lobby area to the six floor included.

The season is very busy, for the first night we had three rooms left and not the ones of the category you booked, it was the same for the second night as well, that is certainly why Pauline told you that it would be necessary to wait the second day to check the occupancy of the hotel in order to confirm the possibility of moving to a different room.

For the specific bottle of shampoo you are using, we do train the chambermaids to keep aside all the items left from the clients and to call the housekeeper in case of a doubt. We were able to contact the lady who cleaned your room and got the answer today. As the bottle was already opened she threw it away. This incident is showing that we need to improve the communication if a guest is moving to another room and is staying in the house and as a gesture of our goodwill (as again you are using a specific shampoo) I will contact you directly to reimburse the cost of this bottle.

From what I heard from Pushpa and Anthony who made the check out procedure, you enjoyed the rest of your stay in room 211. I am sorry to read today that you had to suffer the smelling of cigarette, the hotel Mansart is entirely non smoking, As some people do not respect this instruction we have bought recently an engine supposed to destroy different smelling.

Once again I do apologize for the troubles caused to you during your last visit at the Mansart hotel. Assuring you of our best care at all times, we remain.

Emmanuel Gamez