“Spacious room but terribly noisy and overheated” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Atala Champs Elysees

Hotel Atala Champs Elysees
Ranked #634 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
“Spacious room but terribly noisy and overheated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

We had a room for 3 people overlooking rue Chateaubriand. The room was surprisingly spacious (particularly for a Paris hotel room) and was well furnished although the decor was rather dated. it was also very clean. The bathroom was also very spacious and clean though very dated. There was a good selection of complimentary toiletries and plenty of towels. The toilet was separate which was great. Our main 2 problems with this hotel were that the room was extremely hot and we were only able to cool it by opening both the large window onto the street and the bathroom window to create a through-draught, and that the street outside was extremely noisy, including trucks turning up at the neighboring building site and being loaded with stones (at least that's what it sounded like) at 5am every morning (incl. weekends). As the heat meant we had to have the window open, we were woken every night several times. Even when we tried closing the window and risking melting, the double glazing was clearly so old it had no noise-insulating function at all. As the primary function of a hotel room for me is somewhere to sleep, this failed to meet my requirements.
If however you are fortunate enough to be able to sleep through anything, this hotel represented good value for money and has a great location, 5 minutes walk from Georges V metro stop, 10 minutes from the Charles de Gaulle-Étoile metro-RER interchange and right behind the landmark Champs-Élysées towards the Arc de Triomphe end.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from rue Chateaubriand as possible to avoid noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AH2509
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear AH2509,

First I would like to apologize for the lack of sleep and comfort. As you said, the primary function of a hotel room is somewhere to sleep, as you could not sleep, we have failed and I am really sorry for that.

I would like to know which room you had exactly to check the windows, heating and beds. If you have any time, feel free to contact me directly: jessica@hotel-atala.com

If you would like to try again the Atala hotel, you must know that 60% of our rooms are located on the garden side which is very quiet.
The Chateaubriand street is normally very quiet, however I think that you are talking about the bin truck which passes every morning.
What is not normal is that the heating was too high, have you told the reception about this problem?

Concerning the dated decor, you have been accomodated in a room with a classical decoration. If you wish to come back, we could propose you a brand new renovated room with a modern style in the room itsefl as well as in the bathroom.

I feel really bad that you did not enjoy your stay especially because you wrote plenty of very nice comments and it is a shame that we were not able to satisfy your requirements. Again I am really sorry.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, I remain at your disposal.

Jessica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Eilat, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Staye here very often.
Paris is pricey. Hotels are ridiculously expensive. This hotel is perfectly located behind Champs D' Elyssee near the Arc de Triumph.
Staff is extremely helpful and breakfast is totally adequate. Although some prefer to go to a local boulangerie for the atmosphere.
Rooms tend to be very small Be prepared.
They just renovated and have added a fitness room.

Room Tip: rooms are very different so ask them about the kind of room you order.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Ben H,

Thank you very much, we are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and its location and thank you for your nice comment about the staff.

Concerning the size of the rooms, please note that the small rooms are single rooms accomodating only one person. All the double rooms are very spacious and confortable.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

All the best for 2014!

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here two nights in a single room. Everything was great. The room was nicely done for Paris, the price was reasonable and I had the gym (small but quite sufficient) all to myself.

For me this location was poerfect. It's close to the Metro and perfect for the work I came to Paris to do.

I also love that someone from the hotel takes enough interest in comments on Trip Advisor to comment on/answer som many of the reviews. It shows a level of interest and commitment that is uncommon and I think that is also reflected in the hotel.

One of the criticisms others make is that the breakfast is expensive. It is 22 Euro so you can get breakfast cheaper if you go out but the food is certainly decent and plentiful and if you really ar ebothered by the price, you may wish to reconsider Paris, not to mention most of Europe.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Joe G
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Joe G,

Well thank you so much for your comment!

We are really pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and the gym.
You are totally right, we take interest in our guests comments because this is the only way to improve.
Thank you for taking our side on the breakfast price, this is very nice of you, and I agree with what you wrote.

I hope to welcome you again in the future.

Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

double-room was practically an apartment, breakfast reasonable, staff great help - very willing with every request, location unbeatable, right near main metro line.
definitely a great deal, will return asap!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank yehuda_12
Dear Yehuda,

Thank you so much for this nice comment!
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Nizhni Novgorod, Nizhegorodskaya obl., Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Overall Atala Hotel is very good. Perfect location: it's 3 min walk to Champs-Elysees but still situated on the quiet street, so there is no noise. Our room was rather large and perfectly furnished: stylish, functional and tastefully. The breakfast was fabulous, though it's rather expensive but it is worth money: 4-5 kinds of cheese, salmon, cherry tomatoes and cornichons, 3-4 kinds of sausage, fresh juices, fruit salads etc. Service was also good. One thing which prevents me to evaluate this hotel is excellent is trouble which happened on our first day. Water drain in the bathroom malfunctioned, water is quickly accumulated in the bath which didn't make possible to take a shower. We complained in the evening but there was no technician and malfunction was repaired only next day. I would suggest Atala to prepare rooms more carefully, so to identify such issues before complains from customers. All other things are good. Probably I will stay here again next time in Paris.

Room Tip: Check all facilities immediately when you get the room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MaximLeykin
hotelatala, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Mr. Leykin,

Thank you very much for your comment.
We are really pleased that you enjoyed the location, the room, the breakfast and the service.

Concerning the shower not working well, I present you my apologize. You are totally right, we should have noticed and repaired that before your arrival.

I remain at your disposal, do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope to welcome you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I booking in this hotel after carefully reviewing the comments here on trip advisor, made a reservation for 4 nights for a room Aug 2013, I arrived late at the hotel at 23:00 for a 8hrs long flight from dubai on the 22nd Aug as per the booking. on arrival I was greeted by a very rude member of staff at the reception. He confirmed my booking and took my credit card and charged it for 145 Euros (as per my booking details and confirmation).

After he charged my card, he says that the booking is incorrect and wants me to pay 40 Euros extra to hand over the room keys - he mentions that the booking is for a single person and as I was with my wife. I showed my booking confirmation copy and argued about my booking, I was told in a very rude manner either to pay and take the room or to leave the hotel.

Being very tired after the long flight and having stood in the reception of the hotel for nearly 30 mins, I paid the 40 Euro EXTRA and took the rooms keys. On going to the room I find out that room allotted to me was a single room and not a double room (I paid 40 Extra Euros in the middle of the night for a confirmed booking) and yet was given only a single room - moreover the room was really dirty and the beds seems to have been used. Called the reception again enquired about this, requested for a different room a couple of time (and for a double room), and having been denied - we were asked to leave the hotel at mid night after a really long flight. without any alternative rooms or arrangements I was left in the road with my really tired wife.

Room Tip: Choose better places - lots of hotels offer better prices and better services than this hotel - I ma...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S B
hotelatala, Responsable Hébergement at Hotel Atala Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Sir,

You made a reservation for a single room for one person.
In the hotel, we do have single rooms and double rooms. In a single room, we can only accomode one persone.
You arrived by yourself and did not say that your wife was with you.
The night receptionnist made you pay one night upon arrival because your credit card was refused for a pre-authorisation, this is the procedure.
Then your wife arrived. The night receptionnist told you that you cannot be 2 persons in a single room. This is the security law.
That is why he told you that you have to change room and pay an additionnal cost for the second person.
Then the room he gave you was far from a single room as the last room available we had was a Superior Family room very spacious. You called the receptionnist because there was 2 twin beds (and a sofa bed) instead of one big double bed. But this was our last double room available.
The night receptionnist called me at 11pm to try to find a solution.
He then called you back telling you that we could make one double bed but only in the next morning and if this was not enough, we could change the room.
You decided to leave the hotel.
We should have charged you 2 nights as our cancellation policy is 48 hours.
However we have refunded you for everything.
Is this a nightmare?

Regards

Bloomington, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a recent business trip. The property and rooms are quite small but the place is very fun. The place is very typically European. The service was outstanding as was the breakfast and laundry.

The workout "room" is really just a workout "corner" but the equipment is decent.

The location is perfect - just a block off of the Champs Elysees in the heart of Paris. If you ask for a room on the top floor, there is a beautiful view of the city from your outdoor balcony.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your nice comment.
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you again soon.