“RAT in the hotel”

Ranked #870 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“RAT in the hotel”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

the room was fine, quite clean but small, usually in Paris rooms are not big (like US)
Unfortunately i meet a rat at the first floor, really bad experience
so, until the hotel will be clean deeply i strongly suggest to avoid the hotel

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank giorgio r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 day for a business meeting.
First of all, I'd like to say that all personnel was extremely helpful, friendly, polite and warm, from front desk to concierge to the people who took care of and attended to the business center. I can say it is the first time I see such an assistance to a company that's having a meeting at a hotel.
As some others have wrote, the hotel is a bit dated, but not so much to make you want to run away as soon as you enter!
Getting to the room, I was given room 112 on the fist floor and was very happy with it: it's spacious and quiet - I did not hear noises, apart from those of people walking in the room upstairs (but only in the morning...). The one thing I have to note is that the bathroom tiles were very dirty in one corner (see pictures), which was a bit disgusting.
The room service and the room maids were kind and quick. As you would expect from a 4 star hotel, maids pop in more than once a day to check that everything's alright and lovely chocolates are left on the bed each night.
I was not very satisfied with the wi-fi, though, as it was working ok close to the room door, but very poorly on the bedroom or at the desk. Also, if you chose the slow option which is free, you have to log in every 30 minutes...

Room Tip: I do not know about other rooms, but 112 on first floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank di-TABS
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My daughter & I stayed for a week in August, and found the front desk staff extremely rude. We had booked a non-smoking room with 2 beds, and when we checked in they had difficulty finding us a room, and tried to give us one double bed room. We objected and they gave us a room with two single beds. The hotel carpets are dated and very stained and worn. The room was dirty when we got there, the baseboard had dried liquid (maybe coke) splattered all over it beside the bed, and the toilet had not been flushed! Other than that, the food was great, the concierge was fantastic, and luckily we did not have the need for air conditioning. We opened up the windows wide at night, we where up on the seventh floor where there is a nice breeze.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better breeze from the windows at night
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Silly me left a pair of silver earrings in the bedside draw, contacted the hotel on arrival home, they had them but wanted thirty to forty Euro's to post them to me, liked them but not worth that much postage, finally got them down to 5 Euros and they arrived, bent, no padding at all and price of postage? 86 cents, so feel a bit annoyed to be honest. Liked the hotel and location, small room but clean and tidy and friendly. So, check the draws twice when checking out!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BunnyMummy2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed for 4 days, week commencing 14 October. The good points about this hotel were the location as it is very central, the breakfast buffet and the concierge who was helpful and pleasant. This is more than I can say for the front desk staff who were rude, dismissive and incredibly unwelcoming.

On arrival my 3rd floor double room stank of sewage as did much of the hallway. I let reception know and they said that they would move me if possible when I returned from meetings. When I checked at the front desk later, the evening receptionist informed myself and my colleague who had the same issue that we were in the same rooms as before. I went to the room and managed to surprise and scare the woman who was now in my room and not expecting anyone to walk in unannounced. When I informed the receptionist of this he was not bothered and offered no apology to me or the woman who had now called him to complain.

The new room I was given was small and the bed was lopsided on one side. On the plus side the room did not smell and I did have a kettle. The hotel I noticed reeked of sewage in parts which according to the receptionist is a part of living in Paris. Odd as I have never come across that problem when staying previously in Paris on numerous occasions over the years. The hotel was being decorated at the time which was needed as it looked tired and grubby in places.

The hotel gym is tiny (one x trainer, one bike, one stepper, a rower and one weights machine all within a room of approx 7ft by 8ft) and the equipment is not very good but it is always nice to have the option of a gym.

The breakfast buffet had a good selection and thankfully I never noticed the sewage smell then as mentioned on previous posts. The concierge was polite and very helpful when it came to restaurant recommendations. On checkout I was asked about my room change which I explained and again no word of an apology or acknowledgment that there was an issue with the rooms. They were exactly the same with my colleagues when they mentioned the rooms cleanliness and smell.

I wouldn't stay here again nor recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LimePickle2013
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hotel is situated on a side street close to many great shops and museums (5 min walk to Palace de concorde and the Jardin des Tuileries. It is a quaint hotel with old world charm, in a somewhat quiet location. However, this hotel is dated and dirty. I agree with other reviewers who questioned the overall cleanliness. The walls in my room were actually dirty and looked like there were remnants of food on them. The rug was filthy and I questioned whether to take my shoes off. The linens were clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was also clean.

While we were staying in the hotel, it was undergoing renovations. I believe they realized how dated the hotel was and they were ripping out the carpets and fixing the walls. Thus, the hotel smelled of epoxy glue and in my opinion, a sewer. We had a 3 day business meeting at the hotel and had breakfast and lunch in the main dining area, where some of this work was being done. It was hard to eat due to the foul smell emanating from the walls. When we asked the hotel staff about it, they said it was the plaster. Some of my colleagues couldn't even remain in the dining room because the smell was so foul.

The one positive review that I can give is the food was actually quite good. We ate breakfast and lunch in the hotel and the food and service were solid.

I do believe that this hotel has so much potential but it needs a major update. You would be better off staying somewhere else. We heard several guests complaining about the accommodations.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Grace G
Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

The Hotel Astor Saint-Honore was definitely not the highlight of my trip. The location was down a side street that looked deserted. Although the concierges and the bartenders were very helpful and friendly, the front desk staff were just the opposite. The overall cleanliness of the hotel was questionable. The furniture and curtains were dusty and stained. There was mold in the bathrooms, stained and worn carpet in the rooms and hallways, and NO AIR CONDITIONER! We had to ask for a fan because the rooms were so hot. The person at the front desk told us the central air was broken and would be fixed the next day. Well after two days and no air, we were informed by another person that the air was turned off for the Fall months starting in September. It was still almost 80 degrees! Also, the elevators were small and I only noticed one for the whole hotel. Only 2 people with luggage could fit at one time, maybe 3
without luggage. The only good point about this hotel was the breakfast. It was served in a well appointed dining room and the choices were plentiful. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013