“Could be much better”
Review of London Hotel

London Hotel
Ranked #1,008 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This was the 4th or 5th time I stayed and this time I was really disappointed. Plus points first: The location is tops, close to the Galeries Lafayette and Printemps; close to the Opera Garnier and public transport. Restaurants all around. Room size is good and they keep the rooms very clean. Bathroom in the room I had was a good size and big for Paris. Staff is very helpful and friendly.
Minus points: The hotel lacks maintenance. The furniture is old and tired and so is the carpet. The curtains were hard to open and when one became undone, it stayed that way. The bed was hard and the lamps above the bed twisted any old way. The Internet pictures tell an old truth. The room I had certainly did not look this good. I will not be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Froglady9

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Best location you could have anywhere in Paris and at a great price.
2 mins from Metros & buses and Roissy airport bus 5 min walk.
2 mins from glorious opera house where the tango is danced outside by locals on Fr/Sat nights.
2 mins from fabulous Gallery Lafyette Store....do go up on the roof terrace!
Lovely staff, pleasant and spacious room by Paris standards with good shower.
Will book this every trip from now.
The buildings around the hotel are being renovated, and although we had no noise at all, probably a good idea to check when booking.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Be under no illusions, this hotel is basic. The location is good, if this is the part of Paris you want to stay in, but the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. Our room was not recently renovated - paint peeling, carpet grubby, tiles in bathroom broken. Baths have no shower curtain and only some of the baths had a shower that you could hang from the wall. However, it did appear clean. An empty bottle of Perrier remained in the corridor for two days before it was removed - amazing as the chamber maid would have had to trip over it to get down the corridor. The check in desk is basic in the extreme - we were not even asked for our passports - most unusual in Paris - just handed keys to our room -by a very badly dressed, unfriendly night porter (we arrived at 11p.m. ). Breakfast was adequate - coffee, croissants, bread, apples, orange juice and natural yoghurt. The breakfast room is by far the nicest room in the hotel so don't be misled by the pictures. I dealt with two of the guys behind the desk while I was there and to be fair they were very helpful - although shoddily dressed and badly turned out overall giving a bad overall impression of the hotel. It always intrigues me how photos of hotels on Tripadvisor are nothing like the reality - shows you the power of photoshopping ! I would not stay here again and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We paid €145 for a double room per night - Stay in the Marais / St. Germain district - much nicer and spend a bit more to get something a lot nicer.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202 and 203 at all costs !
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ann marie l
Reviewed 3 January 2013

In most aspects this is a great Hotel, the location is excellent for getting around Paris as the Opera Metro station is only a 2 minute walk away which is one of the main stations. Surrounded by luxury stores and some decent restaurants/cafe's.

We used the Hotel as a base for a sightseeing trip over new year (3 nights), the rooms are on the small side and the decor is either dated or poorly executed (they seem to have spent the budget on over sized TV's in every room). However the main problem we had was that the rooms didn't have in room safes which is a must in this day and age when people travel with expensive items, thankfully we managed without and didn't have any problems.

The room for breakfast is very well decorated and the continental breakfast was ok. The hotel was clean and the reception staff were really helpful.

In summary I would only stay here again if they had in room safes otherwise I would find somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank garyhey
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip. The hotel is in a lovely part of Paris, very convenient for RER and Metro and reasonably close to the centre of Paris. The rooms are reasonably spacious (for the centre of Paris) and are kept well. Breakfast is a little spartan, even for a continental breakfast.

What made the hotel for me were the staff. Everyone I dealt with during my stay was incredibly friendly and helpful. They couldn't do enough to help, never acted like it was anything other than a pleasure. As usual, I forgot (once again) to bring a UK/Ireland plug adapter with me and they gave me one - it's only a small thing but one that made my stay much better and one that larger and more expensive hotels frequently let me down on.

When I'm going to Paris for a holiday next time, I'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank markpb
Reviewed 3 August 2012

The Hotel is placed in the nearness of Opera square. The place is perfect to get to any place in Paris. The RoissyBus to CDG is quite near also. The location is the only good thing of this Hotel.
Several issues to improve. Internet is claimed as "free wifi" in the website. But when you arrive to the hotel, depends on your room, the floor, or even, if you have booked your room by agency or in Internet. Weird!.
The breakfast is just awful: just industrial croissants, stale bread, jam, butter, juice and coffee. Just that. It is better to have breakfast at the McDonalds that is close to the hotel.
The rooms furniture is old, the carpet smells like old, the corridors are occupied by additional beds, ... and the quality of sleeping is just bad. Even with conditioned air switched off, there is a continuous noise that does not allow you to correctly sleep. Bad, bad.
Next time, I would definitely not select this hotel. For sure.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jator-C
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The first part of my holiday in Paris, I've stayed about one week in hotel HELDER OPERA, very disappointed, as, it was very dirty, and I've seen many times a lots of MOUSE in the rooms and bathrooms. Which was a big nightmare for me, I've decided to change my hotel and I found London hotel which is just few minute walking distance of this disgusting hotel Helder.

I was sooooooooo pleased to find London hotel after one week of nightmare that I couldn't sleep because of the mouse and run-down building like waste disposal with yob/Hooligan director.

I've staid in London hotel for a few days in mid July 2012. And i really enjoyed the nice, sunny and large room No 110, with king size bed, a huge bathroom with jakousy bath. A real palace for just €105 per night/p, breakfast included. The hotel is completely renovated, refurbished, very clean, comfortable and brand new. Staff are very kind and polite, and supervisor is very attentive.

I'll return there shortly, I feel "at home". Very very good price for this location and standard of the hotel is very high. You can also negociate the price in function of the period of the year.

Room Tip: Upper floor, rooms in 5Th floor and 6Th floors have a nice scenery, 110 and some which are completel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo