“Not suitable for plus size people”

Hotel At Gare du Nord
Ranked #1,674 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The hotel room is too small and the toilet is tiny. We could hardly move around the room after putting our luggage. The double bed too is small for us. The bathroom is worse, extremely small and the shower area is so tiny that you could hardly move without hitting yourself against the wall. I had so much difficulty using the shower head because each time when I tried to put it in place the pole will give way. The breakfast is basic. The service is satsfactory. The only advantage about this hotel is its close proximity to the train station. Other than that this hotel is definitely not suitable for mid to larger size people, more suitable if you're pint-size and I really mean pint-size!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in February 2012. We first had a small room, by US standards, and was only accessible by stairs. My wife was pregnant so the next day the hotel upgraded us to a chamber room. This room was much larger. However, both rooms were modern and very comfortable. The real gem of this hotel is the staff. The three staff members we talked with were exceptional. They were ready with a suggestion and all spoke English, which was nice since we didn't know any French. Great hotel!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tay_73_12
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Room was warm, cosy and clean. Cheap place to stay and great value for money. Train stations are close to the hotel and Sacré-Cœur Basilica is 30 minutes walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Orchid1980
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We were looking for somewhere cheap and easy to get to from the eurostar station, and the Tim Hotel was perfect.
We stayed for about 5 nights and it was exactly what we were after, a warm bed, cheap brekky and close to the train station.

Everywhere, all the main attractions were within a reasonable distance from the hotel by the metro, which is very simple to navigate, (surpringly for a bunch of aussies ans south africans)

The price was fantastic, 5 nights for a 100 euro's.

The staff were fantastic and helpful, understanding and very willing to help with our poor French skills!

I'd recommend this hotel for all young people on a budget, just great!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the line are best, can get a bit loud at times but wasnt horrible :)
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Graeme A
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Booked a twin room direct with the hotel for around 67 euros per night, mid week, inc breakfast.

Good points were...
Proximity to Gare Du Nord station for Eurostar (& other metros stations not too far away)
Friendly, helpful English speaking staff.
Free wifi.
Full, all you can eat continental breakfast - ham, cheeses, yoghurt, preserves, bread, pastries etc
Comfortable bedding, clean rooms.
Numerous eating places in vicinity.
Flat screen TV.

Not so good
Noise from railway (esp front rooms) at all times of day/night
Wifi not always working
(small) lift not always working
Size of (twin) room small
Key card not always working
Noise from next room from c7am (some renovations/refurbs being undertaken on various floors/various rooms at time of our stay (Jan 2012)

I had expected some noise from the railway after reading previous reviews but not the other matters and was therefore disappointed overall.
I would only stay there again if I was able to get a substantial discount which is unlikely.
However in view of the friendliness of the staff and good breakfast I would probably seek out one of the other Timhotels when returning to Paris. We came across 2 or 3 others during our walks and liked the location of one in particular in the Sacre Coeur area although I would expect the price to be higher because of that.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the front which are likely to suffer the worse noise.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank StChristopherUK
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in the beginning of January. We were looking for a budget hotel and this is definitely a right one for budget travellers. Even though or room was very tiny and facing rail tracks and busy road, I would not change a thing. For the price we paid 35euro/night, we could not expect anything more. Check-in was very painless and quick and we were in our room within 5 minutes of our arrival to the hotel.

Location: As we arrived by Eurostar from London to Gare du Nord station, location could not been better. Just 5 minutes walk from the Gare du Nord station it saved us money paying for a taxi as we arrived just before midnight. There are several metro stations in very close proximity of the hotel and also cafes’, supermarkets and restaurants.

Room: our room was very tiny and wallpaper and carpet a bit dated. There was just bed, table and two chairs. It did not have a cupboard, just rack with some hangers. Bathroom was also tiny, but refurbished. Everything was clean and we had a bed nicely done and towels changed. I slept with earplugs in so I cannot comment how noisy it got in the night. But I could hear trains during a day through double glazed windows, but in my opinion it was not too noisy. Overall we were happy with the room. And they had a free wi-fi!!!

Food: They charge 10euro for breakfast. We did not try it, but after our experience elsewhere I would pay for it in the future. We ate in two different cafes’ nearby and we paid between 25-30euro for breakfast for two. We found very nice local restaurant close to metro station called Chezz Papa. I really recommend it. Nice atmosphere, delicious food and wine, friendly service and great value for money.

We are actually thinking about taking a Eurostar to Paris from London one day on Saturday evening, have a dinner in Chezz Papa, sleep in Timhotel and come to London around lunchtime on Sunday. That's how much we enjoyed the food.

I would definitely recommend Timhotel for budget travellers and I stay there again next time when in Paris. It is clean 2 star hotel with excellent location for Eurostar travellers.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank komodo8297
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Booked for 3 days during Christmas holidays 2011 but left after 2 days. The room was very small. No locker or safe. No electric kettle. The Wifi was down for the 2 days. No attempt to fix it so for travellers who are dependent on communication, you are going to be lost. The vending machine which dispenses drinks and snacks also broke down. The last straw was when the lift broke down.
The hotel staff wasnt helpful. Requested for hot water but wasnt available.
I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.
It is near the rail tracks therefore it can be noisy in the morning.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends