“Very pleasant stay”
Review of Villa Eugenie

Villa Eugenie
Ranked #1,070 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 2 May 2007

I had a truly lovely stay at Villa Eugenie. Yes, it is a bit out of the way, but as a New Yorker, I did not mind the long walk through Paris in the least bit. The hotel is small and charming and ornate decorations are throughout. Reception desk was pleasant and I suggest asking them for a much-needed map to get around. The elevator is adorable and barely fits one with a suitcase or two. My room was very, very clean with linens in red toile throughout. Not for the faint of heart but I was in heaven. The bathroom was very accomodating and new. I never ate there so I can't tell you about the food but there is a lovely and lively street off of Rue Cardinet filled with bakeries, butchers and cafes where you will find delicious food at a very reasonable price. I would pick up lunch there everdyday and eat in in nearby Parc Monceau. Nice treat! There is a small market just next door where I had Internet access at a very low cost (40 euros for 10 minutes). Clearly the hotel is worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank Anastasia M

Reviewed 9 April 2007

Great deal and a cozy room. it's not nearly that out of the way as some of the reviews may suggest. the pont cardinet RER is right on the corner and two metro stops are less than a ten minute walk. there's a quaint park across the tracks complete with a carousel, greenhouse and small duck pond - the neighbourhood certainly doesn't feel too touristy. some good cafes along with a few decent bakeries and restaurants scatter the area as well. great value for money, i'd stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank socialcasualty
Reviewed 28 February 2007

I stayed there 5 nights in Feb. 2007. The room and bathroom were always very clean, relatively quiet, and there was always hot water. The room was very small with minimal storage space, but the bathroom was larger than needed. The elevator, however, is barely able to accomodate 2 travelers with their bags at one time. Breakfast was included, but I never ate there...I rarely eat in hotels.

I liked the location. Skip the Rome metro stop; it is better to use the Villiers Metro stop, which is a shorter and more interesting walk to/from hotel, and has direct access to Gare du Nord. You pass by many small restaurants and cafe's, as well as a bustling open-air food market on Rue Villiers (closed on mondays) I found Ely's bar/restaurant across the street served decent inexpensive meals until late evening, and there is a cyber cafe/small market next door. If you are a walker, as I am, you will be able to access major shopping areas on Hausmann Blvd.directly south 1-2 miles away.

My only concern was upon checkout, they dinged me 7 euros for a bottle of minibar wine I never used. The staff member offered to discuss it with the manager later, but I had a flight to catch and it was not worth the trouble to fight it. My fault in not requesting bill updates during my stay; always do so.

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank jaybyrdCO
Reviewed 5 January 2007

It's a cute and charming little hotel with a few touches of class. I was traveling with my adult daughter, and we both enjoyed our stay. Granted, we were out sightseeing most of the time, but the cleanliness of the rooms and friendly desk staff were a nice surprise. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Rome metro stop. It's a dull walk, and a little difficult with large suitcases. But we began to see it as a nice neighborhood after traveling that route for several days, and found some helpful people along the way when we were first arriving. There's another metro stop nearby that allows a more scenic route, too.

While our room was (typically, for Europe) tiny, the bathroom was fairly large, extraordinarily clean, and furnished with nice toiletries. The room was quiet, and we didn't hear road noise or neighbors.

The breakfast looked excellent, though we didn't partake.

I would definitely stay there again, given a low price through Hotwire or Priceline.

• Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank crawfishpie
Reviewed 17 December 2006

I've stayed several times at the Villa Eugenie and each time it was a very enjoyable stay. It's not expensive for what you actually get. The rooms are not huge but they are beautifully appointed. It's a very clean hotel and the breakfast was very nice. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank sb5000
Reviewed 12 December 2006

I liked it. The staff was super nice and friendly. True, the rooms are small but where in Europe do you find large ones? Nowhere, unless you prepare to pay $$$$. The breakfast was outstanding and the location was pretty good. A short walk to a metro, about 15min walk to Opera/Printemps. I see some of the newer reviews are trashing the hotel. But when I stayed there 4 yrs ago (in 2002) it was excellent. I recommended it to everybody I knew.

• Stayed: May 2002, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LobsterDaddy
Reviewed 6 November 2006

This hotel is officially a 4 star, but don't expect 4 star service...but it's also not all that bad. I paid just $86/night and for this price it was good value.

My room #202 wasn't so tiny and the bathroom was quite large. Everything was extremely clean and generally the hotel staff were very accommodating.

I'm used to outside noise at night so didn't find the rumble from the traffic/trains a problem. However I shared a room with someone who isn't used to this and they found it difficult to sleep.

The location isn't great, but Rome metro is an easy 5 mins walk away.

Overall, if you can get this hotel at a good price (Hotwire/Priceline) then you'll be happy as long as you can cope with a little external noise. Book a full price room and you'll wish you went elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple