All reviewspont cardinettrain stationminute walkbreakfast was excellentcafes and restaurantsrooms are smalleiffel towerparisiannecessitiesfrancecharlesversailleschampsgareoperaneighborhoodarrondissement
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Having read one or two reviews that were less than glowing about this hotel I was a little worried about our stay. However we loved the place. The decor yes dated but very French which added to the character, The room we had was 601 it was decorated with fabric on the walls hence the dated appearance but it was lovely my wife loved it. The bathroom was a reasonable size all in all the room was great. The view from the balcony was basicaly a train line I worried at first about noise but to be honest it never bothered us I think the trains stopped running about midnight. If you are a light sleeper it might be a concern, I found a nice bottle of French wine with diner worked the best.
The staff on the front desk were all very helpful and cheerful. The room was clean and was kept clean every day we left a daily tip of 3 euros which might have helped. I did not use the safe which I locked on the first day and could not open after that, I had not followed the instructions quite right.
We had pre-paid for breakfast as part of a package otherwise it would have been 15 euros each. The breakfast was exactly what you would expect a selection of meats cereals yoghurts and fruit, there was scrambled eggs and cooked ham on offer as well and plenty of French bread and other pastries.
The hotel location is great an eight minute bus ride on the number 31 bus gets you to the Arc de Triomphe where we bought a two day pass fro the city tour bus (red bus). I wish now we had used the paris tour bus (yellow bus) as this has more stops. The city tour has very limited stops so you can not always get off close to the attraction you want. We did walk all the way down the Champs-Elysees one day and went as far as the Gardens des Tuileries which are at the entrance to the Louvre. If you turn right out of the hotel within a short walk is the number 53 bus stop this goes to the Opera which is great for the center of Paris. Bus fare is 2 Euros per person we decided that we did not need a week ticket as we used the tour bus for two days.
I would say that this is not a four star hotel but I think that the star rating system in France is under review at the moment. Don,t expect too much from this hotel and you will have a great stay.
We found a great little cafe just opposite the hotel called Cafe-De-La-Gare it has a happy hour from 6 to 9 every day and the food is basic but afordable and good.

Room Tip: We liked 601 it is a nice size only down side is it looks over a train line.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trevor F
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Just as Nick E. below, I was a little concerned by some of the reviews for “Villa Eugenie”. The hotel was booked through a website that I regularly use for my trips, and its name was revealed only after paying.

Even though it said that the location was “great”, I would not say that it was that great after looking at the map of Paris. True, the Rome metro station was close enough (7-10 minutes on foot), but, as somebody else had already pointed out, it was convenient for getting to and from the airport, but not convenient for going to the city centre. Originally, I thought I would be using the Malesherbes metro station, but it took me quite a long time to figure out which way to go from there several times. Another review on www.tripadvisor.com (thanks, TripAdvisor!) mentioned Villiers, so I started using it, and it turned out to be very nice (about 15 minutes’ stroll through Boulevard des Batignolles, very green, and then straight onto Rue de Rome).

In terms of safety of the area, I didn’t notice anything suspicious or dangerous for a young woman travelling solo. A lycee on Boulevard des Batignolles, various cafes and restaurants, Franprix and Monoprix supermarkets, a corner shop “Huit sur huit” (in Rue des Batignolles) closeby, elderly ladies walking their dogs testify to it being an ordinary district where people live and work. By the way, the building with the Banque de France letters on it is also there.

Now to the hotel.

The receptionist confirmed that the higher one’s room was, the weaker internet connection was. My room was on the second floor. Internet connection there was okay to browse the web; Skype calls were of poor quality and sending uncompressed pics was impossible.

The room was overlooking the street and the railroad, but even though I am an extremely light sleeper, the noise didn’t occur too often and wasn’t bothering me at all. Paris streets at night are generally VERY quiet.

The bathroom seemed to have been recently renovated and was very clean.

The towels and linens were clean, too.

The room was cleaned every day, but at one point, after the maid failed to double lock the door with a key (it is impossible to open the door without a key after closing it, but I felt like this was a security lapse) and the cleaning seemed to have been done in a careless manner, I decided to do without everyday cleaning.

In fact, I was told that the rooms were cleaned on weekends, too.

What really interfered with the enjoyment of staying at Villa Eugenie, were reviews about thefts at the hotel. Though I have no reason not to believe what I read on TripAdvisor, I am not sure how thefts could have occurred unless committed by the personnel (since doors cannot be opened without a key upon exiting). Interestingly enough, I didn’t find a single French-language review mentioning thefts at the hotels.

Each room being equipped with a safe box, and I was recommended to use it upon arrival.

Still, nothing went missing (it was also true that I didn’t have truly valuable items).

I would say that if it had not been for my being unsure whether my laptop and cell phones with chargers would all be there once I returned from the city centre (because of theft reviews), I would have enjoyed my stay much more than I did.

But it is not a 4-star hotel by all means. I would not give it more than 2.5-3 stars at most.

And the broken lift was fixed only on the third or fourth day, so guests were supposed to use the staff lift.

Room Tip: As mentioned in other reviews, the higher the floor, the weaker internet connection is. Even though my room overlooked the railroad, it didn't bother me at all.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Belle_etrangere
Reviewed 13 March 2013

By giving an overall mark is just a mediocre hotel, but regarding safety..CRAP. After We spent couple of nights in that hotel(which is run by Arabs), the room keeping staff managed to still our cellphones and jewlleries.
And the most outrageous thing is that nobody(managers) gives a damn about that and will not even bother to help somehow.
And that equals this hotel just to a hostel!!!

Room Tip: Noooo tippppssss, just run away!!!
Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Elena T
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Like many below, we were a little concerned by some of the reviews for 'Villa Eugenie' following a booking via Lastminute.com as a Mystery Hotel.

And we were pleasantly surprised and relieved. The hotel decor and atmosphere made for a charming, character-filled stay, and although we didn't make any great demands on the staff or amenities, we found all to be polite and courteous.

There are two metro stations within a short walk of the hotel... Brochant - handy for getting into the city centre, and Rome - handy for getting to Champs Elysees and Gare du Nord, so actually although it is a little bit out of the centre, the location of Villa Eugenie we found to be very convenient. We're reasonably fast walkers, but on a couple of occasions we abandoned the metro and walked from the hotel into the city centre, which took us around half an hour.

Minus points... the decor is a little tired, but not as bad as we had expected from some reviews. There was a light bulb out, which meant that our room was stuck on a somewhat romantic light level, and when we had accidentally locked ourselves out of the safe, the receptionist failed to sort it out after saying he would.

Plus points... ambience, character, the lift! a very cost room which was warm and comfortable. In any other hotel you might wake up thinking 'I'm in a hotel' - here, you wake up thinking 'I'M IN PARIS!' There are also some very good restaurants in the near vicinity, so you don't have to travel far in the evenings to get a good meal.

Everyone has different requirements of a hotel, and if you're after spacious rooms, mod cons and luxurious pampering, this may not be for you, but if you are after a slightly quirky, entirely Parisian experience, then look for bargains at the Villa Eugenie.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nick E
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My partner and I wanted to go to Paris for valentines, it was our first holiday together and what a lovely experience! Easy to find, sheets and towels changed daily, safe in the room so you can lock away your belongings with your own unique code, big bed, tv, lovely cafes and markets near by, a few stops from Montmarte, friendly & helpful staff, lift. We stayed in room 507 on the 5th floor which had 2 balconies. Heating was great, comfy bedding etc. the only thing I'd say is the furniture could do with an update & it would be nice if the wifi reached the 5th floor! We didn't have breakfast here as it was a little overpriced & why would you when you have all the lovely markets and cafes around the area?! Recommended.

Room Tip: 507 on 5th floor had the view of the street and the railway - currently in view of a crane
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple