“Small, lack of amenities, but nice and cosy”
Review of Hotel Monna Lisa

Hotel Monna Lisa
Ranked #190 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Paris, France
“Small, lack of amenities, but nice and cosy”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The biggest downside of this hotel is its size. I know Paris hotels are generally quite small, but this was maybe the smallest room we ever stayed in (was a standard room). Also, there’s no restaurant or bar, and the breakfast area is an insanely tight squeeze. And for a 4-star, the lobby and communal areas are quite disappointing. There’s not much they can do about the room size, but the lobby area is just badly configured. Half the area is taken up by a huge structure in the middle of the floor.

Aside from the size issue, mostly everything else was quite nice, and we really enjoyed our stay. The room is recently renovated and very modern. The materials are a bit cheap (plastic installations and cheap tiles), but it’s all designed in good taste. That’s really the upside of this hotel. It’s attractively designed.

The breakfast was decent for a French hotel. You had all the continental stuff, including croissants, yoghurts, cheese, etc. The scrambled eggs weren’t great, but I was happy they even tried (a lot of French hotels don’t). Same thing for the pancakes: they were pre-prepped and cold, but I was still happy to even find pancakes, which are rare in French hotels.

The staff was all smiles and very nice as well.

We had a special offer that was far from the rack rate, so I felt the value for money was quite good. However, if I had paid something closer to the rack rate, I have to admit, I would’ve been disappointed.

One last thing -- something that didn’t bother us, but worth pointing out for others… The walls were very thin! We could hear our neighbors’ sink turn on each time, and it was so loud I kept thinking it was our bathroom. This wasn’t an issue for us at all (he, she or they were very quiet), but I can imagine my review being much different if we’d had the misfortune of sleeping next to a talkative couple. So keep that in mind.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ValueSeeker214
Aurore E, hotel Manager at Hotel Monna Lisa, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Madam dear Sir

We are really happy to learn you had a pleasant stay with us;

Should you comeback to Monna Lisa Hotel do not hesitate to ask for an executive room or suite wich are much bigger than the standard rooms;

Our staff if always trying to give our guest the best service possible and we are always happy to read good commentaries

We do hope to hearing from your soon

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

My first trip to Paris, I stayed at here for 10 days on a business trip. The two best things an about this hotel are The location and the staff!!

As mentioned by others, the rooms are small (but having never been to Paris, I have nothing to compare to). I was actually in room 303 the first night and had to move because as a woman, there was just not enough space for me and 2 weeks of business suits (someone mentioned earlier a cruise ship - every cruise ship cabin I've ever had was bigger than that room. Would only recommend an '03 room to a single male traveller.

For the rest of my stay I upgraded to room 402 which was lovely. The size of a normal USA bedroom (not hotel room, but bedroom). It overlooked the street and the view was romantically Paris! There was no noise, because it's double insulated with an exterior window and then an interior door...but it was so nice to open and get a little fresh air (even in the winter). Sometimes in the evening I also left it open because I heard a sax playing from a pub down the street - jazz just drifting down the street.

Everyone's mentioned it, but the location was perfect. Two blocks from the Champs Élysées and the Franklin Roosevelt subway station (we took the train every day and it was so easy) Also right there on the Champs is a Starbucks (a must for me!) There are lots of great eateries within a 5 min walk, as well as a Mono Prix (grocery) a half a block from the hotel.

My favorite staff were Aurore and Maggie!! They went out of their way to provide any concierge assistance I needed (Maggie even helped me argue with a taxi driver in French and she won!!). You can't go wrong with those two ladies helping you!!

The only con I can mention is slower than usual wifi. It is fine in the lobby, but would have loved better speed in my room.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Floridafunsun
Dear Madam

Thank you very much for your booking at Monna Lisa Hotel and for your very nice commentary

It was a real pleasure to welcoming you and to help you durig your stay

All the staff of Monna Lisa is working every days to improve the quality of services we are providing.

Should you comeback to Paris we hope to have the pleasure to welcoming again

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The façade of this hotel looks quite skanky, and their reception area is a bit strange, too, with a large sort of 'central pillar' that you have to walk around.

The rooms are very nice, but just like my last stay in Paris, they're very small.

When I was shown up to my room, the very nice young lady actually came into my room to show me around. As a happily married man, I found this a bit invasive.

The only other thing I found curious or less than great, was that the tea and coffee tray on the desk had a cable which was about three inches long. There was no doubt some sort of extension cable under the desk, but I couldn't be bothered looking.

Anyway, I'd give this hotel 8/10.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dandsam
Aurore E, Hotel Manager at Hotel Monna Lisa, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear sir

We thank you for choosing Monna Lisa hotel and for the Commentry you left about our Hotel

We are happy to learn you attributed us a 8/10 and will put an extention for the caddle so you won't have to plug it by your self next time you'll stay with us.

Again thank you for your stay at Monna Lisa Hotel

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed here for 4 days. Great location, but unfortunately, I had tucked away $450 into my suitcase as I didn't want to walk around with it. I came back later that day.... money was completely gone from the room. When mentioned to the front desk, my compliant was dismissed. The rooms were also small, and the bed was not comfortable. Would NOT recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kms22014
Aurore E, Hotel Manager at Hotel Monna Lisa, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear KMS22014,

we are deeply sorry to hear that your stay in our hotel was marred, as you may know, we provide a safe in all our bedrooms and all items of value and money should be placed in to avoid any temptation. – We would be more than happy to help you, but we are wondering if you made any claim to the police ? Our cleaning staff works for us for years now and we never had any inconvenience such the one you mentioned. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back one day.

Do not hesistate to contact me on my personnal e-mail address : aequoy@inwood-hotels.com or to reply to the e-mail sent previously

Please accept our appologize

Vught, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 November 2013

First stay in this small hotel, very well located with all confort
Helpfull receptionist and staff, nice breakfast
I can recommend this hotel if you are looking for an hotel in downtown Paris, ideally loctaed for shopping and visiting !!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marieke v
Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 4 nights in this hotel on the first leg of our french honeymoon. This hotel is located just off the Champs Elysees about halfway between the Arc de Triomf and the Concorde. The staff were so helpful and friendly and it was so easy to travel Paris from this central location. It sits on a bustling street, the Rue la Boetie and was perfect for our needs. Hotel Monna Lisa struck the right balance between location, comfort and value for money. We will be back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bryan R
Aurore E, Hotel Manager at Hotel Monna Lisa, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Sir

We would like to thank you for your stay in Monna Lisa Hotel and and glad to learn your stay was as pleasant as expected.

Your satisfaction is our best incentive.

I will share with all Monna Lisa staff your kind commentary and thank you again for taking time to write about Monna Lisa

We hope to have the pleaure to welcomming you again for your next trip.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Fantastic location, so close to all the action. The hotel has lovely staff, so welcoming and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
The rooms were modern and extremely clean with excellent bathroom toiletries.
My room was at the front of the hotel and looked out onto the street, it was beautiful.
Great value for money for the centre of Paris!
Would definitely return to this stylish little hidden treasure.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Princesskate270
Dear Sir

Your satisfaction is more than important for Monna Lisa team who is working everyday to improve his quality of services

We hope to have the pleaure to welcomming you again for your next trip.