This was a great start to our European holiday.
We'd booked a deluxe room and it was perfect. It was a good size room, bright and cheerful, with clever wardrobe space and a fridge and a Nespresso machine behind the two large floor to ceiling mirrors that slide across to reveal the space. This is the first time I've stayed in a hotel which had more hangers that I could use. The bathroom was large, especially for Paris standard. It had two sinks. The shower was in the tub and there was a design floor - the floor gets wet when you shower.
It had a view of the oldest church in Paris, St. Germaine church. The outside of the church looked like any other church, but the inside is absolutely beautiful. Much of the colours have faded over the years, I can only imagine its splendour in days past. There is some refurbishment work going on now and should be completed by late this year or next year.
As many reviewers had said, the location of the hotel is perfect. It is near two subway stations, and near all the restaurants and sites. The Notre Dame, The Lourve and River Seine were so close by. It was smack right between Laduree and Pierre Hermes, both of which we visited. My husband and I are runners. We woke up early in the morning before the city woke up, and went for a run along the River Seine, to the Lourve and all the way to the Eiffel Tower. It is a spectacular way to see the city.
The breakfast was not large but every single item that was served was done perfectly. There were cold meats, a variety of cheeses, hard boiled eggs, sausages, bacon, an assortment of pastries and danishes, cereals, tiny French desserts including macarons. Absolutely divine.
There were two things that could have improved the experience:
1. Our flight arrived early in the morning and not the hotel's fault of course, the room wasn't ready. We were unceremoniously told that our room would not be ready until 3pm which is not unfair of course. After all, that was the check-in time. However, after a 13-hour journey, what would have really helped was if they'd offered us a cup of coffee or a drink while we freshened up and deposited our luggage before we headed out.
2. The bed arrangement is two single beds pushed together with two single duvets. When we finally got to the room at 3pm, we saw this arrangement and my husband asked the reception for a change to a king size bed. He was informed that the housekeeping people had left and that the night service people would see to that but we were to use the room in the meantime. So we were under the impression that we would have to move rooms. Therefore, we just used the shower but did not unpack. In the evening, when we asked about the change, the night receptionist informed us that we were not changing room and that the night service people would just rearrange the bedding. By that, they meant that they'd change the sheets to a king size sheet and provide us with one king size duvet instead of two single bed duvets. The mattresses are still two single ones. I accept that this is the best arrangement under the circumstances but would have appreciated it if they'd communicated this to us clearly in the beginning.
For these two reasons, the hotel gets 4 and not 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Madison Hotel, in the Latin Quarter of Saint Germain-des-Pres, is a boutique hotel in a chic, contemporary style. This delightful hotel with its 50 rooms and suites is located on the Left Bank opposite the church of Saint-Germain-des-Pres and a mere stone's throw from the Seine, the Louvre and the Musee d’Orsay, and the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris. The hotel rubs shoulders on the Boulevard Saint Germain with the Cafe de Flore and the Cafe de 2 Magots, at the heart of a quarter famed for its cafes, art galleries, museums, antique dealers and designer fashion boutiques. The Madison Hotel is also firmly at the heart of literary Paris... Albert Camus spent some time at the hotel in the spring of 1940, and it was here that he completed his existentialist novel "L'Etranger" (The Outsider). Perhaps his spirit still hovers somewhere... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ctrip TA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Madison Hotel by MH reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Madison Paris