“Great hotel, not so great location”

Villa Lutece Port Royal
Ranked #752 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and i stayed here for 3 nights, the hotel itself is really nice, the room was great no complaints what so ever except the area its in isnt very nice, the metro (line 5) isnt stoping at the 3 stations closest to the hotel till end of august 2013, so we walked back one night, some guy followed us for a few minutes then passed us waited 5m infront of us then as we passed started following us directly behind us and shouted at us, we also had problems with drunks/homeless on the main road next to the hotel, so i might advise getting taxis to the hotel, especially at night and while the metro is still not working

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Gareth J
Sébastien D, Responsable relations publiques at Villa Lutece Port Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and its service. As you have noticed some stations on line 5 are closed until the 31st of august, but they have organised some buses to deserve them. These buses are running every 5 minutes from one station to the other. Our Hotel is also deserved by line 6 which takes you right to the center of the city in 15 minutes (Eiffel Tower). The area around the hotel is safe and we never experienced any complaint as far as safety is concerned. We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in our property very soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This was my first trip to Europe. I had business at an outfit at Place d'Italie so our event planner could only find this place with the short notice we had. This was about a 15min walk up Boulevard L'Hopital. The initial impression was a tidal wave of opulence and poshness. Though after about 5min one realizes it is small, though it has been clearly refurbished and well maintained.
My actual room was fairly small. The entry door could not open the entire arch due to it hitting the bed. The bathroom door had the same characteristic. Once inside the actual room and the doors closed – it was a tight fit, but had enough room to store stuff and move around. The room was equipped w/ a mini fridge/mini bar, hair dryer (w/ a 120V adapter – bonus!), tv – don’t know much about French tv but seemed like an adequate selection – mainly background noise for me. For an older building I thought there were plenty of outlets. The wifi worked fine with both my laptop and my phone.
There is a small park/garden (dedicated to Louis Armstrong) directly in front of Villa Lutece Port Royal and I saw the benches that were mentioned by another Trip Advisor member who winded up sleeping on b/c there no one at the front desk to let him in at approx. 12midnight. This always gave me a moment of trepidation as the hotel’s policy is to have you leave your key when you go out. Fortunately this experience did not happen, but I can easily visualize it.
Since this was a business trip I had the breakfast for 4days. It consisted of scrambled eggs, cold ham and salami, juice, cold cereal, coffee, croissants and such all for 14.50 Euro. That’s a steep price for breakfast and if I had been there on leisure I’d have probably ventured out and found other options. It was basically a continental breakfast like I’ve had at a Fairfield Inn (minus the waffles).
On my own time, I hoofed it down to Place d’Italie to catch metros to: the Eiffel Tower; The Louvre (did not go in – walked from there to the Arch de Triomphe, caught the metro back from the Arch; and to Norte Dame – perhaps the most complex metro trip from Place d’Italie (but still fairly reasonable). So I thought this hotel was a decent local to get to the ‘meat’ of Paris. There were probably closer metro stations but I used what I was familiar with. I also was please that it was w/in walking distance to the Gare du Lyon, which I had a bullet train to the Provence. Though, I had one bag that doubles as a carry-on and a backpack. One could probably pull larger luggage there but it would be rougher than inside an airport terminal – but achievable.
On checkout there was some confusion about the breakfast bill. I thought it had been included in the room rate. They said it was not, so I decided to simply pay it and settle up with my employer afterward. In the confusion, the front desk lady charged me for the entire stay. So she went about refunding my credit card, and then had to get some help. Then they both answered phones and it seemed like they droned on and on ( I did have a train to catch, but I didn’t say anything as I didn’t want to motivate them to go any slower). Finally they refunded me the room charge, and the mgr(?) comped me the breakfast for my wait. I thought that was a nice gesture, but sort of empty until I returned to work and clarified that breakfast had not been included – so a sincere nice gesture.
Overall, I thought it was a nice room/hotel. Though for $375/ night it could have been more attention to detail in the overall hotel. I’ve never been to Paris, so I have no sense of scale as what to pay for what. The location was great, as far as getting around to the major sights, and to get into or out of Paris via train. Place d’Itaie has plenty of cafes to eat at, there’s even a mall there and a Carefour store (some kind of grocery/department store) in the basement. I did see some bums/drunks in the Louis Armstrong Park, but I did see some at Place d’Italie too – in fact I saw some pretty much everywhere. It is a city of 10M, so you’re going to see some. They never bothered me and I never felt threatened either.

