“My first and last visit”
Review of Hotel Merryl

and 1 more site!
Hotel Merryl
Ranked #1,703 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I've just spent my first,and last,night at this hotel.
My credit card had been debited before my arrival,contrary to what was indicated on my booking confirmation.Despite this,I was asked to fill in a form giving my card details.Why? I don't know ,but I refused.I also had to wait until my departure in order to get my credit card receipt .
My last surprise was at breakfast ,served as a buffet,where I was informed that guests were limited to one croissant.I have never seen anything like it!!How miserable!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank scorpian9

Reviewed 5 November 2011

We were looking for something cheap and cheerful and that is what we got. However we did check out early and moved to a different district. The room itself was clean and reasonably furnished like a B&B. One thing we must mention is the lift........never have seen such a small frightening lift! We just about got both of us in, and after one experience decided to take the stairs - everyone has a wardrobe bigger than this!
The main issue with this hotel is the dire location. Whilst handy for the metro, the short walk to and from was like being in a third world country. We are not naive travellers and have seen many cities but this was the most frightening and intimidating we have experienced.
Even a trip to the local supermarket in the middle of the afternoon was full of alcoholic tramps intimidating and stealing from the poor staff....not good!
Just be aware that this may not be a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: try the Hotel Ampere - 4* with the best beds in the world!
Reviewed 4 November 2011

You arrive in a part of Paris where you can presume being in the middle of India or Africa... gangs all over the place... never saw so many not French people grouped together.. Homeless people sleeping on the streets, gangs securing theyre areas.... not a place to walk around... the hotel... not really a hotel.. staff lazy... rooms not cleaned... no fresh soap every day.. toilet with breakmarks of former visitors... breakfast...very fast, one small croissant per person.. negro woman behind the counter chooses to give you a dirty plate and looks surprised that you need a plate.... i think i encountered more bacterias then Paris people there.. if you want to visit Paris... choose something better.. a waste of money......

Room Tip: i could not tate zero so.......
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Philip D
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Clean, simple base for a visit to Paris. Friendly, efficient staff. Small, basic bedroom and shower room - but we only wanted to spend the night there. Continental breakfast, including a croissant and fruit juice. We booked the journey and hotel together through SNCF and got excellent value for money. I'd stay there again.

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Delta airlines referred us to this place as a less expensive alternative for our stay in Paris. The help was friendly, with adequate knowledge of English. Only slight problem was the help at the breakfast buffet. The same people that serve breakfast also clean your room and lack all PR skills. We were told that we could only take one croissant, when the breakfast had been refered to as "buffet". We witnessed the help insulting several guests, by rudely informing them that there is a one croissant limit. In several cases the guests had not consumed their first croissant yet. Close to Metro, the hotel is situated in an area of Paris that is home to mostly African immigrants. When leaving our room after dark, we had to walk to the Metro along curbs where hundreds of Africans were seated. Sort of like Watts in LA.

Room Tip: If you have heavy luggage, certain floors cannot be reached by the tiny house elevator.
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The reception staff were friendly but that's the only good thing I possibly summon up to say about it. The room was tiny, just big enough to fit in a double bed and battered old fomica table a musty stench hit me as soon as I opened the door. The carpet and walls were absolutely filthy I didn't dare walk on the floor in bare feet. The bed sheet was clean but the bed cover was disgusting The smell in the bathroom was so revolting that I didn't have a shower for three days. I could hear every word said in the next room. Only two channels worked on the television (mercifully one was showing Rocky V which cheered me up no end). If you're a Londoner, the area that the hotel's in is like all the worst aspects of Dalston combined with all the worst aspects of Whitechapel, not at all threatening just grimy and sad. I booked it at short notice during fashion week and it cost an astonishing 78 Euros a night. In retrospect I wish I'd splashed out more, it was a working trip, not a holiday but it really made my stay in Gay Paree miserable. Right, off to bathe in carbolic soap.... Bleurgh....AVOID

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank mynameislizzie
Reviewed 5 September 2011

After reading the reviews on here I was very concerned about visiting this hotel however it proved to be very nice for what we needed! It's by no means the best hotel in Paris however if all you want is somewhere to sleep and have breakfast at a decent price it's brilliant.

The staff were all polite and very helpful with everything we needed, the room was clean (beds made and fresh towels everyday) and other than a basic breakfast we had no qualms about our visit at all.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple