“buyer beware”

De L'Ocean Hotel
Ranked #1,216 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
“buyer beware”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I was hoping the Hotel was better than reviews suggested sadly that was not the case.
I arrived early morning about 8 am after a long haul flight. The desk clerk put me in the basement to "freshen up" and thought room would be available in about an hour. Actaully he went off duty and left me in the basement which stank of some chemical smell. You could smell this on the approach outside the hotel!
I went back up to the desk where a very rude clerk told me no room was ready but to come back at 11.
I did so and was told room would not be ready till 2!
On further request room was ready at 12 i had to retrieve my bags from the store cupboard and get them to my room with no offer of assistance.
Room was very stuffy and had the same chemical smell everything very tatty
Bathrom not so clean and toilet seat cracked , cheap soap and sachet of shampoo/bodywash provided towels grey and thin.
Hotel very close to Cadet Metro and walking distance to Opera

All in all an expensive unpleasant stay would not reccommend to anyone

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Jcsyd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Noosa Heads
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed 8 nights and found the hotel comfortable and well situated close to the metro, shops and restaurants. Our room on the 5th floor was spacious,quite and very clean. The staff (apart from one who was mentioned in an other review) were very helpfull and the breakfast was adequate. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Request and higher floor and for quiteness ask for a back room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bzeds
Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed 21 May 2012

LOCATION: OK, close to the La Fayette street, and some 200 meters from a subway station Cadet. It is a walking distance from the Galleries La Fayette store and Opera.
STAFF: one guy at the reception seemed somewhat interested in his job and the guests. The others seemed that they were there just because they had to be. We had reservations so check-in was rather quick, although starting from 2:00 PM, which I didn't like ( arrived at 10:30 AM). I preferred it to be earlier. My stay at the hotel was paid in advance by my tourist agency. However, on check-out, although the guy from my agency sent them all the data (by fax) so they can charge the agency, the receptionist couldn't find the fax, not in the printed form, nor in the computer, so he tried to charge me from my credit-card. I ended up calling up my agency (and spending some money on my phone bill calling from far abroad), so they dictated me their data again, and the receptionist finally finalized the payment with my agency. I was so angry because the receptionist seemed incompetent to find a very important document (and I showed it), so the receptionist kept apologizing as we left the hotel.
FACILITIES: on the first day their elevator didn't work. I had to climb up the spiral stairs, which was not a problem for me (I was on the 2nd floor) but probably it was for the people in the upper floors, especially if they had to carry some heavy luggage.
ROOMS: small. Cleanliness so-so, not impressive. To me it seemed like a 2* hotel by any criteria. Bathroom was pretty old, old tiles, '70's or '80's cheap design, simple white tiles and so on. You can see behind the toilet and underneath the sink, and those areas are not being regularly cleaned. In the rooms there is no "welcome to the hotel" brochure with some info on the hotel services, only a paper with mini-bar price list. Shame.
BREAKFAST: poor! one sort of (a bit dry) cheap cheese, and some salami (most probably pork, so no adequate alternative for non-pork eating guests. Butter, honey, boiled eggs. Three kinds of cereals in containers of which at least one doesn't work. Some pastry, but of low quality. Fruit yogurts were fine (they were Danone brand, so I expected them to be OK). Coffee: awful! Do not take it when they offer it to you.
ALL IN ALL: as most of the things in Paris, this hotel was hugely overpriced. The other overpriced things in Paris do have some justification because of their originality and exclusiveness, but this hotel should charge their guests about one-third of the price they currently charge. If you are looking only for a convenient location and a place to sleep-over and the price they charge is not a problem, go for it. However, there are loads of hotels in Paris to choose from, so I would recommend you avoid it if you can.

Room Tip: try to avoid this hotel, it is overpriced for what it has to offer
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Tamarin
Reviewed 11 May 2012

You know you are not going to like it when you have booked on the Internet and you walk to the hotel and think the area is wrong, the hotel looks small, the reception is outdated and the welcome indifferently from a bored and tired employee. The room was small, the bed cheap and the furnishings tired and thin. The price was very high and I could not wait to leave.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Peter H

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012 via mobile

The overall experience is quite bad there are the reasons
1 lift was not working 2 days out of three
2 telephone was not working
3 air condition was not working
4 bathroom just old at least looks very old

Breakfast was good and staff quite friendly. Hotel location is excellent -5 min from metro cadet and 15 min walk to montparnass.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank oleg162
Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This hotel was chosen by organizers of a conference held in the city in November. All of us were academics very familiar with the city, having spent much time in rented apartments or hotel rooms there over the past 40 years. All of us were disappointed with this hotel. The location is good, near the Gard du Nord, and there are plenty of resources nearby including a lovely little café on the corner of Rue Lafayette, Le Corail. However, how the hotel is keeping its stars is a mystery. The rooms were shabby with the strong scent of pesticide or brand new mattresses in otherwise unrenovated decor which suggests they've had a recent problem with bed bugs. The bathroom fixtures were cracked. Lightbulbs were out in the stairwell and, in spite of mentioning this to the concierge, never replaced over four days which made descent dangerous between the first and ground floors. The elevator constantly broke down, causing the concierge to leave for long periods into the basement to reset it. The carpets are old and dirty. Breakfast was expensive for the terrible processed food that was offered and the indifferent service. Even lights in the sign with the hotel's name are missing outside, setting the stage for the poor maintenance within. One does not receive any quality for the high rate charged based upon location and star rating. I would avoid staying here if you have any other choice!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ophelia1953
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

To cut story short;
We have checked our wallets in the morning before the breakfest, knew how much we had, then after breakfest went to the town (didnt need to use our wallets till when wanted to pay for tickets at Eiffel tower), to our suprise we had less then anticipated!!! I have seen the cleaner leaving the room and had given her 2 euros for doing a good job !!!

The elevator is bit shaky and twice only went to floor minus 1 and not the 5th floor that we are at:-(
For breakfast, you have a selection of cereals, one plater of cheese and one of salami plus bread and sweet pastries- if you hungry that will do.
Place is really close to Garre du Nord and close to Cadet metro station.
Good location would make the place worth choosing but the whole money situation spoiled it all for us, i have complained in the reception and was told they are really sorry, and that was end of it.
I must say that we have left the wallets on the beds so they were easily accesible, but spending my hols in Spain, Greece, Cyprus........ i have never had my money taken away:-(

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends