“Excellent Location”

Grand Hotel de l'Univers
Ranked #676 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We have stayed in this area of Paris three times now and love the vibrancy and location which makes it very easy to walk to many of the main attractions. There are many different types of eateries and bars as well as bakeries, markets and a small supermarket. Yes, the rooms are small but we were aware of this when we booked and it was no smaller than other rooms in other hotels we have experienced in Paris. We arrived at the hotel at 10 in the morning and were delighted to find our room was available. All staff were very helpful and breakfast was more than adequate and reasonably priced if you compare it with eating out for breakfast in the area. There are two Metro stations very close by and bus stops also. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again if the need arose.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bolly27
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel de l'Univers

Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you are used to Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, this is not your hotel. I liked it because it was in Latin Quarter within walking distance to the Louvre, Notre Dame and a lot of other places of interest. Little cafes and restaurants, grocery stores and bakeries, clothes and flower shops – it is all right there! You can walk or take metro or taxi. We really enjoyed the location. The hotel is clean and all staff spoke English and was very helpful. Caution: the rooms are very small! Even a suite is very small. And we had a view of an opposite wall that was kind of scary. I was joking that I was going to put my view from the window on Facebook and tell people that I got arrested in Paris ;-) Also, we eat in the neighborhood restaurants and nobody once looked bad at us because we spoke English. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elina W
Reviewed 29 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank Retha F
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We chose this hotel as a honeymoon destination. On arrival we were suprised at how small and poky the hotel and bedrooms are. The lift is very small and antiquated and the rooms were very small. The air conditioning was not working when we arrived and the room was very stuffy. There were no tea making facilities in the room also. We went to breakfast down in the cellar the next morning. We went back to our room after breakfast and unknown to me I left my wallet behind. 5 minutes later the wallet was returned to me by the manager. On checking my wallet I noticed that there was a substantial amount of money missing. I immediately went down to reception where I was met with a most unsympatethic response to my dilemma. The staff didn't really seem to care about what happened. We checked out immediately.
If you are staying here keep your belongings safe. I would strongly reccommend you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
hotelsgdp, Directeur général at Grand Hotel de l'Univers, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Sir,
I acknowledge receipt of your opinion on your stay in our hotel last Thursday. You have found your room small surprised me. Indeed, to be pleasant for your honeymoon, you have been upgraded to deluxe room instead of classique room you reserved. That's your opinion, I respect it.
However, I can not accept that you treat us thieves. Indeed, you forgot your wallet in breakfast room, the waitress came to bring me immediately. I opened it to find your name on a credit card and you have brought to your room.
You will then come to the front desk to tell me that you missed € 400 to € 1000 you claimed to have.
Your defamatory accusations were made ​​whole team very uncomfortable, from the mother who has served you, up to me hotel manager for 25 years.
We nearly could regret to be honest with such accusations
Best regards.
Eric Desfaudais.
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Confortable hotel, very well located, with lots of restaurants around. Clean and silent rooms, small, but with new bathrooms with amenities.
The breakfast is good and the hotel personal is really nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank NataliaCM
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Paris for 10 days as part of our honeymoon. The staff was very very pleasant and helped us with any questions we had. The room was beautiful. The location was perfect! Best spot to be in Paris. Our only critique is the bed could have been a bit more comfy after 10 days. Would stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristina H
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hotel de l'Univers on June 20 for 5 nights. The location is great. It is very convenient to the Metro and buses. There are also many restaurants to choose from just around the corner.

My lasting impression of this hotel will be the staff. They were all very helpful with directions, maps and recommendations. Richard, in particular, was most helpful to myself. I rolled my ankle while walking and needed a pharmacy for anti inflammatory medication. It was a Sunday and after having walked to a nearby pharmacy that was closed, Richard suggested a doctor could be called to check out my ankle. Richard called the doctor who made a house call at the hotel. I needed to get a couple of prescriptions filled and Richard called a couple of pharmacies to make sure they were open and then printed us directions.
All staff were helpful making sure I had ice reduce the swelling. Thay could not hev been more helpful!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends