“Stay away! there are much nicer hotels in this fantastic area”

Hotel Madeleine Plaza
Ranked #351 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Chicago, Illinois
“Stay away! there are much nicer hotels in this fantastic area”
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Back in 2008 we stayed at the hotel Opal, rue Tronchet, located not very far away from the hotel Madeleine Plaza but I wished we had stayed there back again because our experience in this Plaza hotel was terrible. We could only check-in late in the afternoon while reception desk told us it would be cleaned and available earlier, as a result we've lost time waiting the first day. Second problem was the room itself that I would not consider as 'cleaned' as it should have been. Above all, the arrogance and very unpleasant staff at the reception desk is the reason why we felt we had to submit this review to warn futur visitors. Stay away also form their airport shuttle offer, very expensive and we almost missed our flight! Next time, no doubt, we'll be happy to return to Hotel Opal because we love this area close to everything.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChristieandTravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 27 April 2009

We had a queen suite with a bathroom off the bedroom. The room was nice and very roomy for Paris standards. Great views over Place de La Madeleine. Breakfast in the hotel is simple and a little expensive at 14 Euro, although it is buffet.

Hotel staff speak English very well. The service was adequate although do not expect 5 star service.

The real plus for this hotel is the location. Within walking distance all the Paris attractions, shopping, cafes etc. We would stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed 11 October 2008

I just returned and couldn't wait to submit this review. I absolutely enjoyed my week long business trip at this hotel.

Transportation- from CDG airport the easiest and cheapest method is the Roissy bus to the Opera. In terminal 2a the bus is outside door 9 and is clearly marked. Cost is about 9 Euro, (you can get a ticket from the driver). From the Opera it's only a five minute walk to the hotel. Just map it before you leave so you know the streets to take to the hotel (there are only two, very simple). Since it was raining I took a cab from the bus. What a waste. The ride cost only 4.20 Euro but there is a minimum rate of 5.80 so I should have just walked.

Check In - I arrived Sunday morning around 11am and was told that I couldn't check in until 2pm. Unfortunately it was raining and to my surprise just about every store in that part of town is closed on Sundays! So I had lunch at the cafe next door and then waited in the hotel lobby until the front desk let me check in around 2:30. I was so exhausted from my overnight flight from NY that I basically went to sleep when I got to my room and woke up the next morning for work. Which was actually a good thing because it eliminated most of my jet-lag.

Accommodations- Room was small (typical for Europe) but fine for one and probably acceptable for two if you don't have a lot of luggage. It had two twin beds which were connected. Not the most comfortable beds but I had no problem sleeping. The bathroom had a shower/tub combo. I'm 5'6" and had no problem with the shower height or stream power (although it could have been stronger). Closet was very small (it had a safe which you can rent the lock for 3Euros a night at the front desk) and there was a two drawer tiny dresser designed to put your suitcase on the top. TV had two English language channels, CNN World and BBC News. There was a mini-bar and a desk too. I did not pay for the hotel internet service and instead connected to an unsecure wireless network that my computer picked up. Best part of the room was the window. It was HUGE, with a little iron trellis across it when you opened both sides.

Breakfast - The hotel buffet was convenient. Nothing terribly special, but it was fresh. Easier to eat there than trying to find restaurants open early in the morning (many restaurants are not open before 8am). The buffet had breads, croissants, butter, jam, cream cheese, poached eggs, ham (deli-style), cheddar cheese, four cereals (corn flakes, museli, chocolate crisps and I think the last was Special K), dates/raisins, juices, yogurts and coffee/tea. It cost 12 Euros a day. A little costly for what you get but it would be hard to find the same for less in that area.

Commuting - I took the Metro to my office throughout the week. Very easy to use the Metro to get around the city. The entrance to the Madeleine stop is on the side of the hotel. Get a pass if you're going to use it for more than a few days.

Shopping - GREAT AREA for high end shops. Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré is an amazing street for fashion just a few blocks away. In the other direction are some huge department stores. Just remember that most shops don't open until mid-day and close by 7 or 8pm. And as I mentioned before most are not open on Sundays. Frankly I'm shocked by the limited hours. It was hard to fit in much shopping after working all day. But since this was a business trip and not a 'vacation' I really can't complain. If you have all day to wander around though you'll be fine.

Overall the hotel was more than sufficient, centrally located, comfortable, clean and the staff was very nice. The front desk staff spoke English and were more than willing to help with anything you needed. I would absolutely return again.

One note: don't book on their website, either call or use a travel agent. They overbooked someone the first night and told him it was because the internet booking gets lowest priority. They had to put him at another hotel for the first night and he was NOT happy.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank kurlz511
brazil
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I picked this hotel due to the TripAdvisor reviews. The location is excellent. The hotel is good - the rooms are not large, but not as small as many parisien hotels.
If you want a honest hotel very well located, you can pick this one. It´s a great choice. But if you need concierge services, than you may be disappointed.
I am quite happy with my choice.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Concierge services
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank zampra
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 August 2008

When I arrived at the hotel and stepped into the lobby, I had a feeling that this hotel was going to be above average, especially for the price. When I entered my sun drenched room, I dropped my pullman, ran to the balcony and did a "Sex and the City" dance a la Carrie. The room was perfect. It was large though it did have a single bed and had a huge balcony with views of the Madeleine Church, the Eiffel Tower, the Obelisk and more. It was heavenly. The balcony stretched to the pristine bathroom where there was another entrance to the balcony. The toilet was in a separate room cose to the entrance and it was also in immaculate condition. The hotel staff was kind and courteous. The continental breakfast was lackluster.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — The continental breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Boogie77
Leeds
Reviewed 11 August 2008

This hotel is in a great location and nicely furnished, it's just a shame about two or three of the staff.

Firstly we received what you could hardly call a warm welcome and then we also had a bad experience . . .

On buying an hour internet pass we logged on had a quick google then logged off using the necessary windows on screen. We went on later and the message said the time had expired. I went down to speak to the lady on reception only to be told you have to use it in one go, which it does not say anywhere as far as I could see. Fair enough and we weren't told this when we bought it. She promptly apologised and said we should have been told this and it was their fault . . . I had to ask for another pass and she tried to charge us another 9EUR.

On asking whether we got this for free, she said no sorry we would have to pay, reminding her she'd just admitted it was the hotel's fault she said sorry but there wasn't a lot she could do and the general message was "tough luck". However, she did say she would speak to the manager. On giving her my room number so she could call us we never received a phone call.

On paying the hotel bill when leaving I'd decided not to bring up the internet situation when paying as I couldn't really be bothered with an argument over 9EUR which I sense we'd have gotten into and bearing in mind we wanted to leave our bags there it was probably better not to go there!

On settling the bill we were dealt with by a member of staff who generally strutted around in a manner that suggested she thought she was better than everyone else and looked to have a poor attitude which was proved right when the only things we were asked were "room?", "anything from the mini bar?", "389 euros". No please, no thank you, no how was your stay, nothing curtious at all!

When collecting our bags I did say something to a young guy behind the desk regarding who to write to regarding a complaint. He was very polite and we discussed it as he asked what the problem was and he understand my point of view and was generally a really nice guy, I was tempted to also mention the attitude of the staff member who checked us out too but she was over like I shot for a good ear wigging so couldn't really say anything!

Besides this, room wise we went for a superior. It was a decent size, very Parisian and overlooked the Madeleine Church. We never bothered with breakfast as we just had a crossiant in the local cafes. We paid 190EUR a night which was reasonable considering the location, room size and view but to be honest, as stated, the general attitude of two or three members of staff soured our stay really.

Having read some of the other reviews, I'd be curious to know what shifts these friendly and helpful staff worked!

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Certain snotty members of staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BarryBethal
hong kong
Reviewed 31 July 2008

excellent location with easy access to the main tourist attrations : the Arc of trumph, the opera, the famous department stores .Nice and friendly staff.Breakfast is simple.Close to famous food shop .
Highly recommended.

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family