“Undiscovered gem”
Review of Victoria Palace

Victoria Palace
Ranked #277 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Been back 3 times not and LOVE it.Montparnasse if that bit away from the centre and has a character of its own. The decor is immaculate and no matter how many guests, the material wallpaper means it it peaceful. The rooms are beautiful, very art deco. James Joyce and Katherine Mansfield stayed and wrote here among others. It's family owned still and the staff can't do enough to help. They provided late breakfast in room at no extra cost and generally went out of their way to assist. It's not a place for wild parties, but plenty of bars and restaurants a few minutes away. Victoria Palace is a 1930's style haven and far and away my favourite hotel in Paris.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Billymyb0y

Reviewed 8 March 2012

We booked a junior suite for 4 nights,to attend the Ireland v France rugby international,On our first night we went for a meal in the latin quarter,arrived back at the hotel at 11.30 .As there was nobody at the bar we asked the night porter if we could have a night cap,he served us a gin and tonic and a whiskey and coke.(thirty euros twenty cents).During my 4 night stay,I only ever seen one other person at the bar.I wonder why.The next afternoon the housekeeper appeared in my room unannounced while I was watching tv,she apologised and left.A few minutes later I recieved a phone call from the manager advising me that this was a non smoking hotel,and a charge of 250 euros would be charged if we smoked in the room.I asked him why he was making this phone call and he advised me that his house keeper had smelt smoke in the room.I advised him that nobody had smoked in the room.I immediately went down to reception to confront the manager,once again I told him nobody had smoked in his room.I explained that 4 weeks previous I had been diagnosed with a lung condition that needed surgery and had immediately given up smoking.The last thing I needed was for a pretensious manager to complain about the smell of smoke in my room. My wife was totally incensed and wanted to leave the hotel,but unfortunately we had prepaid for our suite.The management of this hotel ruined our trip to Paris

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Roy B
Reviewed 21 February 2012

AWESOME place! We LOVED staying here! Not much to look at from the outside, but everything inside was just wonderful! The staff was very personable. We had a king-bed junior suite. It was beautiful! Great space and very nice bathroom. There was no noise at night. We took a taxi to all the site we visited, and walked to restaurants that were close to the hotel.
A very romantic place! Well worth the price!

Check it out at www.victoriapalace.com

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DebArtist
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Close to 3 metro stops; good shopping; quiet; about one hundred euros cheaper than hotels nearer to the Seine. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank OrangeApple65
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I've stayed at the Victoria Palace Hotel many times over several years, but after my last visit I will never stay there again. On this last visit we arrived early and had to leave our bags with the porter until our room was ready. Later, when unpacking I discovered that 145 euros had gone missing from my luggage. It is true that it could have been taken while we were travelling but this is actually very unlikely, and it seems to me much more likely that the money was taken during the only time that it wasn't by my side. When I reported this to the hotel reception staff their manner was relative indifference. They simply told me that I needed to report it to the police. And that as far as they were concerned was the end of the matter. They couldn't brush us off fast enough. They offered no assistance even in terms of telling us where the police station was or help with translation for the police (my french wasn't going to manage this one). There was absolutely no concern or goodwill for us even as regular guests. When I wrote to the manager about this after our say his reply just proved how far he and his staff didn't get the concept of customer service or goodwill.
Also, the decor in the hotel is beginning to show a lack of attention, which is not good in a hotel of this standard. On our last stay, our room had bad water staining on the ceiling and attempts to rejuvenate the furnishings are starting to look sadly institutional.
I might have recommended this hotel, but after my last experience they showed how lacking they are when it mattered.

Room Tip: junior suites are very spacoius
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank AndrrewB
VictoriaPalaceHotel, Responsable commercial at Victoria Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Any hôtelier who has seen the film 'Midnight in Paris' will have had a thrill of recognition when viewing the scene in which, an hotel guest takes a pair of earrings from his fiancée to give to his new found love ; when the eearring's owner notices that they are missing, her mother immediately blames the chambermaid and exclaims "It's ALWAYS the maid!".
Sadly, this is the reaction of many hotel guests when they notice that something has gone missing from his/her luggage or room. In my thirty years in the hotel business, I have heard it several times, but so far have never seen it verified. Of course, it could happen and we must take any such claims very seriously. But one must also allow for the possibility that the guest may be mistaken, for example when the jewellery or i-pod that the guest was absolutely certain had been in her luggage turns up in a desk drawer at home, which it had never left. Or when the guest is trying to cover up some other, personal lapse, such as the expensive watch stolen from the night-stand when the guest returned to the hotel late at night accompanied by someone he or she had just met in a bar. Is one ever quite certain that the new-found love one has invited on a naughty week-end is completely trustworthy? Or has one's teen-age daughter spent too much of her pocket-money and taken a short-cut to mummy's pocket-book in order to make up the shortfall? As an hotelier, we have the moral and legal obligation both to our clients and to our staff to remain absolutely impartial when such claims are made and allow for all possible explanations. Not that we doubt the sincerity of the client, but in the stress of noticiing that something has disappeared, a client's judgement and memory may not be as reliable as he or she thinks. And we do have to allow for the (rare) possibility that sometimes a client may be trying to put a fast one over on us.
In the present case, the client reported that money had disappeared from the luggage he had entrusted to us upon his arrival and although in his review he now acknowledges the possibility that it might have been stolen at some point in transit (although he remains convinced it was not based on... his feeling), at the time he was quite adamant that the theft had occurred in the hotel. Any luggage entrusted to us kept in a locked room, until the client's room is ready at which point it is transferred to the guest room. Both the luggage room and the guest rooms are equipped with electronic locks that keep a record of when they are opened and by whose key. This allows us to verify whether there have been any suspicious openings. Beyond ascertaining which staff-members were on duty and that there were no unauthorised entries into either the luggage room or the guest-room, there was nothing we could do other than request urge the guest to file a complaint at the local police station enabling them to investigate. Theft is a police matter ; as a private business we do not have the legal authority to interrogate our staff, nor de we have the skills to check the client's luggage for fingerprints, etc.
We do tend to trust our staff : most of them have worked with us for a long time and many clients are unbelievably careless when it comes to leaving cash, jewellery and expensive electronic gizmos strewn all over their rooms, instead of putting them in the safe we provide in each room. If there was a thief in our midst, he or she would have a field day! Still, one can never know and therefore we would have welcomed a police inquiry that would have allowed a proper and thorough investigation in the hopes that it would either identify the thief and allow us to take appropriate legal action, or lift any suspicions the client had. Sadly the client seemed to make a personal issue of this, taking offence at our unwillingness to give unquestioning credence to his allegation. Exactly what course of action would have pleased him is unclear. Sack the entire staff on duty that day? Dip into the till and start handing out banknotes with apologies? The client had just arrived in Paris so was not rushing to catch a train or a flight ; the police station is about a five-minute walk from the hotel and we would have been delighted to show him where it was if he had not stalked off in high dudgeon. He says he felt his French would have been inadequate to filing a report, but contrary to what he seems to believe, the French police are not uneducated oafs, they do go to school and many of them have enough English to understand when someone says they think they have been robbed. If he had only been willing to set the legal wheel in motion by taking the time to file a complaint, we should have been very happy to provide the police with any and all information at our disposal, in everyone's interest.
I must disagree when the client says that directing him to to the police was a failing in customer relations : it was the only course of action open to us in keeping with our legal responsibilites both to the client and to our staff. I am sorry he could not understand this.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We took the kids over Thanksgiving and had a great stay at this hotel. We had two adjoining rooms. The location is not the best - its not like you can walk down the street and go to the Louvre but the staff makes up for it. They are great about getting you anywhere. Get the public transportation pass and you are good to go. We went on the metro, buses and the train to Versaille. The public transportation was clean and inexpensive. There are some good restaurants close by. Our facorite was a Steak Frites place two blocks away. We ate there 2 out of the 4 nights we were there. The staff can direct you there - you just tell them how you like your steak and go from there. Breakfast at the hotel was included in our rate - it was very good with plenty to chose from including delicious chocolate coissants and hot chocolate for the kids.
Overall very nice hotel with great staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Travelin4Fun704
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This was my first family trip to France. We still cannot stop talking about this hotel even months after the trip. This hotel is perfect. The quiet location cant be beat. I could go on and on. The breakfast was quite simply awesome. The staff here is so accommodating and nice. The rooms were large and clean. The bathroom was beautiful. The tolietries in the bathroom were top notch and the display was done so elegantly.

Room Tip: The rooms not facing the street are the quietest.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family