“Amazing location, friendly staff, clean rooms and perfect hotel for our 7 night stay”

Hotel Madeleine Plaza
Ranked #321 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Bloomfield, NJ
Reviewed 5 July 2009

This was our 3rd trip to Paris and first time staying at the Hotel Madeleine Plaza. The location is perfect -- near the Metro, cafes, great shopping, wonderful cafes/restaurants, the L'Olympia Theater and so much more.

Our room was on the fifth floor and we had an amazing view of the Madeleine Plaza and the Eiffel Tower, with a balcony. Our room was very clean and for an European hotel, it was spacious (we had 4 suitcases, shopping bags and plenty of room to move about). The bathroom was spacious and cleaned every day with fresh towels. The staff was always smiling and gracious to help us with our questions, especially the night gentleman who always let us in well past midnight.

Many thanks to Hotel Madeleine for making our visit such a great experience. When we return to Paris....we will return to Hotel Madeleine Plaza.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JLatzman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
california
Reviewed 3 July 2009

we stayed 4 nights in hotel madeleine plaza. Great location. Near shopping stores, restaurant, a coffee shop next door, and the madeleine church. Hotel room is quite small, but that's expected in Paris. AC was not as cool as other hotels. The male front desks were a lot nicer than the females, don't know why. Sami (front desk, night shift) was the best!!! He helped us book a day trip to the Versailles and did not mind working extra 1/2 hour to make sure we're confirmed. 4 thumbs up!!!!

• Stayed June 2009
3 Thank hewhew
Boston, MA
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and was very pleased with it in every way. I was travelling alone and found the area safe, even late at night. The location is terrific, I walked almost everywhere and only took the metro back from the Eiffel Tower and to/from the Gare du Nord.

The room was a good size, clean and well-appointed, the bed was comfortable and bathrom was perfectly adequate. The only reason I gave the room 3 stars was that my room was on the first floor at the back of the hotel and hence was a little dark and had no view. However since I was only in my room to sleep I really wasn't too bothered. (In fact I suspect that I was given this room because I was travelling alone.)

The staff was helpful and polite. The breakfast was a rip-off but that seems to be standard in Parisian hotels. Skip it and got to a cafe or grab a cappuccino and pain au chocolat at Fauchon across the plaza. Or even get some supplies at Monoprix around the corner and eat in your room.

All in all this hotel would be top of my list when I return to Paris.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank boston_britt
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We were looking for a value in Paris (not easy with the dollar as weak as it is) without compromising location or comfort. Expedia found the deal and TripAdvisor confirmed the selection - we smiled the minute we walked into the room!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flyingsoul
Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I selected this hotel due to a colleague who I was travelling with.

I will agree with most that the location of the hotel is ideal; however, I'm sure there are better hotels within this price range only a few blocks away. On my next trip, however, I will return to the south west side of the 17th arrondissement (where I stayed on a previous trip).

I give an overall rating of three; however, if I was not able to change my room half-way through my trip, I would have given this hotel an overall rating of two. The first room I had was terrible – it was musty. You could smell the mildew as soon as you opened the door and the air conditioning did not work in this particular room (506). After suffering from severe allergies, I asked to be moved to a "newer" room that did not have mildew and a musty smell. The front desk seemed to be aware of the issue and was able to move me to a different room (206); unfortunately, this was only for my last night.

There are safes in the rooms; however, you need to rent them!

The breakfast is terrible for the price of 14 Euros! All that is offered are boiled eggs, croissants, bread, yogurt, juice, coffee and cheese (in plastic wrap – the kind you get on planes!). The dining area felt more like a pub. Other hotels in the area offer breakfast for 20 Euros… not only does this include white linens, but also coffees (Americano, espresso, cappuccino, etc.), juice, eggs (scramble, boiled), variety of chesses (not in plastic packaging), variety of sliced meats, bacon, sausage, yogurt, fresh fruit (strawberries, mango, pineapple, etc), croissants, breads, a variety jellies and jams, etc.

If you are to stay here:
(1) Request a room on floors 2-4
(2) Have breakfast elsewhere

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
7 Thank Bifford
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Back in 2008 we stayed at the hotel Opal, rue Tronchet, located not very far away from the hotel Madeleine Plaza but I wished we had stayed there back again because our experience in this Plaza hotel was terrible. We could only check-in late in the afternoon while reception desk told us it would be cleaned and available earlier, as a result we've lost time waiting the first day. Second problem was the room itself that I would not consider as 'cleaned' as it should have been. Above all, the arrogance and very unpleasant staff at the reception desk is the reason why we felt we had to submit this review to warn futur visitors. Stay away also form their airport shuttle offer, very expensive and we almost missed our flight! Next time, no doubt, we'll be happy to return to Hotel Opal because we love this area close to everything.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChristieandTravel
Sydney
Reviewed 27 April 2009

We had a queen suite with a bathroom off the bedroom. The room was nice and very roomy for Paris standards. Great views over Place de La Madeleine. Breakfast in the hotel is simple and a little expensive at 14 Euro, although it is buffet.

Hotel staff speak English very well. The service was adequate although do not expect 5 star service.

The real plus for this hotel is the location. Within walking distance all the Paris attractions, shopping, cafes etc. We would stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple