“Cute little boutique hotel with friendly staff”

Hotel Fontaines du Luxembourg
Ranked #1,021 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was the perfect home base for a culinary tour of Paris. There wasn't anything particularly remarkable about the room itself, but it was exactly what we needed. Central (but not overly-touristy-central) location, friendly staff (we don't speak any French whatsoever and they were super patient and kind) and free wifi (to lookup and confirm restaurant reservations, of course!). The price was also very reasonable given the location. It's basically on top of the Luxembourg Gardens, which we almost missed out on until the very end but thankfully it was so close that we did a quick two-hour before leaving for the airport. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank schneyer

Reviewed 16 June 2012

We spent six nights here during or honeymoon in May. The location was excellent, close to all the vibrancy of the Latin Quarter, the convenience of the Metro, and the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens. The service was very good, we had a few challenges (placing phone calls, needing the AC to work due to street noise) and they were helpful and responsive. We never ate there as the breakfast was too expensive, and it was a bit confusing about getting some coffee and/or hot water in the morning, but there were plenty of places very close by. We loved the charm and decor of the place, with a tiny old lift and narrow hallways and staircase. The only disappointment was the room. The bathroom was large and very up to date (which was great), but the room itself was pretty small, very narrow and dark. We read on TA that this hotel had larger rooms than most Parisian hotels, and the hotel said they gave us a larger room for our honeymoon and being there six nights, but it was still pretty cramped with just one queen size bed, a small desk/chair, and tiny little cushion seat. And there was no closet, only a very small cabinet that wasn't long enough to hang a dress in (the bar extended out, so you could hang it outside the cabinet) and was also cramped with a very small safe. I haven't stayed in a hotel in Paris in a very long time, so maybe I'm very out of touch, but for the amount of money we paid and staying there for nearly a week, we expected a larger space. I would go back for sure if we were staying less nights and had less luggage (we were on a two week honeymoon), but for more than a few nights, I'd look for a larger space.

1  Thank mitraSanFrancisco
Reviewed 12 June 2012

All I have to say is that Hotel Fontaines du Luxembourg is definitely good value. The room we had was incredibly spacious with an amazing recently remodeled bathroom that had both a walk-in shower and a large bathtub. Despite the fact that we booked a normal double room we were given a much larger one...so I'm not exactly sure what happened there.

The service was great, the lady and the front desk (during the day) was lovely and always willing to help. Absolutely loved the free internet. Like others have said though, the elevator is tiny and probably not the best if you're even slightly claustrophobic (very Parisian). The rooms have standard amenities, all that you'd expect from a 3-star hotel. All in all, great value in a good location. The location is good, although I cannot say that there aren't any better located hotels in that area.

All in all, I myself probably wouldn't stay here again, as there are just too many options to be explored in Paris. But I'd definitely recommend this for couples, friends, or maybe even families who are looking for comfortable beds and down to earth service located near the Latin Quartier and the St-German-des-Pres area.

Room Tip: Room 101 - spacious + super duper quiet despite the double door entrance.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We found the hotel from Tripadvisor reviews and were generally pretty happy with it. Many (most?) of the bathrooms seem to have been remodeled recently and have bathtubs and nice fixtures. The beds are also very nice quality and we slept well. Internet is free and pretty zippy. The front desk is pretty helpful -- with everything from storing bags to helping find things in the area. The A/C works really well. The overall feel is comfortable and semi-luxurious while a bit funky.

The most important comment I have is about noise. Several but not all of the room types face the street (rooms ending in 02 - 05 on each of the four floors). The hotel is not on a major street, but it does have garbage trucks, scooters and the occasional ambulance travel past at night. This is a Europe-wide issue, but for some reason it seemed to be a bit louder here than I experienced in other hotels with windows facing the street. We also noticed that there can be a fair amount of noise from adjoining rooms. Remember your earplugs / noise machine...or ask for the types of rooms that don't face the street. The first time I stayed here I was given an "07" room, which was perfect -- facing the courtyard, very quiet, and actually larger and better laid out than the 02 - 05 rooms (a bit more room between the bed and the wall, and a bigger bathroom). If you don't need a street view, ask for an "07" room -- it's really good value and I was very happy there (and you won't have to worry about noise from other rooms in the hotel either - it's off on its own down the hallway).

A few advisory comments: (1) There really aren't any closets (there is a nook in the wall where you can hang perhaps 5 or 6 shirts or jackets but that's it). Both the rooms I've stayed in have enough room for suitcases + bed + walking though. (2) There is a safe but it's small. (3) The desk may be too small for some people to work.

I would stay here again and I will recommend it to friends, but I'd look around the area I'm interested in as well just to make sure there aren't other hotels offering much better deals. It is close to the RER station so it's fairly easy to get to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for an "07" room if you want peace + quiet (see my review for more on this)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 7ContinentsX
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Although not cheap, this is a good small hotel in a central location convenient to good transport - especially CdeG - and had a luxurious feel. We stayed three nights. The decor is a bit bizarre and in common with many other small French hotels the rooms are small with very little clothing space so one is left to live largely out of the suitcase. The hotel has one of the smallest lifts ever made but it does go up and down efficiently although patience is required at busy times. . The bed, the bedding, and the bathroom fittings were all of good quality. There is also a spacious reception area to take tea and coffee but this is not always available. One of the advantages of this character hotel is its proximity to some of the lesser but great delights of Paris - the Cluny Museum, the Luxembourg Gardens, the Botanical Gardens, and then the Seine and Isle de la Cite are within a walking distance. Don't bother with hotel breakfast. It may be OK but but it is pricey and there are plenty of good places for coffee and pastries close by.

All in all it was a good stay although we felt that the prices were a bit high for the facilities.

A real bonus is the splendid restaurant La Ferrandaise just a few doors away.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room to avoid street noise.
2  Thank BudapestDavidandKim
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I found Hotel Fontaines du Luxembourg from doing a ton of research on Trip Advisor and it was really great. It was important to me to stay in the 6th as it has fantastic restaurants everywhere you go, art galleries and shopping and is in the heart of the city. And Jardins du Luxembourg is one of my favorite endoits in Paris. The Hotel is fantastically located about two minutes walk from the Jardins. The lobby is chic as are the rooms as they seem to have been recently renovated. The bathrooms are really big especially for Europe. The best part of this hotel is the price is right. At a rate of only 213 Euros per night it was a great deal. A couple of minor downsides - There is no real concierge. Living in LA it was a bit difficult with the time difference to make dinner reservations and when I called to ask her for help with that she seemed a bit overwhelmed and I ultimately did it myself. She was so sweet though and very helpful when we got there, but again, she's not a "real" concierge. The only other thing is that the hotel can be a bit loud at night as the window to our room faced the street. I would definitely recommend this hotel highly.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Friendly staff, clean, small but nice room, a good bathroom and good value breakfast. The location is literally minutes from subway and several attractions.

Room Tip: Located on a quiet street. Still a room not facing the street is your best bet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends