“Good value for a boutique hotel”

Melia Vendome - Paris
Ranked #364 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 7 November 2013

First of all, if you look at downtown Paris hotels, you will know that rooms are small, they are located in noisy or strange streets and they are pretty expensive.
Well this one manages to get the best of all of this: it is greatly located, but street is neither noisy nor secluded. We had a standard room and it was decently sized, with nice interior and great bathroom. Bed was very comfortable, service attentive and good, and with free internet it makes this hotel a very good value for your money.
If you're in Paris for business, or long weekend and plan to walk around Paris this is a hotel for you!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank drazen_tomac

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This Review is for the Hotel's Bar/Lounge

Last Thursday, having dressed quicker than my husband, I went down to the hotel’s bar/lounge for a cocktail prior to a dinner celebration for our 28th anniversary. What a mistake!

The bar is directly off the hotel’s lobby. As I crossed the threshold the bartender, approximately 15 feet from me called out in French. As I did not respond, he switched to English and loudly asked ‘do you want something to drink’. His question caught me by surprise considering all he was doing was standing behind the bar and wiping out a glass in an empty lounge! It was immediately obvious that he expected me to come up to the bar to place my drink order…so much for a lounge atmosphere!

I placed my ‘vodka tonic’ order and found a comfortable couch to wait for my husband. Regardless of where we travel, this drink is commonly served in a highball glass or tumbler. I could not have been more surprised to see my order in a Grande goblet! The glass was literally filled to the brim, which meant he had added well over 10 ounces of tonic water. After one sip I wondered if he had even bothered to add the vodka.

Since the ‘fishbowl on a tall thin stem’ was more than I wanted to deal with I returned the goblet to him. After surveying the array of fine glassware behind the bar, I requested that he pour a portion of my drink into a highball glass. He placed the new glass atop the grates of his drain basin and ‘dumped’ my beverage into it! The narrow highball caught the ice cubes and a fraction of the liquid; the rest cascaded down the outside of the glass. He set the ‘dripping’ glass on the bar, picked up the towel and wiped the tonic off his hands. He made no attempt to wipe the outside of the glass off for me. Nor did he bother to clean the liquid that pooled beneath and around the glass and onto the bar. With a very obvious smirk, he declared “your drink madam”.

I told him that I could not believe what he just did and that I found his actions to be ridiculous and unacceptable. I then asked for my bill. His attitude was such that I knew there would be no point in my refusing to pay. As a result, I paid the 18 Euro and walked out to the lobby. He did not even bother to ask why I was leaving my drink behind.

Because of the hotel’s location and the fact we were spending over $500 USD a night to stay there, I expected a cocktail to cost between 16 to 20 Euro. While I don’t look for stellar service to match this expense, it is not unreasonable to expect the staff to possess basic bartending skills and, if not friendly, then at least agreeable dispositions.

