“average for Paris”

Hotel Excelsior Republique
Ranked #1,592 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at the Excelsior for two nights in October 2013. Staff was very friendly and breakfast totally acceptable. The room was unfortunately dirty (inexplicable stains everywhere, mildew in the bathroom, etc.) with worn-out furniture. The bed was relatively comfortable. That's what you get in Paris for such a low price! Perhaps the youth hostel would have been cleaner though.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Our one night stay did not start well: we were shown a twin on the 4th floor but then the concierge said there had been an error - he didn't explain what - and led us up to the floor above where there was a double bedded room. The room was very small. Even so you would still need fantastic vision to be able to watch the tiny tv from the bed - a telescope might help! Downstairs I had picked up a brochure produced by the hotel which said that all their rooms had been recently redecorated. They obviously never got to the 5th floor as our room had cracks and peeling plaster (see photos) and was, in my view, not even 2 star standard. I also noticed there was no notice about fire safety/evacuation by the lift or at the top of the 5th floor stairs unlike the levels below. Is this floor some sort of overspill area for guests I wonder? The walls are paper thin and we were woken at 3 am by someone using the loo in the room next door - not nice. I found a small black insect crawling around my pillow in the morning as I got out of bed; I don't know what it was but I didn't like the look of it. The lift is very small and feels ancient; frankly, I used the stairs. The reception staff on the morning we left couldn't even raise a "bonjour". They also tried to charge us twice for the local tax which we had paid on arrival. All in all I wouldn't go back under any circumstances.

Room Tip: Avoid 5th floor!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The bedding was filthy and we suffered from some kind of insect bites, which could only have come from the blankets! The towels was torn, thin and hard. Some of the power sockets wasn't working and neither was the hairdryer.
No kettle and coffee in room.
Bathroom so small you can't wash your feet.
Really could have done better...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stephan S
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I got at this hotel with no reservation. I was very welcome by the friendly staff. I got the last room available which was quite small and tight, but clean and perfect for my needs. The only problem I had is that the room was immensely hot and I was told I would have a fan that was not provided in the end, even asking for that everyday. Long night sleep was a challenge in that temperature.
I had a problem in the bathoom that was fixed right away. Good hotel overall in a great location, close to subway and lots of restaurants.
Unfortunately I had to leave Paris a day earlier than I expected and as soon as I did not have a previous reservation, I told them 2 nights before that I had to leave and would like to have a refund of my last night. I waited for their confirmation till a few hours before I leave and I was told the refund would be done in the next day. I am still waiting for this even though I have many emails confirming it will be done... A bit longer then needed... This is why I am giving 3 stars instead of 4.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

First Impression of hotel was ok small room but expected for Paris. Went to sleep woke up in the morning covered in bites and found bed bugs all through the bed!! Went down to reception and asked to switch rooms. They did this but we were moved up to the third floor and the wifi then didn't work in our room. When expressing our disappointment to staff at reception they did not care saying it was not there fault other people bring the bugs in.
Definitely ruined my experience of Paris. Will never stay here again.
Am still itching!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aussietravellers9289
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The location of this hotel is right by two different Metro stations; one of which is Republique. They store your luggage both before you check in and after you check out. The rooms are very clean and cozy. They are a bit small, but if you are just planning on sleeping there they are perfectly fine. There is a nice patisserie across the road.

The staff at this hotel is absolutely fantastic. They speak English and are very nice. My boyfriend and I were subjected to a cancelled Eurostar and when we called back to see if we could book another night, the hotel was unfortunately full. Raj, the desk person on duty, was sympathetic and actually booked us a hotel room with another hotel so we didn't have to worry about finding a place to stay late at night. To me, this went above and beyond a normal level of customer service and was much appreciated.

We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sloria0502
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel is situated very close to the metro which makes it ideal for arriving and leaving as you don't have to drag your luggage too far. Rooms are quite small but so is most hotel rooms in Paris. Reasonable price (€89) for summer time and its location. Great pattisserie/bakery across the road and its pretty quiet at night as the hotel is located in a small street. Staff are very friendly and speak good English. I will be staying here again when visiting Paris in the future.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple