“Great hotel for business travel - Public laundromat nearby”

Hotel Atala Champs Elysees
Ranked #435 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I just returned from a week-long business trip in Paris. As I have mentioned in a previous review of another hotel, my company is cheap and so my hotel budget is pretty small. With advance payment, Atala C.E was able to accommodate.

Basically, anyone who has ever done business travel in Paris should really not complain about this place. I have stayed in a lot of places, and most range from terrible to disappointing.

My experience at Atala was exceptionally good. I showed up early on a Sunday morning. Even though check-in was not until later in the afternoon and my room was busy, the lady at reception was able to move me to another room so I could check in, shower and put my stuff away. I do speak French, but I heard her interact with other customers. Her English close to bilingual. She was equally professional and accommodating to them as she was to me.

This stay at Atala was great, because it beat all the low expectations I had, based on prior experiences.

I expected a room the size of a broom closet. By Paris standards, especially given the location (Champs Elysees), the cheapest (read: smallest) room they had was enormous. I’d say it’s about 25 sq. meter, or 250 sq. feet. And I had a queen size bed (praise the lord…).

I expected no or faulty air conditioning. This was the middle of a heat wave early August 2013 but the air conditioning unit above the front door delivered more cool air than I needed, to the point where I had to turn it off at night (it got chilly!).

Because this is right on Champs Elysees, I expected noise. Turns out my room was on the back yard and I heard – quite literally – nothing at all, day and night.

Expected a painful lack of amenities: Safe worked great. I asked for an iron and board, got both for free. Wifi worked perfectly and (a real shock!) was free. Room was spotless and cleaned daily. Got refill of bath products daily, and towels were changed roughly every 2-3 days even though I never asked for the change (you can get clean ones every day if you ask).

Overall, Atala overshot on all my expectations by miles and miles. The things I did expect to be nice were there. From the hotel, a 2 minute walk will get you to metro station George V. 10 minutes to one of Paris’s transportation hubs Etoile or more lines at FDR station. There’s obviously a million bars and restaurants around there but my advice would be stay away from Champs Elysees (tourist trap central) and explore the parts to the East (Friedland, Berri…).

Apparently, the hotel has a good restaurant and a free gym. I did not use them.

Finally, I’ve kept the best for last: One BIG, BIG plus is the public C’NET Laundromat about a quarter mile from the hotel. Address is 48 rue de Berri. If you like to travel light, and you’re staying at Atala, you can use this place to get laundry done. It opens at 7 am and a 5 kilo wash / dry with powder will cost you about 8 euros. Bring coins.

Great little hotel. I was very pleased to have stayed there.

Room Tip: If you're travelling alone, the smallest room should do just fine. For a couple, this could be a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank karelva
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Good morning,

Thank you so much! It is really nice of you to have taken the time to write such a nice comment!
The Atala Team is working for the guests to be satisfied, to feel confortable and to leave with a nice memory of the hotel. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Atala Champs Elysees

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I had some trouble finding the hotel when I first got there. In reality it could not have a better location. It is five minutes away from either of the metro stations (Etoile - Charles de Gaulle or George V). Yet it is far enough from the main thoroughfare that you do not hear the tourist traffic that is customary for Champs Elysees.

The hotel and facilities have some age. You could see it was recently renovated however you still saw the exposed plumbing in the bathroom. Overall the room looked like something from the early 80s. It is very likely I had asked for a king bed but I probably ended up with a twin. Hopefully you do not like watching TV as that looked as it was from the 80s as well. I did not even consider the breakfast option, something like 22 euros.

In the end none this mattered as it was my intention to see as much as possible on foot and metro. I would get to the hotel late that the bed felt just fine and no time for TV. I was able to get by with breakfast at a cost of 10 to 12 euros at any of the cafes or bakeries.

A great experience considering the location. I could not have imagined staying close to Champs Elysees at a cost equivalent of $150 per night. Also congratulations to the staff, very helpful and good English in the event my French was not functional.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
hotelatala, Responsable Hébergement at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Chillinathtown,

I would like to apologize for the room and the TV as you did not like them.
As you could see, the Atala hotel is a small independant hotel and we are renovating the rooms one by one. Therefore if you wish to stay in Atala in the future, you can ask for another room type.
Concerning the TV, we do agree with you and we will change everthing next year hopefully.
About the breakfast, I understand that 22 euros is more expensive than the 10 or 12 euros that you found in cafes or bakeris, however for 22 euros, we propose a buffet with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, different fruit juices, water, milk, different types of breads, mini viennoiseries, yogurth, cheeses, cold meat, smoked salmon, cereals, fruits, fruit salads, eggsand you can serve yourself as much as you want. If you wish to take all this in a parisian cafe, the price would be a lot more than 22 euros!

Thank you for your nice comment about the staff, the entire team is really pleased!

I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed as a couple for 2 nights and were very impressed by the hotel.

The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful from the moment we checked in. We had a superior double room which was a good size, very well decorated and had all required facilities along with a balcony with a view of the Eiffel Tower.

Hotel is in an excellent location, in a quiet road but only a couple of minutes walk from the Champs Elysees. The George V metro station is also only a couple of minutes walk away.

We did not use the bar facilities or the garden due to the limited time we had but they looked quite impressive.

We considered the hotel very good value for the standard and location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelatala, Responsable Hébergement at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear Richard and Alison,

Thank you so much for this nice comment.

It is such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel.

We look foward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed at the Atala over the weekend of the tour de France climax. Great location for the race and for sight seeing - only 2 minutes walk to the champs elysees. Our room (602) was a suite with 2 balconies overlooking the eiffel tower. It was a large, clean and comfortable room that was well air conditioned. Tea and coffee making facilities provided. Staff were friendly and accommodating. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Lynn W,

Thank you so much for this nice comment.

The entire Atala team is delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I came in Paris for 2 days with client and couldn't go to my usual place, so we end up in Atala.
very well located but not 4 stars hotel at all.
the location is perfect, 2 minutes from the champs élysées but the room and the service is not what you may expect.
the personal are nice and polite but they are missing the little thing which make the difference.
Rooms are small and old (on the 5th floor), tiny bathroom
they have a nice garden inside and cozy foyer and a small gym
the breakfast is not with large choice

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Greg L
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear Sir,

I am really sorry if you did not enjoy your stay in Atala.

Concerning the room, I understand by your description that you had a Traditional single room. These rooms are not very big this is true, this is why they can accomodate only one person but it is a normal size for Paris. In lots of hotels, they even sell this size as a double room.
All our other kind of rooms (Superior, Superior with balcony and view, Deluxe and Suite) are a lot more spacious and very comfortable.
As we are a small and independant hotel, we cannot renovate all our rooms at the same time and the Traditionnal single are very traditional when the new ones are more modern.
If by any chance, you had time to come back, we could show you other rooms that you may prefer.

Concerning the personal, I am very sorry and astonished as this is normally one of our strenghs. If you had anytime to explain to me what happened or what did not happen, I would be really grateful.

For the breakfast, we serve bread, viennoiseries, brioches, cereals, yogurth, fruits, fruits salad, fruit juices, cheeses, cold meat, salmon, eggs, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Therefore if you could tell me what you would expect, it would be interesting for us.

Thank you in advance.

I remain at your disposal.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights, It was a birthday treat and when I told the staff we were given an upgrade. The metro is close by making it easy with a suitcase, I wanted a central location, near the Champs Elysees. (it's about 3 minute walk and 5 to the Arc). The Champs Elysees is very busy and noisy, but the hotel is tucked in a very quiet little side street and we could not hear any traffic sounds. we did not include breakfast because at 22 Euros each we thought it was quite expensive. The staff were very friendly and efficient. The room we were given was 702 and has a fantastic view of the Eiffel Tower from the balcony. The room was clean and very comfortable, We had a great time in paris and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you can get it. 702 great view of Eiffel Tower.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your nice comment!

The entire team is really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, the location of the hotel, the cleanliness and the kindness of the staff.

Concerning the breakfast, this is true, 22 euros is quite expensive but this is the Paris' price and also our breakfast is a buffet where you can take as much as you like.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I had been looking at hotels on the main roads off Champs Elysees (very expensive) and found Atala tucked-in off one of these roads. The saving was over £100 for the night! Atala has a great location (only a minute walk from the Metro) but far enough away to avoid the noise. The decor was lovely and welcoming, as were the staff (friendly and multi-lingual). My room was smallish (it had a desk but no table) but it was clean and again, nicely decorated. Most importantly, as a female travelling alone, I felt safe! The only drawback was no coffee/tea making facilities in the room, although the coffee I ordered through room service in the morning did arrive very quickly!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stajovia
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for this lovely comment about our hotel, we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the location, the decoration and the staff!

Concerning the coffee/tea making facilities, they are available on request.
And about the size, all our rooms apart from the single ones, are very spacious.
It may be for another stay in hotel Atala!

Do not hesitate to contact us, the reception team and I remain at your disposal.

We hope to welcome you again in the futur.