1,008 results
All reviews latin quarter around the corner great location near notre dame rooms are small croissants saint germain every morning metro stop modern bathroom stayed here for nights superior room rer b side street quiet street breakfast room mini bar
Reviewed 2 December 2005

After staying several nights at Hotel Agora, I can say without hesitation, "I was home" The comfort of the rooms to the outstanding staff especially at the front desk made my Parisian experience come to life!

Especially sincere, helpful and knowledgeable, the young woman at the front desk helped guide me to the best restaurants, easiest routes to museums and gave me the sense, I was her primary customer.

I always recommend the Agora to my friends who are travelling to Paris.
Without a doubt, the location, staff and comfort rate 5 stars for a 3 star price.

• Stayed: November 2005
7  Thank Cruiser29158
Reviewed 27 November 2005

My husband and I just returned from stay in Europe (London/Paris). We stayed at this hotal Nov 21-26, 2005. We booked this hotel through American Express Travel, the same as with our London Hotel.

Before leaving for our trip, I decided to contact the hotel via email to confirm our room reservations for both hotels. The hotel in London, had a toll free number so I called and confirmed my reservation. The Hotel Agora St. Germain did not so I decided to email the hotel directly. Well, needless to say, I did not receive a reply back before leaving. I was a little concerned but since the hotel in London saw my reservation made through Amex, my husband just said don't worry about it and we went off on our trip.

When we arrived at the hotel and en route to the hotel on the chunnel I was thinking about the reservation. Well, guess what.... they didn't have our reservation. Not their fault, in all fairness, it was travelocity whom sold the rooms to Amex... Amex thought everything was confirmed and passed the information to us. So, we felt confident about the choice but we were wrong.

The woman at the checkin counter gave us a room anyway but said she wasn't sure if we could stay there the entire trip.... and we would have to take care of it with American Express. Lucky for me I had taken my cell phone and was able to contact American Express. Althought the call cost me .99 cents a minute, it was well worth it since they faxed over the confirmation and called the hotel directly to confirm receipt. This was taken care of within the hour of our arrival. However, starting out like this didn't really leave a good feeling... especially since the lady kept telling us that now she has a problem with people checking in on the 24th Nov. and seemed very frustrated that this happened on her watch. That didn't make things better... to be honest it added to my frustration.

My husband had to calm me down of course and reason with me not to lose my temper since it was not really her fault. However, I did email them directly and at a minimum would have expected an reply email with .. "we don't have a reservation for you... etc." I mean they did have a PC with internet access at the front desk. My husband did notice there was a fax on the floor. It is very possible that their carelessness could have caused this confusion and inconvenience.

As for the room.... we stayed in room 69. The room was facing the street on 6th floor with a little balcony.. too little to step out but could open window/door and peek out. Heard very little noise. The bathroom was very clean when we arrived and the daily maintenance of same was pretty good. The bed was comfortable. They have a desk with a chair and a small ottoman. Heating in the room was fantastic. lighting was proper. The closet could have been in a different location.. Although the closet was big enough for Paris standards, to get to it and access clothing was a bit tight since it was right next to one of the nightstands... The luggage was easily stored under the closet... unless of course you have monster luggage. We like to travel light so our standard carry-ons fit fine. The room had a very delightful and clean aroma after it was cleaned daily. Oh... and great hot water and water pressure.

What I didn't like was that they didn't provide you with shampoo soap and conditioner as separate items. They had a dispenser by the sink and in the shower stall with their so-called combination soap/shampoo/conditioner which really stunk if you asked me. We used it as soap since we had brought our own shampoo. No shower cap, no sewing kit, no other perks except for lotion.

They have a mini fridge in the room with refreshments and a beer bottle opener and they do have corkscrews at the front desk you can borrow if you buy some wine.

The rest of the staff was very friendly and helpful.

All in all is what we expected.... small, clean, tastefully decorated room. My husband just fell in love with the bathroom so I'll give them kudos for that. If it wasn't for that reservation snafu and the front desk person's indifference maybe our rating would have been better.

Remember, confirm your reservation by phone with hotel directly. Faxes may end up on the floor below one of their counters/furniture. Oh and don't bother with the Breafast... There are plenty places you can buy a coffee and a croisant for under 4 Euros nearby or do as the parisians do... get a crepe to go...

Cheers..and buon voyage

• Stayed: November 2005
10  Thank Relax18603
Reviewed 23 November 2005

I stayed here, when I was in town for business. I’ve been to Paris often, but this is one of the better hotels for a reasonable price. We arrived late at night, but there was a night watch at the reception, which let us in without any problems.

The rooms were small, like in every hotel in Paris, but they weren’t too small. The interior was fine, the beds were excellent. More importantly the rooms were clean and were cleaned every day. With fresh towels and new sheets. The bathroom was fine as well, with a good warm, powerful shower in it. Breakfast was excellent, typically French breakfast with fresh bread and cheese.

The location of the hotel is excellent, right in the center of the Latin Quarter, with many nice restaurants and cafés nearby. Also the subway is right around the corner, as is the Notre Dame.

I would definitely come back to this hotel, either for business or with my girlfriend for a nice weekend in Paris. I can recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
5  Thank Lex_v_Akkooi
Reviewed 9 October 2005

The Agora St Germain is in an excellent location right in the heart of the Rive Gauche. Bear in mind this is a 3 star budget hotel (I think some of the poor reviews written had expectations beyond their budgets - If you want 5 * pay for the George V) The Agora is clean efficient and the staff are very friendly. We had a standard double room with shower and were pleasantly surprised by the space we had. It is Paris so of course the rooms are small in almost every hotel, but we found we had more than enough room here. How much time do you want to spend in the room anyway? You are in probably the most beautiful and romantic city in the world - are you sitting in your hotel room (if so you need to get a life badly)
The metro is right around the corner and for about 8 euro you can buy a day pass which lets you hop on and off the metro, the bus and the RER trains as often as you like an easy on the feet option for discovering the city! Le Twickenham just opposite Blvd St Michel does a great Continental Breakfast for 6 euro or a cooked English for 7 euro. Cafe Leffe on the banks of the Seine and about 200 yards from Notre Dame does a starter and main dish or main dish and dessert plus wine for 19 euro - good value and good food, you dine in the open air overlooking beautiful breathtaking Notre Dame Cathedral (with heating provided so don't worry about being cold). Paris is a fabulous vibrant city and I especially like the left bank the pace of life and sense of fun is a little bit different to the big shopping right bank. Don't believe all the tales about arrogant and rude french waiters it simply isn't true, the french are very helpful friendly people - who naturally do appreciate you trying to use their language (even badly). One thing to watch out for though are the supposed Bosnian beggars who roam the gates of the tuilleries and the Arch de Triumphe pouncing on tourists with the line of do you speak english, then they whip out a postcard with some sad tale of woe of how their parents have been killed and they need money. You will know them, they are all women with long skirts, headscarves and sometimes no shoes on (they have hidden their shoes). So if you hear the line do you speak english just put on your best french accent and say NO! They will leave you alone instantly, please don't get sucked in by it, it is all a big begging scam. Other than that Paris is fantastic and very safe and the Hotel Agora is a good safe bet for cheap, cheerful, clean accommodation with all the facilities you need. It is not the George V but it certainly is not a dirty, seedy hostel - so fear not and ignore the couple of bad reviews - some people are just high maintenance without wanting to pay the money.

Stayed: October 2005
13  Thank Ruthie71
Reviewed 8 October 2005

I was very pleased with this charming hotel. Location was great. Staff was very courteous, helpful and accomodating. I will defininitely go back and in fact, my girlfriend and I want to make it a tradition.

The room was small by American standards, but for Paris it was perfect. It overlooked a small road that was not too busy. All types of shops were very close and there was a charming church with regular bells to listen to. The place was newly renovated so everthing was clean, functional and nice.

There was not a lot of storage space for clothes, but for a 3 star hotel, it was just great!

• Stayed: October 2005