I would have rated it 4 stars, but at $375.00/night I think the cost must be considered. Honestly, I've stayed at $100.00/night places that were just as nice or nicer. Granted none of those were in Paris, so I again state I have no sense of scale. Neverthelss, it seemed very expensive. I would stay here again, but on my own dime I would shop around.

Room Tip: There’s a store front vending machine on Boulevard L'Hopital in case you need a snack or someth...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Visited this hotel between 30.6.13 & 4.7.13. Situated near a metro Campio Furmo but between 1.7.13 & 30.8.2013 the metro line is shut for essential repairs. Nightmare but there is a replacement bus service. To be fair the walk up from place di italia is not far but with luggage would be a nightmare. The area is run down to be nice. Lots of vagrants drinking on benches. The hotel itself was clean and staff very helpful. Would I stay here again? Probably not but only because of the area not because of the hotel or staff.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank KATE j
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We chose this hotel because the location was just right for us. We arrived at the Gare du Nord from London and needed to be near Gare d'Austerlitz which was convenient for getting to the Roland Garros tennis tournament and also for travelling to central France. We stayed for 4 nights and the reception staff were good and helpful. We have had many breakfasts in Paris and this one was average and fairly expensive. We were not in the hotel much during the day but it was warm and welcoming in the lounge area in the evening and we had our own 'nightcap' there as, although there was a bar, this was not staffed, and having ordered wine and it not being served, we started to bring in our own drinks, using the wine glasses provided in the room, and nobody seemed to mind or notice. There didn't seem to be many staff on duty.
The room was quite adequate and had everything we needed although we cannot comment on the Wifi or the t.v. as we didn't use either. Neither did we try the air conditioning as we had the window open at night as it was a quiet area. We used the mini bar fridge for our own drinks. The lift was surprisingly large for a Paris hotel. We have stayed in many hotels in Paris and we would recommend this one if you need to be in this area. We would stay again.
One word of caution - on the first night we had a meal at the restaurant on the corner of the main road nearest to the hotel. The food was good but we did check the bill and two extra puddings had been added which we had not had. It may well have been a genuine mistake but it's as well to check your bills. All the restaurants we tried in the area were good with pleasant staff.

Room Tip: We stayed with friends. We had a room at the back, theirs was at the front. Both rooms were on the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suki504
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My partner and I recently stayed for one night in the Villa Lutece Port Royal hotel and it was very good. The decor is opulent and in your face - which we liked! The staff were very friendly and the room was a good size. We didn't have breakfast because we had an early start to catch a train the next day. The hotel is ideally placed for the Gare du Lyon, Place d'Italie and Rue Mouffetard and I would definitely recommend it. The only downsides I could see were not much choice of tv channels on the room tv and also the room got very hot and adjusting the air conditioning didn't seem to make any difference.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sébastien D, Manager at Villa Lutece Port Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you very much for your comments. It is a pleasure for our team to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the time of your stay, and because of the terrible weather we had in Paris, our air conditioning was off. But of course now it is on and our rooms are nice and cool for the summer. We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The location is good and the hotel is clean and cute. The WiFi, when it works, is only accessible in the lobby. We had breakfast one day and you should avoid this. It is all you can eat, but doesn't offer many options and it was terribly expensive. We paid €47 for 2 people for 1 breakfast. It was not worth half that price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front building, maybe you will have some WiFi in your room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Sébastien D, Manager at Villa Lutece Port Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We work hard to improve our services and therefore all the information you give us is very helpful.
We will do our best to improve our buffet breakfast which is charged 14€50 per person and we hope that you will have a chance to come and stay with us again to notice the improvement.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

This was a pretty hotel, with mostly very helpful and friendly staff! The room was very nice, but the minibar was very expensive, so dont have it. Te location is fantastic.on the direct line to Gare Du nord and near teh RER C which means you can reach the Eiffel Tower or Versaiiles very easily.

There are many cafes / supermarkets nearby and we became regulars at the cafe on the corner nearest the hotel. There are excellent boulangeries everywhere, so I advise you get a fresh baguette / pain au chocolat and a fresh coffee from the café.. and you will experience the real french atmosphere at the fraction of a cost of the breakfast at the hotel

The hotel though is to be thoroughly recommended and I would stay again if I had a chance!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Sébastien D, Manager at Villa Lutece Port Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments and recommendation to other travelers. We work very hard with the team to ensure that our guests have the most enjoyable stay in Paris.
We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again soon,
Kind regards