“Great room, convenient location”

Best Western Hotel Marais Bastille
Ranked #245 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great room, convenient location”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed there alone for a few days of shopping on my way to a seminar. The hotel is located close to the Bastille, not on the most lively street (mostly motorcycle shops) but close to the action, so you get the best of both worlds: a good night of sleep and everything within a few minutes' walk. Efficient and courteous check-in, which pretty much sums up the quality of the service throughout my stay.

The room is surprisingly large for a Paris hotel, nicely designed and well appointed. And again, can't underline it enough, very quiet. I had breakfast in my room, it was a tasty continental breakfast.

There was only two things that bothered me during the stay and one of them wouldn't be a problem for most guests. 1) The smell in the common areas. As soon as I walked in the hotel, I felt a very strong, unidentifiable smell that really disturbed me. I think it may have been from recent renovation work in the common areas. Fortunately, my room didn't have such a smell, otherwise I would have had a problem. But I must admit, I have a very strong sense of smell and it's a real handicap. Just wanted to have it here, so others like me are informed. 2) The safe wasn't large enough to hold a computer. I locked mine in my suitcase, which fitted nicely in the cupboard (not bad for Paris!) and that was perfectly ok for me, but for some this may not be an acceptable solution.

Would I stay there again? Why not. I really had a good stay, felt welcome, slept well and had plenty of space. Usually I try to test new areas of the city whenever I am in Paris, but if I had to be close to the Bastille, I would definitely stay at the Marais Bastille again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
MaraisBastille, Directeur général at Best Western Hotel Marais Bastille, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Andreanne,

Many thanks for taking time to write this large feedback regarding your stay in Marais Bastille Stay.
It's very nice to read that you have appreciated you stay in Paris and in our hotel.

It's well noted regarding safety box's size, we will think about it for next change, anyway for next time, please note that you can also use a bigger safe at reception..

Hope to welcome you again for you next stay near the Bastille Area.

Your sincerely,
Philippe Dolbeau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

had a four night break and had a great time.
French market over the road on sunday,quality food,flowers etc. Staff on reception lovely,always a smile, second time at this hotel,great location...we will be back. Rooms cleaned to high standard,thank you for a lovely visit

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MaraisBastille, Directeur général at Best Western Hotel Marais Bastille, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Komorione,

Thanks to you for having chosen Hotel Marais Bastille and for taking time to write this nice comment.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Kind Regards,
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Clean, quite -although the road in front of the hotel was central but had no traffic!, nice view - a park is lying beneath- has all the necesary things that a traveller needs- boil machine, coffee,sugar etc- is very close at least at 2 metro stations, a grocery store is at the previous corner. All the attendants in the reception were far too kind and pleasant ( discreet). We look forward to stay there on our next visit to Paris!!!

Room Tip: Last floor is magnificent
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nefeli2014
MaraisBastille, Directeur général at Best Western Hotel Marais Bastille, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Nefeli,

Thanks you so much for your very nice feedback and for recommending Hotel Marais Bastille.

We would be pleased to welcome you again for your next visit in Paris.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Paris for a very quick city break and only stayed here for one night but I would't hesitate to go back - the staff and location all made it a fantastic trip.

Firstly the hotel is in a great location for exploring the city - it is 5-10 minutes walk from 2 metro stations which take you into the heart of the city making it a great base.

We arrived just before the check-in time of 2pm and were told that our room wouldn't be ready for a another 10 minutes which was fine as we were early and we said we were happy to wait. The receptionist then advised us that another room was available immediately if we wanted to go up to have a look at it which we did. He told us that the previous day there had been a small leak in the room and there was no damage or water anywhere just a small section of wall that was missing some paint. We said we were happy to stay in that room (as it transpired it was slightly better than the one we had booked and paid for so were happy to take the free upgrade!) and upon entering the room could hardly notice the wall in question as it was hidden behind a door. 5 minutes later the receptionist turned up with free champagne as way of an apology for the "damage" to the wall which was a lovely touch even though there was nothing wrong with the room at all.

The room had a TV, nice big double bed, desk, hair-dryer, sofa and bathroom with 2 sinks, toilet, shower and bath and was very modern and clean with free toiletries and a heated towel rail which came in very handy when we had to dry all our clothes out after getting soaked in the rain later in the day! The hotel is quite small with only a few rooms per floor but we heard no noise the whole time we were there. Our room faced the main road and although it was busy at times the noise was hardly noticeable and just reminded us we needed to be out exploring the city not sitting in the room!

After a day out exploring I was so touched to come back to our room in the evening and find some chocolates in our room with a note wishing me a Happy Birthday - we had been talking to the receptionist who bought us the champagne earlier in the day and we mentioned we were visiting Paris for my birthday and he said he would go out any buy me a present but I thought he was only joking. Then I came back and found he had been out and bought them especially which was just lovely. Every staff member at the hotel really made the visit extra special.

There are plenty of restaurants near the hotel if you don't fancy travelling into the city and we ate a nice traditional restaurant only 5 minutes from the hotel. There are also plenty of shops nearby if you wanted to buy any drinks/food to take back to your room and several pharmacies were also close by.

Breakfast in the morning was a continental selection available from 7am with pastries, juice, cereal, toast and eggs and tea and coffee available. The staff were happy to store our bags for us as we had to check out in the morning and weren't catching our train until 4pm and didn't want to be lugging them about all over the place so we were able to nip back and pick them up before heading home.

I would definitely recommend staying here because of the staff, service, value and location - what more could you want?!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire2101
MaraisBastille, Directeur général at Best Western Hotel Marais Bastille, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Claire,

Thanks you so much for your very nice feedback with this large description.

Hope to welcome you again for your next birthday...why not ?

Warm regards,
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel april 7th for three nights what a nice place to stay. The staff were fantastic and very friendly. Rooms were very clean spaciouse and good with free Wi Fi . I would recommend this hotel to every one we are comming back next year. And thanks to the msn on the desk who helped us when we were robbed on the metro he was a great help. Be aware pick pockets are rife and you must be carefull not like i was.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Very nice review, many thanks for taking time to write it !
Hope to have the please to welcome you back.

Best regards,
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was at he hotel with my girlfriend from Thursday to Monday morning. The bed was very comfortable, breakfast was great. Pretty central and there is only few minute walk to Bréguet - Sabin and also to Richard Lenoir station. Though i thought it was strange to leave the key card in the lobby the stay was very nice and the price was also good. The free wifi was also a good addition.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Arnar,

Many thanks for your very nice feedback, it is very much appreciated.

The explanation for the key card to leave at reception is that keeping the key is the only way for us to check if you are Inside your room or not, for example in case of emergency, to know when we can clean up your room ...

We stay at your disposal for your next stay in Paris.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed for 3 nights with my daughter..comfortable/cozy and friendly.....breakfast was great and location ..would definately recommend this hotel for a city break...very close to metro .staff were very friendly and spoke great English .

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Sharronlow
Dear Sharronlow ,

Many thanks for taking time to recommend Hotel Marais Bastille!
I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us .

Hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again.