“Dated but clean”

Best Western Paris Italie
Ranked #1,221 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Near the Latin quarter with great restaurants close by. Metro also close but a fair distance from city centre. Used metro a lot which was really easy. Room was fairly basic but clean. Good service.
We didn't have breakfast here but there were lots of places to get something close by.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy N

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nights end September, we had 2 triple bed rooms. The decor looked tired - with dull carpets and walls, and traditional brown wooden hotel furniture. LCD TV, tea/coffee sachets and a kettle, small fridge which was was useful for storing our bottled water. Reception was fresher, with a lounge area with a range of magazines, and a pc for customer use.

5 minutes walk from Place D'Italie Metro, with a MacDonalds a couple of minutes away, and a number of restaurants nearby - this is within the Chinese quarter so lots of Chinese eateries, but also some Halal Turkish kebab places. And the Commercial Centre is a couple of minutes away, with 130 shops.

Rooms were clean, but as we had one room on the 5th floor, it was a bit of chore to have wait for the one lift during the busy morning period. The hotel is on a main road and our other room which was on 2nd floor was noisy.

Staff were friendly and helpful - but on balance we would prefer in future a place that is more convenient for the key tourist destinations. This was just a little too far given that we only had a couple of days. It meant that we could not 'pop' back to the hotel if we wanted to freshen up and the day we bought some giftware, we had to split whilst someone took this back to leave at the hotel.

Room Tip: avoid rooms on lower floors due to noise from main road, but be prepared for waits for the one lift...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tourista
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My mission was to find a mid-range Paris hotel in a good, though not necessarily central, location.

The price had to fit fairly strict budget constraints.

And, crucially, the basic requirements were comfy, clean, air-conditioned rooms.

We were talking at least three stars here...but rooms in Paris don't come cheap right now. It was going to be a challenge.

Luckily, I had prior knowledge of the Best Western Hotel de Weha. Situated at Place d'italie, in the heart of Chinatown, I had a feeling that this hotel would tick all the boxes.

I made some enquiries. Sure enough, there was an excellent deal on offer, which would more than meet the budget requirements. Maybe this wasn't going to be so difficult after all.

Arriving in Paris, I hopped on to the Metro. It's a quick and easy way to get around. Place d'Italie is not central, but three Metro lines converge there and will take you to all the best places and attractions. You may have to make the odd connection....but that's another story.

Check-in was quick. The helpful receptionist advised me of the buffet breakfast. (I decided not to take this - so may great cafes in the area, I preferred to try those out). There was complimentary WiFi if I needed to report back to base. So far, so good. Armed with my key card, I headed up to the room.

Opening the door of room 17, I could see that it was nicely decorated in pleasant pastel shades. Housekeeping had clearly been hard at work, because there wasn't a speck of dust anywhere. I was impressed.

The bed linen was perfect. Plenty of nice, clean towels in the bathroom. Soap, shower gel and shoe-clean kit were all in place. There was a bathtub with shower attachment, a hairdryer and even a crafty little retractable clothes line....so I had no excuse for looking like a slob.

I tried the air-con and found that it worked very well. I breathed a sigh of relief, because rooms without air-con can get pretty uncomfortable in sunny weather like this.

The flat-screen TV had a good range of channels...mostly local, so I could practise my French (important, in case I met with any of my French contacts,) And an added bonus, something not always found in smaller Paris hotels: a tea/coffee tray. Great! I could get my early morning caffeine shot without leaving the room.

It was handy to have a small fridge - a little min-bar really, just stocked with the basics of water, cola, beer, nuts and chocolate. But there was one surprise: the prices. Very reasonable, not the usual rip-off charges that I've come to expect. I treated myself to a bottle of water.

The hotel stands on a busy avenue, so I heard some street noise. Luckily this never bothers me, but if you're a light sleeper, do bear this in mind when booking a room.

I can't praise the staff enough. Housekeeping made a great job of keeping the room clean. The reception staff were always polite and it often seemed like they went out of their way to be helpful.

Checking out, I congratulated myself. Where else in Paris could you find a three-star hotel in a safe, vibrant neighbourhood that provided all those amenities for such a great price? The de Weha had delivered on all counts.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, be aware that there may be street noise from some of the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank SonicScorpion
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My six-year-old son and I have stayed at this hotel twice and I really like it. The front desk has always been very polite and friendly and the rooms are clean. Some other reviews complain about the size of the room, but that did not bother us. We were very comfortable. My favorite thing about the room was having a kettle to make tea! I know this sounds kind of strange, but I like having a hot cup of tea at night to wind down and some hotels don't provide that--this hotel does! The location is great! It is about a two minute walk to the metro station, Place d'Italie, and from there, you can go anywhere. It is also fairly close to Gare de Lyon, where we went to take a train to another city. There are ATMS within a one minute walk and there is a shopping center around the corner with a supermarket, Tati, and lots of other shops. Across the street is a takeaway Chinese food place, as well as a couple of little cafes. Down the street is one of the Chinatowns, where you can get really good food. During our last stay, it happened to coincide with the Chinese New Year celebration there, so we got to watch a parade, lots of fireworks, and the general mayhem that usually comes with it. It was a lot of fun! I prefer to stay in areas where it is less touristy and more local, so we will stay at this place again the next time we are in Paris.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face the street so if you have an issue with noise, request a room not facing the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Ecomom2013
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Place d'Italie is a strange place to stay in Paris and we stayed there only because
of a conference nearby. In the event we were very happy with the location which although far from everything else is well served with public transportation which we found very convenient. In particular we had no trouble recognising our stop on the bus as the Place is so recognisable. The area has lots of very good cafes and some excellent, fair priced and clean Chinese and South East Asian restaurants.

The hotel itself has nothing to recommend it beyond price but it is adequate.

We found the reception staff kind and courteous and if not too well informed and anxious to be helpful. As for the rest of the staff my feeling was that neither ownership, franchise nor management takes any trouble to train them properly. I thought the staff was anxious in a way that indicates that they fear for their jobs rather than know how to perform them. I doubt that I would stay at a Best Western again based on this hotel's performance for which I hold the franchise and the ownership responsible, certainly not the staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed at Hotel de Weha for 3 nights. Very basic hotel, overall clean, friendly staff, and right price. We stayed on the 6th floor and used the elevator. The shower is quite small, the shower curtain had some mold on the bottom, and the water pressure was a little low. The shower was draining slowly, so I let the front desk know...I guess someone came to fix it, but there wasn't a significant improvement. The hotel has a very basic breakfast for a fee (but my special room rate did include the breakfast). We only had breakfast on one day because we wanted to explore other Parisian breakfast items throughout the city. The location is pretty good, central in Place d'Italie. There are a few metro lines that you can take from the area (within 1 block). Plenty of restaurants and cafes in the area as well (including McDonald's and KFC across the street for tourists). We walked to the Latin Quarter for dinner one night. We had also bought a 2-Day Hop-on Hop-off Bus Open Air bus tour tickets. The closest stop was about a 20-25 min walk from the hotel, but it was a straight shot. I would've liked to have stayed closer to Latin Quarter and Notre Dame areas, but those hotels were very expensive. I think Hotel de Weha was a good alternative as we're not very picky since we didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel (we would leave around 9-10 am and get back to the hotel around midnight). Paris is a must-see!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Handeb1
Reviewed 15 June 2013

The hotel was small, so was the room, but that's pretty normal for a Paris hotel. It was clean enough and hassle-free with everything still in good condition. So, it was an ok stay for a couple of nights as I was out of the room for most of the days anyway. The location couldn't be any better with big Metro station (Place d'Italie), McDonalds, KFC, Tang Freres Gourmet and Supermarket just right in front across the street. Turn right a few steps along Avenue de Choisy and you are in Chinatown (13th), which plenty of SE Asian and Chinese foods to fill you up. Another street behind the hotel is also worth a walk with a few design shops. cafes and Carrefour around. The service was up to standard, nothing flashy nor anything bad to worry about. Suitable for business or solo travelers who just need a comfortable place to sleep after getting works done or a day-long trip, nothing more nothing less.

Room Tip: Get higher floor for a more peaceful stay. (Mine was on 5th floor overlooking the Avenue d'Itali...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business