“Hotel Astoria Opera- you can do better!”

Hotel Astoria - Astotel
Ranked #138 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Fairhope, Alabama
“Hotel Astoria Opera- you can do better!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent 3 nights at this hotel in May 2014. The room was incredibly small, you could barely get around the bed. The view from the room was of a dismal alley. The bathtub was stopped up and when you showered you were ankle deep in water. Imagine sharing this room! The tub sides were so steep you had to lean into the sink and hold on to get in an out of the tub and I am a tall person! Not to mention how long it took to drain afterwards. You had to hold the handle down on the toilet to flush or flush it multiple times. You were given two small, old towels daily for two people. There was no coffee in the room or the lobby but there was one, small bottle of water (give credit where due) in the room. There wasn't even a pen or paper in the room. The breakfast was E14 and not worth that amount. If you wanted a beer, you had to get it from the reception desk and it was E4.50. The reception desk people were not friendly and seemed inconvenienced if you asked them anything. I have stayed in Paris 4 times prior and found this location confusing. It was not close to the on and off bus. The metro was close by. Restaurants were close by but, of course, this is Paris. This is a very expensive area to eat in. I much prefer the left bank and will go back to the hotel and area I stayed in previously on my next trip. I stayed in 4 other hotels on my 2 week trip and left them excellent reviews so this was the only disappointment of my trip.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
6 Thank 207YHoover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

It was a nice hotel.. nice room,good breakfast,good location near in metro.. good staff specially a staff namedly tej who can speak tagalog also and so jolly to all of guest .It was just almost perfect with a good price also.

But One person I didnt like.. In our last day.A boy receptionist who's quite RUDE..I didnt ask his name but I think u will notice him. I dont like the way he treated us when he was mistaken to our call time for our shuttle going to airport.. we booked 5pm.. and he called us 5am in the morning while we're having a nice sleep time..and then we had a little argument about the time.. and after a while he noticed he's wrong and after that he just put down the phone without any apology for disturbing us or even goodbye... and in check out when we ask about if we can have wifi connection(coz we are looking for internet connection that time) he just gave this paper with the face reaction and sound "tsk!tsk!" That's SO RUDE dude! I hope your management can do something about this guy.. I think thats natural for him of being rough.. but I hope he didnt bring it at work.. be professional.!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Aicey A
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We booked this hotel online with ease.

I emailed them a few days later asking if they provided a transfer service from the airport to the hotel. They emailed be back straight away saying they did not however, they did offer a service from the hotel to the airport. We did avail of this for our departure as it was private and reasonably priced.

This hotel is conveniently located a few blocks away from the Rome train stop with restaurants, bakeries, cafes and convenience stores a short stroll away. We obtained this advice from the staff (Boy and Tej) at the breakfast room (where we never had breakfast - they were just so much more helpful with directions and advice).

The room was very clean and modern. We enjoyed the infusion of color as the weather was rather dreary during our stay. Our only suggestion for improvement would be to install either a curtain or a divider between the bathtub and the rest of the bathroom so you don't wet the entire area during your shower.

It would also be nice to install a little ramp from the lobby up to the elevated portion of the hotel so you don't need to carry your luggage up the steps.

Room Tip: Rooms on the other side overlook the street and have balconies
2 Thank Bmped
San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Checking out today after staying 3 nights. Staff speak English always helpful. Clean, modern, close to restaurants shopping and transportation. IMHO this place could charge more !!! If we ever come back we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Nikkermeister
vancouver WA
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is a little gem. We were greeted by friendly staff and quickly booked in. The front desk provided us with directions and good recommendations. Tej, who mans the breakfast bar went out of his way to be helpful. Your room will be small so be prepared. The hotel is decorated in a fun style that makes me smile thinking about the bright colors and delightful wallpaper. This hotel is clean and a good base to work from. The metro and bus stations are close, yet it is off the main road enough to be able to sleep at night.

1 Thank grandmabeulah
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Not sure what to expect, our driver brought us down this narrow street filled with wrought iron balconies and dropped us off. The lobby is small, nothing exciting but the staff were very friendly. The "ascenseur" (elevator) is tiny - especially by American standards. The room is small, clean, with a nice firm bed. The bathroom is nicely done with a handheld shower in the tub. We had our own balcony and could open the door for fresh air. Being on a street it could get noisy but once the door was shut, silence. The morning breakfast was nicely done with French and American choices. The furnishings are modern, plastic chairs, not all that comfortable for relaxing in. The hotel is convenient to the metro and the bus. We took the 81 bus down to Rue Rivoli which was near where we wanted to be.

Room Tip: The staff will recommend the Metro. We found the 81 bus an easier way to go - no changes/transfer ne...
1 Thank agb427
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I normally like staying in modern small hotels that are low-mid price range when I go on city breaks which is why I chose this one, as generally you spend very little time in the room but still want it to be nice - it was an excellent choice. I stayed for two nights.

The hotel is in a great location with metro stops stepping distance away, a few reviews have said it is too far out but it's close on the metro to the centre. The staff were incredibly friendly, on the last day our flight wasn't till late in the evening and they offered to hold our bags whilst we went out for the day which was great. A few reviews have said the hotel is too small and the rooms tiny, but our room was as big as any other city hotel I've stayed in and incredibly clean. The free wifi was a bonus and unlike most hotels it actually worked and we were offered the passcode without having to ask.

The deal I bought included breakfast which I would never opt for normally but it was nice and simple with excellent scrambled eggs the only downside was on the first day we came down to breakfast with roughly an hour still to go, all the tables that had been used weren't cleared away, we ended up clearing on ourselves and whilst we ate none of the used tables were cleared at all, various breakfast items also ran out which weren't replaced and we had to ask for cutlery and cups, I'd like to say that it was because the morning busy breakfast rush but sadly it didn't look like the waitresses were doing very much of the which was a bit of a shame but otherwise it was very nice.

We went to a fantastic restaurant further down the road called Vin Qui Danse and had a reasonably priced great meal there.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and would most definitely stay here again on my next trip to Paris.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back which was very quiet.
1 Thank em1517