“Nice staff and location”

Hotel Excelsior Republique
Ranked #1,478 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Recife
“Nice staff and location”
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I have nothing to complain about this hotel. It's an average Paris hotel in a great location, just a few steps from the metro republique. The staff was very kind and polite, and helped me with everything I needed. The room was clean and everything worked just fine. The price was really good and I would definitely recommend this place and stay there again. The room is small, but when you are in Paris the last place you want to stay is in your hotel. Book it and don't be afraid.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gordonoar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at the Excelsior for two nights in October 2013. Staff was very friendly and breakfast totally acceptable. The room was unfortunately dirty (inexplicable stains everywhere, mildew in the bathroom, etc.) with worn-out furniture. The bed was relatively comfortable. That's what you get in Paris for such a low price! Perhaps the youth hostel would have been cleaner though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Our one night stay did not start well: we were shown a twin on the 4th floor but then the concierge said there had been an error - he didn't explain what - and led us up to the floor above where there was a double bedded room. The room was very small. Even so you would still need fantastic vision to be able to watch the tiny tv from the bed - a telescope might help! Downstairs I had picked up a brochure produced by the hotel which said that all their rooms had been recently redecorated. They obviously never got to the 5th floor as our room had cracks and peeling plaster (see photos) and was, in my view, not even 2 star standard. I also noticed there was no notice about fire safety/evacuation by the lift or at the top of the 5th floor stairs unlike the levels below. Is this floor some sort of overspill area for guests I wonder? The walls are paper thin and we were woken at 3 am by someone using the loo in the room next door - not nice. I found a small black insect crawling around my pillow in the morning as I got out of bed; I don't know what it was but I didn't like the look of it. The lift is very small and feels ancient; frankly, I used the stairs. The reception staff on the morning we left couldn't even raise a "bonjour". They also tried to charge us twice for the local tax which we had paid on arrival. All in all I wouldn't go back under any circumstances.

Room Tip: Avoid 5th floor!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Bloemfontein, South Africa
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The bedding was filthy and we suffered from some kind of insect bites, which could only have come from the blankets! The towels was torn, thin and hard. Some of the power sockets wasn't working and neither was the hairdryer.
No kettle and coffee in room.
Bathroom so small you can't wash your feet.
Really could have done better...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephan S
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I got at this hotel with no reservation. I was very welcome by the friendly staff. I got the last room available which was quite small and tight, but clean and perfect for my needs. The only problem I had is that the room was immensely hot and I was told I would have a fan that was not provided in the end, even asking for that everyday. Long night sleep was a challenge in that temperature.
I had a problem in the bathoom that was fixed right away. Good hotel overall in a great location, close to subway and lots of restaurants.
Unfortunately I had to leave Paris a day earlier than I expected and as soon as I did not have a previous reservation, I told them 2 nights before that I had to leave and would like to have a refund of my last night. I waited for their confirmation till a few hours before I leave and I was told the refund would be done in the next day. I am still waiting for this even though I have many emails confirming it will be done... A bit longer then needed... This is why I am giving 3 stars instead of 4.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

First Impression of hotel was ok small room but expected for Paris. Went to sleep woke up in the morning covered in bites and found bed bugs all through the bed!! Went down to reception and asked to switch rooms. They did this but we were moved up to the third floor and the wifi then didn't work in our room. When expressing our disappointment to staff at reception they did not care saying it was not there fault other people bring the bugs in.
Definitely ruined my experience of Paris. Will never stay here again.
Am still itching!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aussietravellers9289
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The location of this hotel is right by two different Metro stations; one of which is Republique. They store your luggage both before you check in and after you check out. The rooms are very clean and cozy. They are a bit small, but if you are just planning on sleeping there they are perfectly fine. There is a nice patisserie across the road.

The staff at this hotel is absolutely fantastic. They speak English and are very nice. My boyfriend and I were subjected to a cancelled Eurostar and when we called back to see if we could book another night, the hotel was unfortunately full. Raj, the desk person on duty, was sympathetic and actually booked us a hotel room with another hotel so we didn't have to worry about finding a place to stay late at night. To me, this went above and beyond a normal level of customer service and was much appreciated.

We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple