All reviews pont cardinet train station minute walk breakfast was excellent cafes and restaurants rooms are small eiffel tower parisian necessities france charles versailles champs gare opera neighborhood arrondissement
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Just as Nick E. below, I was a little concerned by some of the reviews for “Villa Eugenie”. The hotel was booked through a website that I regularly use for my trips, and its name was revealed only after paying.

Even though it said that the location was “great”, I would not say that it was that great after looking at the map of Paris. True, the Rome metro station was close enough (7-10 minutes on foot), but, as somebody else had already pointed out, it was convenient for getting to and from the airport, but not convenient for going to the city centre. Originally, I thought I would be using the Malesherbes metro station, but it took me quite a long time to figure out which way to go from there several times. Another review on www.tripadvisor.com (thanks, TripAdvisor!) mentioned Villiers, so I started using it, and it turned out to be very nice (about 15 minutes’ stroll through Boulevard des Batignolles, very green, and then straight onto Rue de Rome).

In terms of safety of the area, I didn’t notice anything suspicious or dangerous for a young woman travelling solo. A lycee on Boulevard des Batignolles, various cafes and restaurants, Franprix and Monoprix supermarkets, a corner shop “Huit sur huit” (in Rue des Batignolles) closeby, elderly ladies walking their dogs testify to it being an ordinary district where people live and work. By the way, the building with the Banque de France letters on it is also there.

Now to the hotel.

The receptionist confirmed that the higher one’s room was, the weaker internet connection was. My room was on the second floor. Internet connection there was okay to browse the web; Skype calls were of poor quality and sending uncompressed pics was impossible.

The room was overlooking the street and the railroad, but even though I am an extremely light sleeper, the noise didn’t occur too often and wasn’t bothering me at all. Paris streets at night are generally VERY quiet.

The bathroom seemed to have been recently renovated and was very clean.

The towels and linens were clean, too.

The room was cleaned every day, but at one point, after the maid failed to double lock the door with a key (it is impossible to open the door without a key after closing it, but I felt like this was a security lapse) and the cleaning seemed to have been done in a careless manner, I decided to do without everyday cleaning.

In fact, I was told that the rooms were cleaned on weekends, too.

What really interfered with the enjoyment of staying at Villa Eugenie, were reviews about thefts at the hotel. Though I have no reason not to believe what I read on TripAdvisor, I am not sure how thefts could have occurred unless committed by the personnel (since doors cannot be opened without a key upon exiting). Interestingly enough, I didn’t find a single French-language review mentioning thefts at the hotels.

Each room being equipped with a safe box, and I was recommended to use it upon arrival.

Still, nothing went missing (it was also true that I didn’t have truly valuable items).

I would say that if it had not been for my being unsure whether my laptop and cell phones with chargers would all be there once I returned from the city centre (because of theft reviews), I would have enjoyed my stay much more than I did.

But it is not a 4-star hotel by all means. I would not give it more than 2.5-3 stars at most.

And the broken lift was fixed only on the third or fourth day, so guests were supposed to use the staff lift.

Room Tip: As mentioned in other reviews, the higher the floor, the weaker internet connection is. Even though my room overlooked the railroad, it didn't bother me at all.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Belle_etrangere
Reviewed 13 March 2013

By giving an overall mark is just a mediocre hotel, but regarding safety..CRAP. After We spent couple of nights in that hotel(which is run by Arabs), the room keeping staff managed to still our cellphones and jewlleries.
And the most outrageous thing is that nobody(managers) gives a damn about that and will not even bother to help somehow.
And that equals this hotel just to a hostel!!!

Room Tip: Noooo tippppssss, just run away!!!
Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Elena T
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Like many below, we were a little concerned by some of the reviews for 'Villa Eugenie' following a booking via Lastminute.com as a Mystery Hotel.

And we were pleasantly surprised and relieved. The hotel decor and atmosphere made for a charming, character-filled stay, and although we didn't make any great demands on the staff or amenities, we found all to be polite and courteous.

There are two metro stations within a short walk of the hotel... Brochant - handy for getting into the city centre, and Rome - handy for getting to Champs Elysees and Gare du Nord, so actually although it is a little bit out of the centre, the location of Villa Eugenie we found to be very convenient. We're reasonably fast walkers, but on a couple of occasions we abandoned the metro and walked from the hotel into the city centre, which took us around half an hour.

Minus points... the decor is a little tired, but not as bad as we had expected from some reviews. There was a light bulb out, which meant that our room was stuck on a somewhat romantic light level, and when we had accidentally locked ourselves out of the safe, the receptionist failed to sort it out after saying he would.

Plus points... ambience, character, the lift! a very cost room which was warm and comfortable. In any other hotel you might wake up thinking 'I'm in a hotel' - here, you wake up thinking 'I'M IN PARIS!' There are also some very good restaurants in the near vicinity, so you don't have to travel far in the evenings to get a good meal.

Everyone has different requirements of a hotel, and if you're after spacious rooms, mod cons and luxurious pampering, this may not be for you, but if you are after a slightly quirky, entirely Parisian experience, then look for bargains at the Villa Eugenie.

4  Thank Nick E
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My partner and I wanted to go to Paris for valentines, it was our first holiday together and what a lovely experience! Easy to find, sheets and towels changed daily, safe in the room so you can lock away your belongings with your own unique code, big bed, tv, lovely cafes and markets near by, a few stops from Montmarte, friendly & helpful staff, lift. We stayed in room 507 on the 5th floor which had 2 balconies. Heating was great, comfy bedding etc. the only thing I'd say is the furniture could do with an update & it would be nice if the wifi reached the 5th floor! We didn't have breakfast here as it was a little overpriced & why would you when you have all the lovely markets and cafes around the area?! Recommended.

Room Tip: 507 on 5th floor had the view of the street and the railway - currently in view of a crane
3  Thank TGD90
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We booked our room through an Early Bird deal at getaroom.com - and for that price, we couldn't complain. The room itself was certainly tiny but equipped with a reasonable sized bathroom, both fairly clean (yes, it had old wallpaper and furniture and the beadspread & curtains could use a thorough cleaning but they weren't extremely dirty). Towels and sheets were changed every day and we didn't notice anyone looking through our belongings or anything of that sort. Staff were pleasant and friendly, we could check in a few hours earlier than the official check-in time. We had a room overlooking the street (and not the railway) on the 6th floor and the soundproofing seemed fine. The airconditioning/heating though was quite noisy, otherwise it did its job, the room was always warm. The wifi worked only on the ground floor, at the lobby/breakfast area.
All in all, we recommend Villa Eugenie to anyone who's on a budget and can find a great deal like we could, who is not a hygiene-freak and who doesn't expect a 5-star hotel for this price. This small hotel is a very friendly and cozy place, with all the necessities for a tired tourist: a comfy bed and a clean shower.
If you are staying at this hotel, don't miss out on the nearby Rue Levis, which is a quintessential French market street with local people and a great atmosphere. We enjoyed a lovely dinner there at Bistrot d'I-D and had a look at all the nice little patisseries, cheese shops, butcher shops and florists.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a splendid view but no wifi.