“Convenient and clean”

Libertel Gare du Nord Suede
Ranked #408 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 29 July 2014

A little tricky to find if you get off on the wrong end of the Gare du Nord station but just ask one of the locals and they're happy to direct you to Blvd de Magenta. Checking in was easy and the receptionist very accommodating and welcoming. Small elevator and hall ways but its Paris/Europe so we were prepared. Immaculately clean room, very small but its good for a base to explore Paris. Lots of places to eat within 3min walk, Gare du Nord 5min walk or less. Good places to have a drink as well. Definitely recommended if you're on a budget but want a clean place to stay. Breakfast buffet is quite good too as well as the free WiFi and good air-con.

Room Tip: One of the inner rooms, not facing the Blvd de Magenta as it can get a little noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Very friendly staf ,clean ,perfect location,food fresh.recomendit to anyone ho want visit Paris. Defenetly stay in this hotel next time. Near hotel is perfect italian restoran whis amazing food. Very good price.

Room Tip: comfort or family room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank masiania61
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

This is a typical Paris hotel, small but with everything we needed. It's extremely close to Gare du Nord, probably five minute walk at most, which is very convenient if taking Eurostar. There are a number of neat little places to eat in the neighborhood, and it's a quick Metro ride to pretty much anywhere you'd like to go. We did have a standard room, and I do emphasize this was a very small room. Great for the normal tourists who are out exploring all day, but probably not a good fit if you're staying in the room for any real amount of time. Staff are nice and English is perfect. We did not have breakfast.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BattlegroundTravel
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Having read some of the negative reviews I had to think long and hard before booking at this hotel and I am glad I did. I booked directly with the property so I secured a prepay which included breakfast. Most reviewers are correct. Do not pay for breakfast as you can go elsewhere, for less. My rate included breakfast and it was quite nice. Having been to Paris before I already knew most hotels of this type would offer small rooms. My trip was for 6 nights. I booked a Club room, requesting something away from the street. I was put in room 511, back of the property and as quiet as one could hope for. This room comes with a small safe, small closet with space on the top and bottom for storage, 4 wall hooks along the corridor, bathrobe and slippers,small fridge/mini bar, coffee/tea maker and loads of power ports.My friend booked in their Konfort room. No way could 2 people stay in this room for more than one night.

If you are a city person or have travelled to major cities, the neighborhood should not bother you one bit. It is a busy street in a colorful, working class urban area. It was no different than being in London or the West Village of New York. There is a small market right downstairs where you can purchase your snacks, beverages, etc. Gare d'lest is right across the street and Gare du Nord is a 5 minute walk away. This made for a super easy commute to/from CDG.

Wifi was great during the week but on the weekend it became near impossible to connect from my room. I could only connect from the lobby and the lounge area.

Staff were excellent. Most of my dealings were with Alexander and he was just fantastique. I would definitely book here again on my return trip.

Room Tip: pay for Club room and request high floor, away from the street. Great pizzeria a few doors down. S...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was a ery pleasant small hotel in a good location. The Metro was a 5 minute walk away. The room was small but adequate. The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having arrived on an early Eurostar about 10.30 am we were amazed when we asked if the hotel could store our luggage to be told we could check in immediately and use the room. BUT we then found out that although we had booked a twin room the hotel in their wisdom had allocated us a double thinking we must be a couple as our surnames were the same. I pointed out we were mother and son but the young man insisted that there were no other rooms available. Odd that as we passed empty twin rooms that were being made up as we went to our room!
The room was tiny but clean. It had hanging space, small table , TV and complimentary tea/coffee making tray. About 1ft from the side of the bed was a VERY STIFF sliding door (that I considered dangerous for a single traveller) to what I first thought was a wardrobe. To my surprise it was the shower/ toilet. It was lucky we were both slim although anyone vertically challenged will catch their knees on the bulky sink while using the loo. One positive, the hot water was available when we were there and the air conditioning was appreciated as it was a hot weekend. The room was at the back of the hotel with a novel but interesting view over the rooftops. Black out curtains were great and it was quiet.
In general the public spaces and lift in the hotel were small and soulless but functional. We did not use the dining room that seemed to be in the basement. When we checked out my son had a query regarding his pre paid card payment that meant he had to call his card issuer to check why the hotel were insisting on taking payment again. This was resolved by the card issuer speaking to the young man on reception.
As the weather was inclement and we did not want to travel home soaked the hotel staff were quite happy for us to sit in their small reception area for a while before a break in the weather meant we could set off for the station that was luckily close by.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed small. OK for a weekend but not comfortable enough for a longer stay.. I felt...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Quick summary: a small, well-kept room that does the job if you want to catch a train from Gare du Nord. Many cafes around, but you probably want to be more centrally located if spending a lot of time in Paris. No hot water one night.

My review is based on what I expect of a 2-star hotel, not a luxury property.

We stayed one night as we wanted to catch a train from Gare du Nord the next morning, a short walk. Room 601 is a small room with comfortable twin beds. The room was quiet, even though it directly overlooked the Blvd. Magenta.

Smallish bathroom but with good counter space to hold personal toiletries and a pretty good-sized shower. Towels are small and cheap, but do the job. As I detail below, there was no hot water throughout the night we stayed, nor into some of the morning.

Storage is adequate but minimal. As I'm sure with many guests, we did not unpack much for one night.

The hotel is a mix of amenities, and no-frills.

Amenities: free wifi works well; coffee/tea maker; newspapers in the lobby (thank you for the International New York Times!)

Not included: facial tissues, room safe, etc. with an extra charge. Like many design-on-a-budget hotels, open shelving for clothes

Management issues: I'm almost willing to give the hotel a pass when the hot water goes out -- stuff happens. But still -- since many (most?) guests stay here for one night with the expectation of getting a train the next morning, this should be a critical quality factor, with emergency stand-by. We complained the night before we left, but I heard other guests complaining in the morning, and still there was no hot water when we left for breakfast at a cafe (breakfast here is 12 euro - we wanted something smaller.)

Yet more issues:

When we checked out, the clerk asked whether we anted euros or dollars. We only do euros as our credit cards have no foreign exchange fees. However, she hit the "dollars" button, then claimed we said dollars. No, we never say dollars -- you jumped the gun, assuming Americans want dollars. But then -- we asked that she cancel the transaction, and re-bill it in euros. She didn't know how to do this. REALLY? Someone working the check-out desk doesn't know how to cancel a credit card transaction? It took her 10-15 minutes to find out how to do this -- not helpful when guests are mindful of catching a train.

When she said that she hoped we had a nice stay, we said yes, mostly comfortable except for the problem with the lack of hot water. She offered a complimentary breakfast. WHAT? On our way out to breakfast, I stopped by to ask if she could put something in the mail. She should have offered at that time, NOT when we are checking out, and NOT when she saw us leaving the building at 8 a.m., when we are likely to be looking for breakfast.

To sum: this hotel is probably not a bad option for a one-night stay at a location near Gare du Nord, assuming that the hot water gets fixed, and the management gives better training to this staff member. The gentleman in the evening seemed to have the act together better.

Again: if the hotel has this kind of hot water disaster, when that is one of the few things we ask of you for a comfortable stay, offer every guest breakfast as soon as they come down, if that is your way of apologizing.

Still -- the price is just okay, but it is an expensive city. Check this place out, but check other options, too.

Room Tip: Make sure the hot water is running as soon as you check in.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple