“Amazing!”

Ranked #22 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed at the St James as a surprise for my husband's birthday and boy was this place full of surprises. We were upgraded to a luxurious room over 2 floors and were greeted with a complimentary bottle of champagne and a lovely note to my husband. The staff were exceptionally warm and helpful. The location was perfect - in a quiet road but just a short walking distance to the Arc de Triomphe. We loved our room so much that we cancelled our plans for our final morning in order to relax in our room. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a romantic, luxurious and very special holiday. Thank you St James - we can't wait to come back!

1 Thank Nathalie_Le_Mottee
Yves_Monnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Mrs Le Mottee,

Thank you very much for choosing to surprise your husband with the Saint James Paris for his birthday and for recommending our crazy-chic little chateau on TripAdvisor! If was a pleasure to welcome you and we are very happy to read that your liked your suite to the point of choosing to stay in it longer.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to your Paris home in the near future.

Yves

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

It was superb!
The staff were extremely friendly. They welcomed us and brought our bags from the taxi into the foyer, even though I was trying to carry it myself. (I'm not used to being waited on!)
The lady on the reception desk was extremely polite and informed us we had been upgraded to a suite, which is always a great thing to hear!
Concierge, I'm not sure if they plan to always have the same one on to keep with continuity for the guests, but he was there every day and welcomed us each and every time we walked in.
The hotel was clean. The lighting was excellent, very muted and atmospheric for such a beautiful building.
Our room was amazing. The cleaning service came 3 times in one day, which I wasn't expecting, but was a lovely touch.
Our bed was a little hard for our liking, but you can't please everyone. Pillows were nice and soft. Great choice of lighting in the room with a dimmer switch on all the main lights.
The bathroom was lovely with a large bath big enough for 2 and 2 sinks and mirrors.

I only have 2 problems, one was the day we checked out there seemed to be someone of "importance" there, whose bodyguards seemed to think I was trying to take photos of them. So accosted me on the stairs. Having no idea who the person was, and not really caring I felt this ruined the experience some what. The lady from the hotel was very apologetic about it, but it took the shine off the experience for me, which was a shame as up until that point I felt on top of the world.

My other problem was with the food. It all sounded lovely, but as a vegetarian there was only one thing on the main restaurant menu for us to eat, so we had to pass on the restaurant, which was sad. Maybe add a few vegetarian choices on for people?

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to come again. It was amazing.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite. Room 401, which was decorated in mink brown and black.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Vixxy21,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Saint James Paris and for posting this extremely kind and detailed review pointing our the service of our teams, as well as the décor and lighting of our rooms. We would have been delighted to install an extra overlay, had we known that you felt your bedding was a bit too hard for your liking.
You stayed with us at the same time as two heads of state and I would like to apologize if you felt incommodated by some of their security staff on this one specific occasion, but can ensure you that there is no guest more important than another and that we want each one to feel “on top of the world” when staying with us.
We have also taken good note of your concern regarding our restaurant and will work with our Chef Virginie Basselot to make sure to offer additional options for our vegetarian guests.
Be sure it will be our pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We recently stayed in this gorgeous chateau for my birthday and had the most fantastic time. The staff are absolutely lovely people - so welcoming, helpful and knowledgeable. The signature hotel scent pervades through the rooms and is one of the most exquisite scents I have ever smelt - we had to buy two candles and a room spray and are now already despairing at the thought of running out! The location is ideal - on the first night we were there we walked up to the Arc de Triomphe at midnight in ten minutes and it was everything I imagined Paris to be at night. We were lucky enough to stay in room 406 which is chocolate and turquoise in scheme with touches of leopard print and silk luxuries. I now fear that I will compare every hotel I stay in to this hotel, which frankly creates an unrealistically high benchmark for most to ever meet, but if you are looking for that special stay that you will always remember then this is the 'experience' for you! Thank you Saint James Paris - see you again next year!

Room Tip: 406 is the room to spend your time here in...photos shared...overlooks the courtyard
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LisaandToto
Dear Lisa and Toto,

Thank you so much for trusting us for the celebration of this birthday and for taking the time to post this extremely kind review! We are all thrilled to read that your experience at the Saint James Paris was a success in every aspect and that you enjoyed up to the exclusive scent developed for our unique little chateau.
Be sure we will make each of your –hopefully many- stays to come just as unforgettable.

Looking forward to becoming your home away from home,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I'm French and lived in Paris for 20 years, now been in Chicago for 12.
Let me tell you, you will be hard pressed to find a better place to stay in Paris for that price.
First, the service is EXCEPTIONAL. All the staff is super nice, attentive. They seem to always look into ways to please you: Upgrade you to a nicer room, give us a number of a little comps here and there that showed us that they really wanted us to have a good time.
We came for our honeymoon, got upgraded to a gorgeous suite, had some quality champagne waiting for us. We used their mini cars to drive through the city. The concierge even at night really went out of their way for us and the manager Yves is amazing!
You could shave off 90 euros and stay in one of these tiny tiny rooms in the city or spend just that little bit more, stay there and have a 500% better experience.

1 Thank Julien J
Dear Julien,

First of all, I would like to thank you and your husband for choosing the Saint James Paris for your honeymoon. There are special occasions in life one would not like to spoil and I am truly happy that your experience matched your expectations. I also thank you on behalf of our entire team for mentioning our service on TripAdvisor. We work on a daily basis to provide a truly personalized and caring service to our guests, and the best reward for us is to see our efforts recognized.
We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both back regularly in the future and to become your home when in Paris.

NYC
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is a 3-star hotel selling itself at 5-star prices, but does not hold up to the photos on its website.

My traveling companion and I arrived separately, but each had the same poor arrival experience. We lugged our baggage across the courtyard to the steep steps leading up the front door of the hotel. The doorman saw us coming, walked ahead of us, and opened the door, leaving us to grapple with getting our luggage up the stairs into the hotel. This was par for the course at the Saint James, where staff seem to be more busy surfing the web than attending to guests' needs.

The 1880s building is a marvel, and in the hands of a more experienced hotel group, would be one of the glories of Paris. But the interiors have been so cheaply designed and furnished that we were uncomfortable throughout the stay. The closets in the room (we were in a junior suite) and the doors were made of cheap plywood, unevenly painted and smelling strongly. The bed was tired, with a mattress that was sunk down in the middle, and covered with low grade linens above/beneath a wool blanket, and a bedspread.

The lighting throughout the suite and the hotel itself is abysmal -- so that rather than providing a warm ambience you feel constantly as if you are squinting beneath light bulbs that are glaring.

Except for the overnight concierge, the concierge team seemed worthless, unable to fulfill fairly simple requests and generally unhelpful.

The upside: the restaurant is very good, with exceptional cuisine and service. And the neighborhood is lovely, with a wonderful boulangerie/patisserie, Bechu, just a 5-minute walk.

6 Thank DaneP
Yves_Monnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear guests,

We have taken good note of your comments and are truly sorry you did not feel attended enough, except a the restaurant. We work daily to provide the best possible service, and we do agree that you should not have had to carry your luggage.
Each of our rooms and suites has been redone with great care and our mattresses are all replaced regularly. Our owners spent close to 10 millions Euro to redecorate 48 rooms and suites and keep investing in the maintenance of the property day by day.
I am sorry to read that your room and bedding did not suit you, unlike the vast majority of our clientele, who also praises the very personalized service of our teams and especially of our concierges Clefs d'Or.

Yves Monnin, General Manager
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is well hidden, you wouldn't stumble across it, but when you find it, WOW!! We decided to book this hotels from the other reviews on trip advisor and we were not disappointed.

Location wise it's actually really good, ok it's not in the hustle and bustle but it's easily walking distance to Arc du Triomphe and Eiffel Tower. Also two mins to a metro stop and a short walk to Avenue Victor Hugo which has some lovely shops.

On check in the lovely receptionist actually gave us a quick tour of the hotel before personally taking us to our room which was fab!! I think we booked a superior room and it was really big, not what you would expect from the centre of Paris!

Really the hotel is gorgeous I can't fault it. You felt like you were staying in a country estate rather than a city centre hotel.

I guess if I wanted to be massively picky there was not a massive choice for breakfast, but seriously it's still pretty good and actually good for France I think, more than just continental on offer.

If I am ever back in Paris I would definitely stay here again!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LJNewcastle
Dear LJNewcastle,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us after reading reviews of fellow travelers. I am truly happy to read that your choice proved to be right and that you enjoyed the location of our little chateau in the chic 16th, its crazy-chic décor, the exceptional size of our rooms and the service of our teams.
Be sure it will be a pleasure for us to welcoming you back for your next visit, as I am convinced you will be back in Paris one day!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Superb service, beautiful rooms, doting staff, wonderful karma. Highly recommended. Was there for business and my wife came along. Perfect for a couples break or for business. Good location in the 16th. Breakfast is excellent, The library bar cozy. Feels grand. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ontheroadagain386
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much to you and your wife for choosing to stay with us. It is true that our little chateau offers a perfect location for guests visiting for leisure as well as for business. We work daily to preserve the karma you felt and are grateful for your recommendation.
We hope to have the pleasure of becoming your own chateau every time you are in Paris.