“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.”

Best Western Paris Italie
Ranked #1,235 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
York, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

We spent a week in this hotel and our room was not cleaned on three separate occasions. When we spoke up about this problem, the completely obnoxious staff members just argued and turned it around tot make it seem as though we were to blame for returning to our room at 4:00 p.m. to shower and change before dinner. I'm sorry, but in a hotel this small there is no excuse for not having all rooms finished that late in the afternoon. All staff members were snobby and unfriendly and quick to dismiss you. The rooms are so small you are practically stepping on each other and far too cold. We lost power in our room twice (by simply turning on a light... this is how old the infrastructure of this building is) and were made to wait more than 30 minutes each time to get it back. No one apologized, no one tried to make anything more comfortable for us. Overall, this experience cast a dark cloud over our vacation. Would not recommend in a million years.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anita W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We selected the 13th arrondissement because we were meeting friends in nearby Montrouge. Rooms in the Hotel de Weha are tiny (at least ours was!), but overall we had no problem with anything else. No PCs for customer use but friendly receptionist let us use the hotel's to contact our friend (he even found her phone number for us!). Easy to get anywhere from Place D'Italie metro stn 100 metres up the road - which is also home to the sometimes outrageous staff at Cafe O Jules! Chinatown and "Latin quarter" also nearby, down the road. Luggage storage OK, laundry OK, free wifi. Breakfast OK for e12 but lots of cafes and a bakery nearby. If you're going near the Gare du Nord station and/or Champs Elysee, watch out for the con artists - they're everywhere and have surely reached the "status" of national disgrace. Our friend said they wait for the police or soldiers to saunter past and then come out of hiding because they know they've got plenty of time before a return visit! One guy tried the old "Is this your gold ring mate?" trick on me and seemed most affronted when I told him where to shove it! Ditto the ticket touts at Gare Du Nord - they just openly walk upto tourists queueing at the information counter and tell them they can buy tickets for them "to save waiting" - then charge an outrageous price at the ticket machines and pocket the difference. Be warned - stay in the queue, even if it will take a bit longer!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank linhmar
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Location: Place d'italie or as the french people call this area china town , don't ask me what is the relation between the two names. Not central but not far, walking distance from a metro station and a very odd shopping mall.

Service: with the exception of one amazing lady i met in this hotel the rest of the staff are either new or they don't exist at the hotel , if u try walking in at this hotel at 2:00 am u will have to knock to wake up whoever is inside on duty to open the door for you, very home like isn't it ? :)

Cleanliness: Very clean and tidy.

Room size: Seriously now i know what is the true definition of small ! : ) but they managed to make use of each and every inch out of the room i would give that a plus thought!

In brief , the experience wasn't very pleasant as I had high expectations: but if you are looking for a cozy and very small place to stay then this is the one, the price was extremely high for a budget hotel but i believe that was just for that period of the year where a lot of exhibitions are taking place, i can imagine its should be a lot cheaper at any other time.

Room Tip: Tip: don't you dare to lose the magnetic key of your room: coz u wil only get it replaced in 2 o...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank GOGOx
New England
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I booked through expedia, though I'd stayed here before. The rooms are small, but at least nowadays if you ask for a double bed you get one. The staff is very friendly and helpful, but the hotel let me down -- but probably because of me. I've gotten used to staying at Marriotts and higher end hotels, so the lack of amenities in the bathroom, a totally absent cleaning of my room on one day even though I was out, made it someplace I will not stay again.

But for those who don't like the location, let me assure you the area around Place d'Italie is very safe and this hotel could not be better located for transportation. Just cross the street and you're at several possible metros. I lived in the 13th arrondissement in the 1980s and while it has changed somewhat it has real character -- mostly a combination of old France (north of metro near Gobélins), a huge mall at Place d'Italie and great Vietnamese food. If you don't want to dine out every night, this hotel is a great choice because you can buy baguettes, lunch meat, wine, cheese, etc. at the Supermarché Carrefour in the Place d'Italie complex and take it back. If you want the fine life, it's a metro ride away.

Excellent for the price although the beds were hard.

Room Tip: Be a Best Western member, and tell them or write them in advance, even if booked through an online t...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ProfT
Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

I've been in Paris multiple times, so my expectations were in check. Paris is one of the most expensive cities for hotels, after all.

I had come here for the auto show in end September, and the room was booked 2 months in advance. I had selcted for its convenient location to the Metro. I got a really good rate, but had I booked in mid September, it would have cost 3x.

The rooms are expected to be small, and so are the bathrooms. However, not being able to shower without bumping into pull-up faucet was a new low for me.

All would have been forgiven, but unreliable wifi made it impossible to do work. The kicker was the uncomfortable mattress with plastic cover. A back ache in the morning mad it the most-uncomfortable room stay in a quite a long time.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Panaray

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We were very close to the metro station so could come and go as we needed. It didnt take long to get to the Notre Dame or whereever we needed to go. I would have had liked to have breakfast included, instead of having to pay extra. We ended up eating breakfast at the McDonalds across the street which had Parisian breakfast items (steamed milk, choux, croissants etc,,, ) so that suited us well. There were many other places to eat at the Place d'Italie at the intersection. Ate down the road at a Thai restaurant and the food was great. I've stayed in Paris 2 other times and this was the biggest room I've stayed in for a similar price. And first time to have a toilet in the room instead of having to go down the hall. Our room faced the main street but it was not noisy at all and I am a light sleeper.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Dana888
Geleen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Nice hotel, next to a metro station.

The price was according the quality, small room and bathroom. Did not spend much time in the room, for sleeping it did the job! We did not have breakfast, lots of breakfast facilities around the area for about €6.

The neighbourhood was nice, at the border of Chinatown. Lots of eating facilities across the street, if you don't like it, take the subway anywhere you like!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple