“Unhappy Experience”

Ranked #346 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Unhappy Experience”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

8 night stay....booked here because we are Starwood Gold so thought would get treated well. Had a pre-paid "spectacular" room with the view of the Opera (spectacular building....recommend a tour (9 euros per person) if you have time). Arrived at the hotel at around 11 am (overnight from jfk...cost 65 euros to hotel from airport). Room was unavailable but there was a suite available immediately for 150 per night more.... classic upsell. Wife can't sleep on the planes so took the bait and bought the suite upgrade. (sucker ;-) )

Some positives...staff were all super nice and really seem to care. The hotel is in a great location. The Opera quarter is a walk or short cab ride from all major attractions. Felt safe walking around at night. Hotel is in a renovated historic building so the interior is super modern. The bathroom amenities are bliss products. Bed is very comfortable.

Some negatives... (1) plan/book your excursions in advance, not much help from the conceirge. Plan restaurants or day trips out of Paris like Reims, Versailles etc before you leave as they get filled up. (2) ask for a high floor and away from the bar. I was on the first floor and the techno-music bass pulsated throughout the room and irritated the heck out of us. (3) don't expect any special treatment for being a SPG Gold member...you will get offered free Internet (not breakfast like Marriott Gold) (4) Gym is pretty basic.

The most irritating and unpleasant experience for us was not being able to get a good night sleep. The A/C kept turning off during the night forcing us to get up repeatedly as it became unbearably hot under the covers. So everyday we had a 3-4 AM ritual of being forced to get up muck around with the A/C trying to cool the room. As a result we had a late start every day as we were super tired in the morning. I felt really bad for my spouse who is a finicky sleeper and has a really hard time falling asleep. Finally had the sense to complain to the front desk (who to their credit tried to fix it) but it was a little too late. This ruined our stay experience.

Except for my nightly sleeping fiasco...i would have rated the hotel a tad higher. We went during the low-season (thanksgiving week). There were crowds everywhere in Paris and Versailles. Can't imagine what high season must be like here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank nycNomad28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hidden Vault
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Spent 2 nights here with my mother and couldn't be any happier. I was greeted by an Asian lady named Pui at the reception desk when I first arrived. The only problem throughout my entire stay was checking in. The room wasn't ready till 4.30 pm even after spending quite a time around the hotel neighborhoods. When I returned around 3.30 pm, I still received the same answer and I started to feel a bit frustrated. Then, I was escorted to a mini bar with complimentary fresh juice as an apology. She did everything she possibly could to assure that my stay be smooth while waited for the room. She kept saying sorry countless of times and I had no problem with that. After all, thanks to her for pointing out many interesting parts of Paris and provided many great suggestions. One of the best front desk ladies we have encountered in years.

As for the room, it's typical style function like other W hotels but for Paris this means a lot considering the size and cleanliness. I stayed on the 1st floor and often times I could hear the noise from the train running underneath in the metro, hard to sleep as a matter of fact.

You have to love W Opera location, just second to none seriously, very safe at night and convenient to almost everywhere you would want to go. A great starting point to explore Paris in general. Food is all around. Shopping places are just a few steps away. A+ property.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kittayos
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The W Paris was a perfect place to spend a few nights on our first trip to Paris. I brought my family and we had two rooms. One was a Fabulous Suite and the other a basic room. Both accomodations were well appointed, but quite small. The vibe at this hotel is typical W and a terrific blend of modern metropolitian design yet classic and attentive service that we found to be outstanding. The concierges were extremely helpful as was the front desk staff. The bar at the hotel was a real hot spot every night and a great retreat for food and drink.

The location of this hotel is terrific and if you are a walker within walking distance to all the Paris major attractions. If not a walker the hotel is only a short cab ride from everything important in Paris.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank luxuryhotelcritic
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Dear Luxuryhotelcritic,

Thank you very much for your kind comment. It is a real satisfaction for our team to get such a nice reward. We are thrilled to note that our design combined to a genuine service have seducted you both while you were discovering Paris.

Should you have any other opportunity to come back here or in any other Starwood properties, just ask.
Have a great day

Dallas, TX
Reviewed 23 November 2012

This was my first stay at the W Paris-Opera. It was a very good stay overall, with just a few annoying issues that potential travelers should be aware of. While this review may seem a bit picky, at these room rates a stay should be near flawless, given the newness of the rooms and the length of time it took to get the hotel built.
The staff is superb. Friendly, accommodating and generally responsive to any concern. Be aware, however, that the lobby is tiny and cramped; three couples checking in at once will completely overwhelm the space.
My room (#316…called a “Marvelous Suite”) was a 4-category complimentary upgrade as a Platinum member of Starwood Preferred Guest. It was generally quite comfortable and serviceable and was actually one very large room with a padded full-height divider splitting the sleeping area from the “sitting” area. [I didn't get to see a standard room so I can't comment on size.] There were two flat screen TVs in this particular room with a good selection of English language channels.

The bed is comfortable, with decent reading lights. The bathroom is large and unusual…walled off in opaque glass. There is an excellent trough-style 2 person sink, with a divider shelf in the center with waterfall faucets. No tub; just a large shower. The most annoying thing about the bathroom is the fact that the lights are on motion sensors and turn off if they don’t sense any movement in the bathroom. These were not working right in this room; they plunged the bathroom into darkness after 60 seconds, and didn’t seem to be responsive to movement. Very annoying, especially at night. They need to trust guests to properly turn the lights off when departing instead of annoying them to try to save a euro or two.
The sitting area is cramped, but usable. There is a great radio with all of the expected connectors, a superb multi-device charging system, and a small glass desk. The most ridiculous item in the room is the so-called “sofa”. It is a low slung narrow uncomfortable “shelf-like” item that is impossible to get comfortable on, and cannot be slept-on. It is the most idiotic design ever encountered. Do NOT count on having a third occupant sleep on this; you'll need a roll-away. Upholstered in black-leather, it has lots of gold-colored disks the size of quarters sewn into the upholstery. Except they are already coming off, making the couch appear worn less than 8 months after opening.
In front of the couch there is a small glass table…unusable because it is set up with martini glasses, a shaker, and several ¼ size bottles of Belvedere Vodka, vermouth and utensils. I spent a day tripping over it and knocking things over, so I called down and asked them to remove it. This room had a huge mini-bar, but there was no room in it to store even a bottle or two of guest-supplied items. And it takes up a lot of space.

A were a couple of minor annoyances….
[1] There were four tetra-paks of drinking water in the room. Two were complimentary; the other two have very small price tags on them. Drink all four on one day without checking carefully and you’ll be charged for two.
[2] Like almost all W Hotels, this one came with an array of Bliss toiletries…but these were larger than normal…about 3.4 oz…two big to be carried on board aircraft. My wife looks forward to me bringing these back with me from business trips…these would require bag checking, so why can’t they use the smaller, air-travel compliant containers like their W brethren around the world?

The 2nd floor restaurant was large and attractive. If you are a SPG Platinum (and are a breakfast user)you will be given your choice of extra points or breakfast. I recommend taking the complimentary breakfast as your amenity rather than the 500 Starpoints, especially if there are two of you in the room. Like a number of other 5 star Paris hotels, breakfast is very, very expensive otherwise. The W is a small hotel, so rather than the obligatory breakfast buffet which would likely result in quite a bit of waste, they “bring the buffet to you”. This is accomplished by bringing a platter of breakfast selections to your table, which allows you to “graze” off of the platter. They will replenish it if you wish. Unfortunately, the tables are very small, so to accommodate the platter, each table is equipped with a very odd “overshelf-like platform” that elevates the platter to eye level above the table. This makes for a somewhat uncomfortable claustrophobic dining experience at breakfast (the platforms are removed for dinner). Your only choice is to opt for a larger table to avoid the need for the shelf.

Overall, a decent stay, with a number of peculiar, minor annoyances that may prove difficult to fix. The location, just off Paris Opera and a 3 min walk to Paris' two main department stores is very convenient. There are two Starbucks close by, but not much open on Sundays.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank fatetta
Dear Fafeta,

Thank you for this long long review featuring so many details about the experience you just had! :)
More seriously I am sure that all what you say will be usefull for our future travellers!

Furthermore, it gives us a room for information to complete your profile so that we can better anticipate the "do's and don't" for your next visit.

I wish you a wonderful day

Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

Great service stayed here with my wife for a week couldn't believe we were in Paris the service and all the staff were extra friendly which in paris for me is a first and cecil the insider helped with the nightlife arrangements. Only downside its too close to the department stores wife is constantly shopping 2 minutes walk to gallery lafayette
Great location great service spg cat 7 well deserved if you tell taxi rue meyerbeer they say where? Just say the apple store on rue halevy and they know i took at least 15 taxis and all of them knows rue halevy but none knew rue meyerbeer . The hotel is next to the apple store.
The hotel is extremely clean and the room service pasta is the best i have had at 3am in any spg hotel so far try the mushroom sauce pasta or the gorgonzola pasta. It is strange to see such great service in paris looking forward to my next stay here. I saw a motivated staff and the W hotel DNA is strong here.
Downside TV didnt work for three days but its the fault of service provider as hotel uses iptv system and internet was a bit slow if you want to download movies on the ipad but fine for email and apps.
For international travellers around 50 channels in different languages i didnt keep track but most channels for a hotel in paris that i have been too.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Supercalbee
Dear Supercalbee,

So great to read such a nice feed back from one of our "W Evangelist"! So proud to see taht you felt the W vibe while you were with us!!
This is the best reward that our team of talents can receive; so for that I warmly THANK YOU.

Should you need anything from us, for your next trip in Paris or anywhere else in our Starwood properties around the World, just let us know.

Have a great day!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My friend and I stayed there for a 3 night weekend in Paris. The service was phenomenal. Staff were very courteous and helpful. We loved every moment at the hotel. The recommendations for restaurants and places to go were spot on - they really like to cater to your needs. The room (despite being their smallest on offer) was perfect for 2 of us. Very clean, neat, with all the amenities you could require; along with a beautiful view of the Opera house. I can't remember ever not having a smile on my face during the weekend. Everything was perfect! I felt right at home.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Transient-friend
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 3 November 2012

W Paris Opéra is a nice choice for the normal 5 stars. I stayed in this hotel for one week with my wife and we enjoyed our stay.

The hotel is new so everything is nice, clean and working. The staff was just excellent and the service in all ways premium.

You´ll find everything you need in this hotel and if they don´t have it on site they will arrange for it.

Some might feel the design and for example the "studio living" concept a bit overwhelming but the only thing I would make sure is that if you are staying longer than just 1-2 nights you should book over the "Cozy" level.

It is not the cheapest hotel around and for example the breakfast prices are a bit unreasonable. You can order breakfast items naturally separately but its really not a solution.

All in all, excellent service and I will most likely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tämer M
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Dear Tangobeam,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts re . your latest stay at the W Paris Opéra. From the design to the service provided by our talents, it seems that we met your expectations and more.
At the W Paris Opera we are truly putting a great emphasis on welcoming people warmly and in a friendly manner. We want to participate to the success of your journey in Paris, with Cécile, our W Insider, and our Whatever Whenever team who will try to suprise you while you are with us.

Stay tuned, more is to come with an energic event calendar until the end of year. Please join us on our social media scene and enjoy some great moments.

Thanks again and make yourself at home.