“Very good hotel, great staff, ideal location”

Hotel Royal Saint Germain
Ranked #568 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed five nights. Excellent, helpful staff (except see below re one minor item). A very convenient lounge (where they serve breakfast) where my colleagues and I could bring wine and cheese and snacks and relax at the end of the day before going out for dinner. Excellent location there in the 6th arrondissement a two minute walk to Montparnasse (and the Metro)--what people think of when they think of Paris--beautiful architecture, sidewalk cafes and restaurants, shops, also monoprix-type minimarts, wine stores, etc. My room on the 5th floor had a small balcony one could go out on with a glass of wine. (But my colleagues, who were directly below, did not.) Perfect for May, when I went there for a university conference. In January I had stayed a week in Paris for work and was installed in a slightly more upscale hotel a short walk from the Arc de Triomphe. I like the Hotel Royal and its neighborhood much better.

Being a 3-star hotel in the middle of Paris, the rooms are cramped (yet hardly inexpensive). Hard to navigate around the two twin beds in my room. But, as I was reminded by other reviews, there was indeed a nice little wardrobe/closet with useful shelves and hangers. The bathroom was modern, yes, but not too well installed. The shower head fell off and I had to re-screw it on, not totally successfully since I had no tools. I had reported it was loose, two different staff members made notes about it but no one from the hotel ever did anything about it. Since it worked passably I let it go, mostly because the staff were otherwise so stellar.

Room Tip: I was in room 54 which had a lovely little balcony one could go out on. But my colleagues in 44 and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Msafiri77
RoyalstGermain, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Royal Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2015

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing the Royal Saint Germain hotel for your stay and for taking the time to put a comment on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to know that your stay was up to your expectations.
Rooms have a normal size for an hotel like ours in Paris. The Executive rooms are our bigger rooms. Don't hesitate to book one of them for your next stay in Paris.

Service is our priority. We are really sorry regarding the inconvenience that you had with the shower. It will never happen again.

However, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel in Paris during your next stay.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Very nice hotel. Hotel staff were nice. Rooms were a little small but the closets were huge. Our friends had the penthouse and the view of Paris was amazing. My room had the street view and Monoprix was next to the hotel. My room also had a huge window that you can open and look outside the street. Overral we enjoyed our time here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank dallylta2

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sending your comment on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay in Paris especially in our hotel and the location.
The room size meet the Parisian norms. We have bigger rooms: the Executive one. Don't hesitate to ask for one of them during your next booking.

We would like to hank you again for your comment.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Saint Germain was great. Location made most of the city walkable and the neighborhood had all kinds of restaurants, open-air cafes etc. The breakfast was great and the staff could not have been more helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mitchy75
RoyalstGermain, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Royal Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2015

Deat Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Royal Saint Germain Hotel for your stay in Paris and for this eulogistic comment!

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that it was up it was up to your expectation.

Services is ou priority, we are glad to learn that our staff offers you a good service.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel during your next stay in Paris.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was our first trip to Paris. We stayed at this hotel for 10 days starting on 4/25/14. The reception staff was friendly and welcoming. Our room was on the 5th floor with a small balcony facing the street. There was plenty of closet space, shelving, and room to move around comfortably. The bathroom was nice and modern. The staff did a great job keeping the room,bedding, and bathroom, clean everyday. We slept very well and did not hear the traffic noise when the balcony door was closed.
There is a nice breakfast room on the first floor and although we did not eat breakfast, it was nice to get a good cup of coffee in the morning to start the day. The staff was quick to respond to any questions or concerns we had about a room key not working to giving us tips on how to get around the city.
The location of this hotel is fantastic. Lots of wonderful cafes, bakeries, restaurants and stores,just steps away. If you like to walk and explore, you can walk for miles. My husband and I walked to the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, The Arc of Triumph, and much more. It was wonderful.
I would like to thank Matthew and the rest of the staff for a wonderful stay. You certainly made us feel at home! Best wishes, Sincerely, Rose and Joe

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ros19

Dear Sirs,

What a wonderful comment about the experience that you had in Paris and particularly at the Royal Saint Germain Hotel.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt like at home.

Service is our priority, we are pleased to know that our staff offers you a service up to your expectations.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

First of all I must say reception was absolutely the most wonderful experience in Paris. Been to Paris about 7 times. Always had poor experience with unfriendly reception. Staff but this hotel has the most friendly staff I have ever came across especially in Paris. The man in the glasses was not only helpful, accommodating but also very friendly. On top of this room was clean, specious and beautifully arranged. Bed was very comfy and I slept very well. Bathroom was clean.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank justi p

Dear Madam,

Thank you for this elogistic comment!

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that it was up to your expectations.

Service and cleaning are our priority. I am glad to learn that our staff offers you a good services.
I will share this comment with our them, they will be pleased to read your comment.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in Paris, particularly in our hotel.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Booking over the internet can be a hit or miss proposition but this choice hit it out of the park. Staff is lovely, kindly took my bags after extremely early arrival and pointed me to a friendly cafe for some much-needed coffee and lunch.
My room was adorable, yes, it was small but more than perfectly adequate and the bathroom was gorgeous. Immaculate white tile, slate flooring, fluffy white towels.....I took a bubble bath every night which I usually don't do in hotels, as I'm paranoid about cleanliness.
The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and I slept very well. The breakfast room was small and elegant and the breakfast selections were delicious.
I would definitely stay here again and recommend it highly.
As other reviewers have mentioned, location is FABULOUS.

Room Tip: I requested a room as high up as possible with a view over the city and the lovely desk clerk change...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank byethebays

Dear Madam,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your comment.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the Royal Saint Germain Hotel.

It is with a real pleasur to read your comment about our staff and about cleaning. Cleaning and services are really important for us.

We hope taht we will have the pleasure to welcome you back again in our hotel.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The small boutique style hotel is in a very handy location- very close to the Motnparnasse tower.
It was fairly straightforward to follow the instructions and find our way to it when we arrived at CDG airport. We caught the RER B train from the airport to Les Halles then took metro line 4 to Saint Placide. We had a short walk to the hotel after that.

The receptionist was exceptionally polite and well mannered. We found his advice very helpful throughout our stay.
A little lift took us to our floor. Our room was small but we already expected that from reading other reviews on trip advisor. We were on floor 5 . The room faced on to the main road, but due to the double glazing we were hardly disturbed by the traffic noise. The bathroom was small but perfectly adequate and immaculately clean.

There is free wifi and a computer is available for guests to use.
The dining area is very tastefully decorated and welcoming.The breakfast buffet offered a good selection of continental style foods. eg fruit, yogurt, cheese, cold meats,bread, croissants etc.
I was surprised to see guests sneakily helping themselves to extra food and making up packed lunches to take away with them.
The only negative was that the bread was uncovered and lots of different hands touching it put me off taking some.

We found it handy for all the major tourist sites and we were able to walk to them easily. If you are not keen walkers then the hotel also handy for the metro/ bus routes which are easy to navigate( with a little research and pre-planning.)

There are plenty of shops and a variety of restaurants to suit all tastes . (The Montpanasse 1900, located just round the corner, is particularly nice, typically French and offers a 2 course meal for 25 euros)

All in all we were very happy but we would suggest that the hotel puts up a notice in the rooms to request that guests come in quietly and respect other guests needs at night time as we were disturbed by a noisy group of youngsters returning to their room very late at night and they then proceeded to talk very loudly until 4.30am! This was our only complaint.

Room Tip: A room located at the rear of the hotel would be quieter than one at the front.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank a_downing1
RoyalstGermain, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Royal Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2015

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comment on Trip Advisor.

It was a pleasure to welcome you in our hotel. We are delighted to know that you had enjoyed your stay at the Royal Saint Germain Hotel.

Rooms and our bathroom have a normal size for an hotel like ours in Paris. We have bigger room: the Executive one. Don't hesitate to book one of them for your next stay in Paris.

Regarding the noise, we are sincerely sorry, in that kind of situation, don't hesitate to call the recepetion. It will be a leasure for them to help you.

We would like to thank you again for your wonderful comment.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel .