“OK but not 5 stars”

Ranked #157 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Stockholm, Sweden
“OK but not 5 stars”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The location is great and the lobby and bar are nicely designed. Our room 208 was rather small, but OK (except for the hideous painting above the bed). But we did not feel that this hotel should have 5 stars:
No tea/coffee maker in the room.
No red wine in the mini bar.
Very odd collection of wine glasses, three different types, one each!
Small bathroom without a towel heater.
Low on hot water, just drizzling.

So we thought this was OK for a 3-4 star hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Elmaleh L, Directeur général at Hotel Pont Royal, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at the Hotel Pont Royal.

We deeply regret that your stay has not entirely met your expectations.

We offer a 24/24 room-service to our guests, which can allow the order of all hot drinks you need anytime you wish.
We indeed don’t have red wine in the mini bar due to quality reasons : In the mini bar, the temperature is too cold and outsite the mini bar is too true random. Our room service and Bar teams are also available for these requests 24/24.

We sought all our painting to students of the Beaux Arts School in Paris and I am so sorry the painting of your room was not your taste. They are all different in the hotel. I hope you could discover an other painting, if we will have the pleasure to welcome you for an other occasion.
I would love to welcome you personally.

Very Kind Regards from Paris

GENERAL MANAGER
Laetitia.Elmaleh@hotel-pont-royal.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We recently stayed at Hotel Pont Royal in Paris for the second leg of our European honeymoon. We had just come off an excellent stay at a 4-star resort in Rome, Italy and were looking forward to our stay at Pont Royal as we had selected to upgrade to a Deluxe Room at the 5-star resort.

We arrived and were greeted by the hotel staff - who were all very nice - and were immediately given our room. We were a little shocked as to how small the room was, especially since we had "upgraded" and the amount we had paid for the room....I know Paris is expensive, but the room was nothing fancy. Not bad, but just didn't wow us at all. There was just room enough for the desk, bed, and a couple nightstands. We had to shove our suitcase under the desk and crawl underneath to grab clothes out of it so that we didn't trip over it walking around. We were on the 2nd floor facing the road, which was a nice view but at times could be very noisy. It was better at night when the traffic was less, but in mornings it was a bit loud. Plus our room was at the end of the hall right next to the "service closet" and we could constantly hear the banging of the maids and employees of the hotel through the wall when they were in the room.

Plus our WIFI never worked, even after we told the front desk twice and they said they would look into it. We ended up connecting to the room's WIFI next door, but it was the slowest connection ever and wouldn't work half the time. Not a big deal, but when you are using WIFI to communicate with people at home, it was a problem trying to send emails and messages to family.

The amenities in the room were nice, and the two times that we asked the concierge to request restaurants for us to eat dinner they did make great recommendations and got us reservations no problem. We did however ask them the first day we were there to call a restaurant we had found and get us a reservation and when we didn't hear back several hours later we went down to check what time we were given we were told that they were unable to get us in. No big deal, but we would have never known if we didn't check back with them. Then we had to make plans last minute.

The location however is great, about a 10 minute walk from the Lourve and the surrounding area was beautiful to walk around in. Lots of good places to eat as well that weren't too "touristy."

Overall it was a very "average" stay. Nothing really bad happened, we just felt like for the amount of money we paid for the room we would have liked some of the things that did go wrong to be resolved. That and we had just come off a stay in Rome where the staff went above and beyond for us (upgrading our room to a suite, free bottle of champagne for our honeymoon, and free breakfast) so maybe we were a little bit turned off by the fact we did not experience the same in Paris.

I would recommend this hotel to someone coming to Paris, but if we ever go back we will definitely stay somewhere a little more affordable.

Room Tip: Street view was loud at times, and don't stay in 101 next to the service closet. Maids are very...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie S
Elmaleh L, Directeur général at Hotel Pont Royal, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay the Hotel Pont Royal.

We are deeply sorry that we have not been entirely able to meet your expectations. Our aim is to satisfy every need of our guests and make them feel at home.

I am very concerned by your remark regarding to the Wifi in your room and will investigate in order to localize the provenance. We are sorry for the inconvenience and we apologize.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back on another occasion
In case you plan to visit Paris again, please contact me directly, I will be more than delighted to welcome you personally.
We would sincerely welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence.

Best Wishes

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is a wonderful hotel in a superb location with nice amenities and a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Our room had ample space, especially relative to other European hotels. We had no problem storing our clothes or luggage. And the price was right.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SharonTLW
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for your lovely review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Hotel Pont Royal.

We hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

With very best wishes,

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed with four friends for a birthday weekend in March. The Hotel is very well positioned. On arrival the staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were not available until 3 pm but they looked after our luggage and we went out to lunch.My room was lovely , it had plenty of storage and two comfortable chairs and a table, good bathroom with everything you need including hair dryer and bath robe. the mini bar was well stocked and we had a selection of snacks. The Bar was small and quite intimate, the breakfast was very good with continental and hot eggs and bacon. I would say that the hotel had a slightly older visitor and I don't remember seeing any children. All the staff from the room service to the bar man and reception were really friendly and had a can do attitude.The hotel is not flashy but clean,comfortable and warm with lovely staff. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank salli G
Elmaleh L, Directeur général at Hotel Pont Royal, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your very kind review and so pleased you all had such an enjoyable stay.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back on another occasion.

With very best wishes,

laetitia.elmaleh@hotel-pont-royal.com
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We expected the small room, but this was small even by Left Bank standards. There was a virtual absence of storage, no place for my wife and I to sit and relax in the room (except the edge of the bed), and it was nearly impossible to get to the bathroom (squeezed right up against the side of the bed). We did have a fabulous terrace with a great view of Montmartre, so that is a big plus.

What bothered us the most was the heating/air conditioning malfunctioned for three straight days, despite repeated repair efforts. We did not get a single decent night's sleep. It was also appalling that our room reeked of tobacco one night, though we suspect this was coming from the room next door.

Staff quality was not what we expected or have grown accustomed to. Housekeeping came in the evenings while we were dressing for dinner and never came back after we left, so we never got evening service. And while the concierge was usually helpful, the front desk service was spotty at best.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank David D
Elmaleh L, Directeur général at Hotel Pont Royal, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
I am very concerned by the experience you mentioned on TripAdvisor.

Dear Guest,

Your feedback is extremely important to us, I would like to follow up on your visit and comments. I would be most grateful if you could grant me a few minutes of your precious time. I hope we can connect soon and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

laetitia.elmaleh@hotel-pont-royal.com
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have never taken the time to write a review on trip advisor though I frequently read them. I really felt that this hotel was worth the trouble, because during my stay nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The hotel is like many nice hotels in Paris, centrally located, smallish rooms but can walk to everything and comfortably decorated. We had to be in Paris for three weeks for my husbands work and its a long time to stay in a hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Every member of the staff that we met (over three weeks) was exactly the way I like hotel staff to be: friendly, obliging, intelligent. There was no begging for tips, they just seemed happy to be doing their jobs. It made you happy to be staying there. We have both travelled extensively and have previously lived in France, so we were very busy on this last trip, and the staff helped us really make the most of every minute. The advice of the concierge is fantastic, they helped me book trips to Dijon, had my husbands shoes fixed, recommended great ideas for friends visiting and then booked them and organised restaurants for us that our Parisian friends loved. When my daughter was sick they helped out with an extra bed so that I could look after her in my room. The housekeeping staff did such a nice job cleaning for us. Breakfast fixed different things for us so that we didn't get bored during a long stay. There was not one member of staff that I could fault and that is a first for us in a Paris hotel. It is also my favourite part of Paris, you can walk to the Louvre and along the quai's, or down the Boulevard St Germain. So good that I have booked again for my next trip.

Room Tip: I like to spend a little extra to get a larger room on the top floors
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank KBernard2014

I would simply like to thank you for these words of praise and for your generous support through Trip Advisor.

Hoping to welcome you again

GENERAL MANAGER
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Not only was the hotel very beautifully decorated and clean but the staff were very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. We really appreciated the included breakfast-thanks to booking on the Hotel's site.
Position was central and most things were an easy walk or train station very close to the hotel.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend.

Room Tip: Beautifully decorated and clean, room typically small European style. Very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ACoff
Thank you for your generous support.
We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed being with us and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you once again

Best wishes