“A mixed bag, but mostly good”

Libertel Austerlitz Jardin des Plantes
Ranked #788 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel has the potential to be great, but my stay was a mixed bag. I think it would be easiest to do a pros and cons review.

Pros:
1) Gare Austerlitz is literally across the street, and a metro entrance is on the same block as the hotel. VERY convenient for using the metro, Austerlitz has good connections (the 5 and 10 lines).
2) a good selection of cafes on the block, and a FABULOUS artisan boulangerie right next to the police station. Plus, Jardin des Plantes is literally 1 block away.
3) the rate was great, especially considering the location of the hotel
4) the breakfast included in my rate was quality and the gentleman that oversees the breakfast room was always extremely friendly and kept everything tidy and restocked.
5) my room, 509, seemed recently remodeled and the bed was very nice (queen with a down comforter) even though I had a small single room. The air conditioning worked miracles, which was excellent because there was a small heatwave while I was there.

And now, the cons.
1) the shower was the smallest, most awkward shower I have ever been in in my life. It was literally about 3' x 3', which would have been managable except that the faucet knob jutted out in the middle of the back wall by about 6", and the "door" was only a little shower curtain. This meant essentially that it was impossible to turn around in the shower without either getting the curtain stuck to me (it billows inwards), bumping into the shower curtain and having water go all over the bathroom floor, or moving the knob on/off/hot/cold.
2) I stayed 4 nights and housekeeping was nonexistent half of my stay. I arrived to a clean and made up room, which was lovely. Day 2, my room was also cleaned. Day 3, my room was not touched despite the fact that I had purposefully left the sign on my doorknob that said to please tidy the room. Day 4, it was also not touched. At 2p on day four, I went to reception and brought this to the attention of the woman working. She apologized and assured me she would have someone come to the room that day. At 6p that night, she came to the room to "check the electricity" (no further explanation, which was very odd) and saw that it STILL had not been cleaned, but said nothing and sent no one to the room. It's not like the room was a huge mess, but I did have garbage that needed to be taken and good customer service should have dictated that somebody see to my room particularly after I brought it up to the front desk staff.

Overall, I had a good stay. Would I stay at this hotel next time? I would consider it, but would opt for a different room (as long as the shower was better) and would apparently have to be more adamant that housekeeping take care of my room than I was.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EricaBee

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We know from experience how small hotel rooms are in Paris, so we booked the 'privileged delux' room, hoping for a bit more space. It was not to be. The room was tiny, with nowhere to put luggage and no space for bedside tables. However, it was clean and smart-looking and the bed was comfortable. The location is good, close to the Austerlitz station (which was why we chose this hotel), a short stroll to the Jardin des Plantes and a longer walk along the banks of the Seine to Notre Dame.

Unfortunately our room faced the street and the noise overnight was significant. There is a police station a few doors down and a hospital a little further, hence the sleep-interrupting sound of sirens throughout the night. The saving grace was that there was airconditioning, which allowed us to close our window without stifling. That cut out some, but not all of the noise.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights as he got the trip to Paris as a gift. For us, the hotel was not what we expected at all and we were left quite disappointed. We stayed in room 405 for the first 2 nights, and on the final night we were moved to room 407 after complaining. There were good and bad points about the hotel, so I shall list the pros and cons below;

Pros:
- Good location, opposite Gare du Austerlitz so easy metro access. The hotel is also on a nice strip of cute restaurants.

- Clean and tidy room.

- Close to Jardin de Plantes and a McDonalds

- The windows were very good at keeping out street noise

- Tea, coffee facilities and a little chocolate per person

- Luggage storage after check outi

Cons:

- Our air conditioning unit leaked constantly throughout our stay, loudly dripping all day and all night, so our carpet was completely soaked through. We mentioned this to the receptionist on our first night and were told they would take a look at it and get back to us, they never got back to us.

- The 'free unlimited' wifi stopped working after the first night, the whole system was down for the rest of our stay.

- The TV, hair dryer and kettle also stopped working after the first night.

- The pictures of the room on the website were very deceiving, we were under the impression the room was a lot bigger than it was. On the last night we were moved into a bigger room, and this was the room size we had expected from the start.

- The website states that bath robes and slippers would be provided, these weren't in our room when we arrived, so we asked the receptionist. The receptionist had no idea what we were talking about.

- The seal in the shower door had become loose, so our shower leaked onto the bathroom floor and we had to use all of our towels to soak this up.

Overall, I think our stay was disappointing mainly because the website had given us the impression that the hotel was something different to what it actually was. We both agreed that the hotel definitely was not worth the money we had spent, and in comparison to UK hotels, we would have rather stayed in a Premier Inn, which can be booked for £29 a night if far enough in advance!

If I was to return to Paris again, I would not return to this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Chloe B
Reviewed 18 July 2014

A truly boutique hotel, my 'cosy' room was just that but OK for an overnighter. My travel agent had me believe that my train for Limoges left from the station over the road from the hotel, it didn't so I had a 20 minute bus ride to Montparnasse. The tariff did not include breakfast & I found it a tad expensive for what it offered. It was however handy to several eateries, the Jardin des Plantes & a mini-mart & despite being on a very busy road, the traffic noise was non existent when the window was closed.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the main road, the bed was comfy, the shower & vanity were cramped as was the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

In my view the best aspects about the hotel Libertel Austerlitz Jardin des Plantes are:
The location
- Very close to the Jardin des Plantes where there are some very interesting museums and a nice zoo.
-Very close to the Gare d' Austerlitz metro station therefore quite easy to access the attractions in the centre of Paris. OK you will have to figure out how to navigate the Paris Metro but it is not too difficult.
The staff of the hotel are quite helpful which makes a stay in a hotel a lot easier.
There are quite a lot of reasonable restaurants within less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel and that is quite important because the hotel restaurant is only open for breakfast.
Another reasonable aspect of the hotel was the free WIFI, OK after 4 hours of usage you need to relogin to the WIFI network but it is very easy to relogin
The not so good aspects of the hotel are
- The size of the room that my wife and I stayed in.
The room was very, very small and another not so nice aspect was the location of the bathroom which was separated from the tiny room by a sliding door (that did not close properly, a small gap was left between the sliding door and the wall.
- If stayin in a room facing the main road then it is quite noisy lots of Police cars and Ambulances activating sirens ad noise from the Gare d' Austerlitz metro station.
When or if I return to Paris for a visit I would re-consider staying at the hotel again unless of course I could find a better/cheaper hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raffi_Nachshol
Pierre B, Directeur général at Libertel Austerlitz Jardin des Plantes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Raffi_Nachshol,

Thank you for your post on Tripadvisor.
We have taken account of your comment about the room. It will help us to provide the best service to our guest.
If you are not satisfied by the hotel Libertel Austerlitz Jardin des Plantes, we have 4 more hotels in the heart of Paris with bigger rooms and all renovated too.

Do no hesitate to conctact us for more information.

Yours sincerely,

M. Pierre BURIGNAT
Executive Director
Libertel Austerlitz - Jardin des plantes

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Yes - my room is so small I have to put my suitcase on the desk. But so what? It's a sweet little room with a private bath and a beautiful window overlooking a beautiful courtyard in an excellent location. Loved my stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2014

If you are a tourist who will be out most of the day and need a no frills hotel room just to sleep than this is the place for you. I stayed in a privileged room, the matrimonial bed was a good size, soft with nice sheets and comfy pillows. Even if the hotel is along the main street, the windows are thick enough not to hear any noise. The room was always cleaned very well. The shower was a good size and the room came with bathing robes for each. The receptionist were very friendly, efficient and willing to provide information. Excellent position for transportation, the train station and metro just in front of the hotel and walking distance of 10 minutes along the river seine to Notredame. I travelled alone with my teenage daughter and felt safe coming home at night by foot.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 107