Come to this bar for an evening drink if you are looking for sloppy service provided by a rude and inefficient bartender. If not, then definitely, go elsewhere!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LMP55
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The iconic Maison Chanel is located at Rue Cambon, one tiny block away from Melia Vendome Boutique Hotel. Leaving the hotel main entrance, until reaching Coco Chanel atelier (and its famous stairway), you will cross the world celebrated St Honoré street, and will be also delighted by the windows of several other fashion symbols. Drenched in its upscale and charming neighborhood, crowded with beautifully dressed people strolling among utterly expensive cars, lays this boutique hotel. It is not a luxury hotel indeed, but it is excellent. Rooms are classically furnished, and staff is attentive and caring. The best in this hotel is its location, perfect either for beginners (close to the Tuileries metro station, Louvre, L’Orangérie, Musée D’Orsay, Place de la Concorde, Champs Elysées, etc) or Parisian addicts (the legendary flaneurs). For the macaron lovers, nearby Melia Vendome are the unforgettable maisons Pierre Hermé and Hugo et Victor – pure indulgence. Don’t forget visiting the hidden Place St Honoré, the best gastronomic choice in this arrondissement from the breakfast to dinner, few steps away from Place Vendome.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Alvares-da-Silva
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were very specific in making reservations to make sure that we had a two- room suite. Their website information on deluxe singles and a junior suite were somewhat confusing. We had an email exchange to clarify that we wanted their junior suite that had two separate rooms. After a lot of traveling, we found that printing out email exchanges with the reservation office solves problems at the front desk. At check-in, they assured us that they had our junior suite as requested. When we went to our room, it was a single room. We went promptly went to the front desk and were told that this was a junior suite and that it had two rooms- bedroom and bathroom. We told them that this was unacceptable and was not what their reservation department had committed to and showed them our email log. They changed out our room to a proper two-room junior suite, a very nice bedroom- larger than the entire first room, that they had showed us, with a separate living room with desk, couch and sitting area. They then attempted to explain that the desk had simply assigned the wrong room, despite our specificity at initial check-in. Their sincerity was questionable and we truly believe that they were holding back better rooms at our expense and discomfort. While the hotel is on a secondary street, the noise insulation is inadequate and if you choose to retire much before midnight, you will find it hard to get a good night’s sleep. It was quite warm for October and the AC was inadequate and opening the windows due to the noise was out of the question. I can’t imagine the problems with cooling in July or August. Additionally, while I don’t expect silks and satins, it seemed that the bed linens had a relatively low thread count, and appeared a bit rough. Also, while they offer free WIFI, the bandwidth appears to be quite limited, making work requirements unnecessarily difficult. Using VOI became quite difficult with drops and fluctuating breaks. My wife had a bad experience in the bar and found the bartender rude and unaccommodating, reviewed separately. On the positive, the second room was quite nice, large and well appointed. Also, the location is fine, only two blocks from the Louvre, less than three miles from the Gare du Nord and 45 minutes from CDG. We have stayed at Gran Melia properties in the past and have always been pleased. This was our first stay at a Melia (only) and most probably our last.

Room Tip: Send reservations an email and get a specific description and confirmation of what the room is.....y...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DP49
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I would really recommend this hotel for business or pleasure- amazing location close to everything- The rooms and staff really welcoming and just ideal for a quick break. I hope to be back for a weekend trip rather than business.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Honest_best_policy
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

This place is just so close to the Louvre, Champs E., Arc d Triomphe, Les Invalides, Notre Dame, the river, the carnival, the shopping and the FOOD!!! Well we are not spring chickens and we walked everywhere from this hotel. Clean and lovely the bathroom is decked out in marble so we had our very own piece of Parisienne elegance just for us! The bed was very comfortable and the size of the room was perfect with a desk and occasional table. The windows open for fresh air and to enjoy the historic surrounding buildings complete with the French flag, and elegant architecture. Breakfast was a great feast with fresh fruits and yoghurts, and cereals, and fabulous eggs any way you like with whatever you like, and a variety of breads, croissants, cheeses, meats and - well I think we got to everything on offer - but maybe not... The staff were just fabulous - calling to confirm tours was not a worry, supplying coffee and croissants before an early tour pick up was no trouble - and neither was helping me open the safe when I mucked up the combination somehow....The staff were also happy to assist me with language and direction questions so my entire visit inside and outside the hotel was enhanced as a result! Two items to improve on in my opinion - the hotel laundry service needs to be cheaper! We had already been away for several weeks and we had booked in too many activities to spend any time at a laundromat. The in-house service was a bit expensive. Also it would have been nice to be able to make a cup of tea or coffee in the room (but that is just what we are used to and it was Paris... So no deal breaker there!). Most of the staff speak a number of languages too. We really enjoyed our time at this hotel and we will certainly be going back if we want the city and sights Paris accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank KthLEn
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This lovely boutique hotel is perfectly located in the heart of Paris.
We were surprised to learn that Chanel opened her first-ever boutique in the same street (Rue Cambon), it is still there, literally a short walk away from the Melia Vendome.
Overall, a perfect location for shops, attractions, underground (Metro) and restaurants.
Even if you miss your Starbucks, it is in 2 minutes walk; there is also a lovely wine shop very close to the Melia Vendome and a couple of gorgeous cafes.

I understand the hotel was refurbished not long ago and their suites are elegant and yet very homely, of generous size. My family spent a long weekend there, loved the room and the staff at the hotel, who were all very friendly, helpful and warm.

The breakfast was very generous; in Paris you sometimes don't get a massive choice. Here they served a great buffet and freshly made omelette was available as well.
We were happily surprised to see champagne on the breakfast buffet. The concierge guys and the team at the reception were really helpful and attentive.

We will certainly come back to stay here again.

Room Tip: Would recommend to ask for a family size room, or a suite. They are great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family