“Practical but modest and in a”
Review of Hotel Merryl

Hotel Merryl
Ranked #1,703 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Nice place, kind staff, weak wi-fi connection but surprisingly working, poor breakfast.
I was travelling alone and it was just for one night. I recommend this hotel for its closeness to the train stations (Gare de l'Est, Gare du Nord) but this isn't the good place to come with your girlfriend of family ...

Room Tip: Higher floors are quiet with a surprising view on Monmartre!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Turismoinfinito

Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

The only redeeming quality of my stay at the Hotel Merryl was how close it was to the Gare du Nord/ La Chapelle metro station.

The room was so small. The double bed was two twin beds pushed together, with one mattress constantly sliding right off. The extremely small bathroom had a stall shower that kept overflowing. The TV can only be on if the lights in the room are on. WiFi only works if you sit in the minuscule reception area.

Too expensive for me, for such a small room in a very sketchy neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute and we weren't expecting The Ritz but "basic" doesn't even begin to cover it. The staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. The room was small, but it's Paris so that's to be expected, however it was dingy. The carpet was threadbare, and in the four days we were there was not vacumned once. It was also heavily stained so we kept footwear of some description on at all times. There were two (2) electrical outlets, one of which was taken up by the TV. We actually unplugged this as there was no point in watching tv anyway as we have very limited French, and there was not one English speaking channel. The "full continental" breakfast consisted of coffee, (made from concentrate) orange juice, a strange looking cereal, (rock hard) baquette and croissant. ONE CROISSANT per person is displayed on a sign in the TINY dining area and is a strictly enforced policy as we learned! We did not go to Paris to stay holed up in a hotel, but it would have been nice to come back to a pleasant room / atmosphere. A request for extra pillows was met with an eye roll! There is apparently an elevator, but it "doesn't service all the hotel". This meant we had to climb 2 floors of steep / curved concrete steps, not the ideal for someone with hip / lumbar problems. The best thing that can be said about this hotel is that it is about 2 minutes from La Chapelle metro station. Beyond that it is NOT a hotel we would recommend unless you have no other option!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Onthegoagain212
COLL-7, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel Merryl, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Dear Guests,

I would like to post my comments regarding this last review that is totally extreme to me.
Hôtel Merryl is a very cheap,basic,clean,safe and well located 2 star hotel in Paris.
However,do not expect what we cannot offer for this rate...
I think you have just booked the wrong hotel.
Kind regards.

A.M

Reviewed 22 April 2013

the accommodation is average, it is rather hostel than a hotel, but it*s ok. somebody mentioned here that they don*t have a lift. they do, but it is very small, so the client must have overlooked it :) the breakfast is as almost everywhere in france - sweet: croissant or bread with honey or marmelade and juice/coffee.

what*s inconvenient: the weird male groups standing outside. they were drinking and this doesn*t create a safe environment for female travellers. between the stations barbes-rochechouart and la chapelle it looks like a red light district (mainly during the nights/weekend*s). during the days it looks quite normal.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NunuN1
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Staff very frindly and helpful and spoke good English. Room was fine. Tiniest lift I,ve ever seen, you couldn,t share it with a stanger...or a fat person. The location is quite close to Nord Station and is clearly between two communities of aficans and indians which makes for interesting shopping but at night I was uncomfortable by the way so many men stood around the steets just staring. However the night porter assured me it was safe. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The reeption looks lovely fresh and crisp. The guy on duty was charming and helpful. It went a bit downhill after that. There is no lift and I was glad that I was only on the 1st floor.
The room itself had definitely seen better days but I'm glad to say it had seen a cleaner. The wardrobe was more like a DIY bookshelf with a rail but for 1 night it was OK by me.
The en-suite was tired but clean and the toilet had a pretty antiquated and noisy cistern.
The bed was comfy enough and there was no noise to trouble me.
It's about a 10 min walk from Gare du Nord and the neighbourhood isn't as bad as some other reviewers have said.
As I only wanted an ensuite room and wardrobe, it was good enough for me so that I could dump my stuff and go out for dinner and hen check out early the next morning and hit the sights.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We visited Paris in October 2012, hotel is very close to subway(litterally 2 min walk).If coming from North America, don't expect big rooms and washrooms. We were a coupe without children visited from Toronto. The room was very comfortable, bed in a very good conditions.Washroom a little small but enough for its purpose. Hotel staff very friendly, very helpful and with a good commands in english since we don't speak french. Gave us very helpful advices how to get around in Paris using subways.Breakfast was typical and enough to keep you going for a long walk in Paris since we preferred to sightsee historical places.Free wi-fi was included.If we go again, it will definitely be the first choice

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple