“Boutique Gem”

Ranked #851 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
East Coast
“Boutique Gem”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is well appointed, beautiful lobby, excellent restaurant and classy bar. High service standards. Very well located. You can walk to many attractions.My room was very good, perhaps a trifle small by U.S. standards, but nicely done. The hotel is a little pricy, but sometimes a splurge is good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights. Using the internet you needed to sign in with your room number. I found entertainment web sites were blocked and when I checked out I was hit with a 47 euro bill as I picked the daily rate.
Concerning the room, the TV had 99 international channels, at least 10 in English. The wardrobe had many hangers and wonderful light over the sink. The shower had good water pressure. Breakfast was good but the layout took some getting used to as the cereal & fruit is in different place from the bowls; the same thing for juice vs. glasses and bread vs. plates.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank e10750law
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Pros: Safe area, very close to embassies and the English Church. Quite at night.
Cons: Decor tired. Service in general, record keeping and replacement of complimentary water, gel etc. And for the wifi to be actually free.
Location: Not lots of tourist things on the doorstep, but a short walk to most. Good business location.
The positives: nice area (business area rather than tourist), reasonable sized rooms for Paris, bed very comfortable and lovely clean crisp sheets. I am very willing to forgive the poor airconditioning given the age of the building. However, the 'free wifi' was limited to 30 mins per day - not so good if you want to look up places to go, let alone work! Very disappointing. Not replacing the complimentary water, nor the bathroom shower gel was stingy in my opinion. Finally when we checked out, we were suddenly told that we hadn't paid! When I produced an on-line statement with all the relevant details, I was made to wait for 15 mins for a receptionist to return, only to be told that I would then have to wait for a manager to discuss this matter. After waiting some more, when I pointed out that I was in danger of missing my travel connections home, was it finally accepted that we had paid. No 'sorry', just a dismissive shrug. Overall expensive for what it was, and the humiliating ending means that I would certainly not go back again.

Room Tip: Not this hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ali W
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Many can point you in the direction of sights, restaurants of your choosing, arrange transport etc. which is very helpful. My stay at the beginning of May 2014 met with a serious dental problem. Within 30 minutes I was at an excellent practice being treated. Guide books can help us plan most of our trip. But a foreign country, an illness...well to me that's when you REALLY need help and quickly. This was just one instance. I have stayed at L'Astor many times, many hotels in many countries. The Concierge at this hotel is without doubt the best that has ever helped me with all those problems or questions that arise.

...and the hotel is in a quiet street in the fashionable 8th Ar, recently updated with a great restaurant, typically French in style. I couldn't ask for more. A great base for your Paris trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EDWARD T
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I and my traveling companion really loved our stay here. It Ws the first time is been to Paris. I have to say, the room is typical Parisienne decor but that's what we liked about it. The cleanliness was exceptional. I enjoyed the morning continental spread, an assortment of fresh croissant, jams, cheese and meat. Very tasty! The customer service could improve, the receptionist was a bit too stand -off -ish in my experience. Most young professionals speak English, so I don't understand the hesitation to communicate. However, the manager stepped in and made us all feel comfortable. Even directing us to the metro in walking distance. All in all, this is one place that I will return. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Andrea K
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

A beautiful authentic Parisian style hotel. The location is well centered, the staff, are extremely courteous and the room that we had with a balcony overlooking Paris, simply wow, an experience worth living. By the way I suggested the buffet breakfast, you must try it at least once, the smoke salmon, croissants, etc.

I will be returning, and recommended it to all travelers looking to enjoy Paris the way it was meant to be!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I booked a room on the hotel website and few days before going, I asked the hotel to let my girlfriend in before my arrival, since we didn't get to paris at the same time.
When she arrived they asked for her credit card. This is unacceptably impolite and out of my request, they should have waited for me.
When I arrived by car, a guy took my luggage and left it in the hall, without bringing it to my room and showing the way.

I had reserved a standard room, I slept there only one night. The room was too small, the view was on the skylight well. The bed was not even for two, it was a three quarter bed. The bathroom was microscopic, the shower half broken and the decorations were ruined.
The room service incredibly expensive.

But the worse still has to come: after I left, I realised my jacket was in the wardrobe. I sent an email and they said not to have found anything. This is impossible, someone must have stolen it, or they didn't feel like working.

To sum up: I would not advise this place to anyone, on the website it seems to be nice and welcoming: it's not, not at all.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Karl V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Hilton Paris Opera
Hotel Royal Saint-Honore
#181 of 1,797 in Paris
Hotel Elysees 8
#309 of 1,797 in Paris

Been to Hotel Astor Saint-Honore? Share your experiences!