“Worth the trip if you like crystal”
Review of Musee Baccarat

Musee Baccarat
Ranked #317 of 1,181 things to do in Paris
Reviewed 9 October 2012

It may be obvious, but this is a really great museum to visit if you like fine crystal. What I mean is that this is perhaps the tiniest most focused museum I have ever experienced. You might be a little bored if you have no interest in the subject matter. It is essentially three small rooms with modest sized display cases. I didn’t count them, but I would guess that there were a total of 150 items on display, if that many.

The building and interior itself is beautiful. We arrived around 3pm on a Monday and were greeted efficiently but somewhat coldly. We paid our 5 Euro each and spent about 30 minutes in the museum. After leaving I found out that there is a video to view. We were not made aware of this option, but in hindsight I expect that it was because the staff seemed busy preparing for some sort of evening event. Not a big deal as the museum itself was enjoyable and we received a handout in English that explained the items on view.

A rather large showroom/gift shop is located on the ground floor. They offer beautiful items but way out of my price range. The public restroom on the upper floor is worth a look…a really interesting space that is unlike any restroom I have experienced before. You’ll have to see it for yourself!

In summary we are very glad that we went to this museum. It was a nice change of pace as this museum was small enough to be manageable and not crowded. If you are in the area and what to try something different or have an interest in fine crystal, I would whole-heartedly recommend a visit to this lovely little museum.

1  Thank PairOBears
There are newer reviews for Musee Baccarat

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Building itself is so amazing and food was absolutely beautiful. Lunch doesn't cost much and still you can enjoy luxury time. Strongly recomonded.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

WOW! What a great little “museum”. The film on how they do it (though all in French) is self-explanatory and very interesting. Makes you truly appreciate the process of glass making, the many steps involved, and why top quality glass is very expensive. You can get up close and personal to some wonderful chandelier pieces that hang in what appears to be a function room where the movie is shown. Then there is a separate area with about six large showcases which house samples of glass & stemware done for International Exhibitions and for kings, popes, and celebrities of the day for hundreds of years. The quality of the oldest pieces and some of the exhibition pieces is mind boggling.
I walked through the modern day boutique but after seeing the work of old most of the modern seems to pale in comparison. There is also the fact that I couldn’t afford anything, but that’s beside the point?
On the second floor (American second floor-European first floor) where the museum is housed there is also a very elegant restaurant. If you are sharply dressed and want to treat yourself I would give that a try. I was not dressed for the occasion. Lastly, do not miss the restrooms located on the back side of the stairs. They are spectacular by themselves! Chin-Chin

2  Thank sharcar3045
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Ou of the crowds ... here is a small but wonderful Museum which I will want to visit again...especially as I understand that great food is served every the evening in house restaurant.

Reviewed 10 September 2010

We have been twice to this lovely jewel of a museum. There is a restaurant inside which one may enjoy as well. Works of art in crystal from this and the last century are exhibited. Everything from chess boards to chandeliers. Lovely.

1  Thank lella7