“Great location and value, even better staff!”
Review of W Paris - Opera

W Paris - Opera
Ranked #371 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I recently returned from our first trip to Paris, and we stayed at the W Paris Opera. The hotel is chic just like all W's, however, for me what stood out was the incredible service from their staff. We got amazing recommendations and tips, concierge was always willing to help us resolve any issues and everyone in the lobby greets you very warmly. Everything from checking out to the room service (which has good food as well). One of the concierges, Thomas, is extremely helpful, and I highly recommend him. He booked us tables at some great restaurants last minute, gave great local recommendations and even helped us change a reservation when I felt a bit ill and followed up to see if I was feeling better the next day. You can't beat the location either, it is very central, walking distance from the Louvre, beautiful building and great Metro station just in front.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Christophe M, General Manager at W Paris - Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Shelly C,
Thank you so much for your nice comments that we will be pleased to share with our talents. The focus on the guest experience is really important for us and for the Brand.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon and to continue to share together the W Spirit.

There are newer reviews for W Paris - Opera

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a very small W hotel in comparison to the others under the same brand umbrella. Very small room, a gym, no pool. The entrance isn't very visible, look for the big Apple store next door instead.

Check-in process is typical W, friendly, efficient and hassle free. Standard W scent for the familiar smell whichever corner you turn.

In our very small room, and the only W room we have stayed in that we can't find the W Wish kaleidoscope. The layout went for more design than function. Big TV wall with some fashionable decorative items, but the integrated luggage stand isn't big enough for my suitcase.

Cool shower box design, although plastic surface very slippery.

Curiously there was a huge "mini bar" tray placed beside the basin, with all kinds of items available for sell such as pre-mixed cocktails, premium snacks, an adaptor and two individual condoms.

We thought there definitely were better and more space efficient ways to display minibar items. Additionally, there's no coffee nor tea facilities were available, if you want a Nespresso machine in room, you have to pay 200 EUR deposit first, and pay for a tray of capsules (not included in the room rate).

During our stay there was one morning the cleaning lady opened our door while we're undressed, although she quickly apologized and closed the door, we were surprised that it's not a standard practice to knock on doors first.

Food and drinks at the hotel's only restaurant were very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank plu81
Christophe M, General Manager at W Paris - Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear plu81,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the W Paris-Opéra, located in the center of Paris. Cause of the room size, we opted for the system of free vouchers in the W Lounge (from 11 am to 1 pm) instead of coffee and tea facilities. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon to present this item and to continue the W experience with a Parisian Style.
Christophe Mercier.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We loved this hotel - from the moment we arrived, staff couldn't have been more accommodating or genuinely friendly!
After checking in we had a quick chat with Cecile Rummer who asked us about the kind of trip we had in mind and then suggested must see's and a lowdown on the newly opened bars,cafes and clubs in Paris before making reservations for our chosen ones over the stay.
Great location - so easy to get anywhere, hotel arranged all evening drivers, we walked by day.
Room was lovely - very quiet and private, with lots of power points (major plus!) including multi phone charger and music dock. Bliss toiletries, great mini bar and room service menu. (Loved the lighting functions in room - including night lights above bathroom area so the other half doesn't wake you up mid night!)
We were there during an air strike, and hotel staff were so lovely checking with airline & keeping us up to date, removed all of our stress. Would stay again and have since recommended to friends. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christophe M, General Manager at W Paris - Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear smosmo23,
Thank you so much for your nice comments further your stay in our beautiful property. We hope to welcome you again soon and be sure that Cecile with new tips and the entire team will be around you to continue the experience !

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

David Sagem checked us in and he was great. The service and the breakfast is worth staying at this hotel. The location is the best in paris. Walking distance to all the shops and museums. Thank you very much for the stay. This will be my second home !

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Christophe M, General Manager at W Paris - Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Eaini3,
Thank you for your great comments regarding your stay at the W Paris-Opéra !
We are happy to welcome you as a member of the W Family and we look foward to welcoming you soon "home".

Reviewed 8 April 2014

This hotel is hard to review. Service was very good, and I received a huge upgrade to a WOW Suite, which is their second highest room category. However, this place is not really for me.

What I liked: Very convenient location, easily walkable to many tourist sights such as the Louvre, and the large department stores. Very nice view of the opera house from my room. Energetic, efficient service. Very large bathroom with free-standing tub and separate rainshower. Plenty of complimentary water in the room (about 4-5 bottles in total). Public areas nicely furnished. Not an overly “disco” atmosphere on arrival as is sometimes the case in W hotels.

What I liked less: The interior decoration of the room I felt was not tasteful – trying too hard at the expense of practicality. I do like contemporary design, and for example I like the room design of the W Barcelona. But W Paris was simply too much. My suite was furnished with a large black leather Chesterfield type sofa with gold buttons, so deep that you could not sit but only lie on it. Plus two Louis XIV replica chairs with a green-gold color scheme. It really hurt my eyes. Plus it’s not a “real” suite – bedroom and living room are separated by small divider only.
And again, the general vibe is one of trying a bit too hard. Alcohol (wodka etc.) and an ice bucket on the coffee table. Different selections of condoms on top of the minibar (along with a choice of nuts and sweets). A 200 EUR half bottle of Krug champagne in the minibar. The elevators are upholstered in a dark red silky fabric, and are lit in red. I was traveling alone for business, so all this was slightly amusing. However, I would be ashamed of ever bringing anyone here – it’s really way too suggestive for my taste.

So, can’t really fault them on objective criteria. Thanks for the big upgrade. But it’s unlikely that I will return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Guerteltier

Dear Guerteltier,
Thank you for your feedback.
The design of the hotel is focus on the fFench and Parisian Style to connect our guest with Paris, the City of Lights. Design is one of W Brand's passion points so it take a big part of the ambiance in each property. We do understand that this might not be the taste of everyone and we hope to welcome you soon again in one of our other Starwood properties.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The W Paris - Opera (adjacent to the magnificent Opera Garnier) is a prime example of the quality I've come to expect and love from the W branded properties. I had to make an unexpected trip to Paris this weekend from the 5th through the 7th and was wondering where to stay as my friend that I normally stay with in Paris was out of town. I looked up hotels on the SPG app for iPhone and was pleased to see that there was a W. When I arrived at Gare de l'Est, I discovered that the bus line 42 had Opera as a stop. It's worth mentioning that the 42 bus hits almost ALL of the "must see" sights of Paris, and is the standard t+ fare (1,37 euro)...MUCH cheaper than the 29 euro you would pay for the double decker tourist bus. As I walked around the beautiful Opera Garnier (impossible to miss due to the two massive gold sculptures on top), I was having a hard time locating the hotel. Here's my tip: look for the Apple store instead. The W is right next to it, but is slightly hidden away and inconspicuous. I was slightly shocked that there was not a huge illuminated W outside the entrance as is the norm, but now I realize that it would have detracted from the subtle elegance of the hotel. When I entered the reception area I was greeted by a friendly and helpful staff who were more than happy to set me up with a room for the next two nights. Some may think that the rate is pricey, and it's definitely not cheap, but when you take into account the amazing location and the quality of the hotel itself, the price is more than justified. As far as the room, when I walked in I thought it was a little small for a Fantastic Suite; then I realized that the restroom and shower was up the stairs near the bed. It was the perfect size for me. Two flat screen TVs, a balcony, a spacious shower and restroom area, and quirky artwork were some of my favorite features of the room. On Sunday I met up with a friend who was in Paris working on a project and we decided to eat at the in-hotel Coquette Restaurant. We were both pleased to see that there was a good amount of vegetarian options on the menu. We ordered the Veggie Burger for brunch and were expecting a standard burger..what was brought out was a HUGE burger that resembled a cake (you have to order it to see for yourself). It was a very unique and fun twist on a familiar and sometimes boring dish. We enjoyed Coquette so much that we decided to have dinner there as well! The staff was extremely professional and fun to talk to. Another perk about the W Opera is the close proximity to the bus stops and RER / Metro. You are in direct access to Disneyland Paris, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Notre Dame, Catacombs (get off at Denfert Rochereau, its only a 200m walk), and pretty much all of the landmarks in the City of Lights. It's worth noting that the Opera stop is also written as Auber on some lines. I hope my review helped you navigate your way to this great hotel and if you would like to see some of the photos I took on this most recent trip you can follow me on Instagram at instagram.com/charleswolford . I will definitely be spending all upcoming trips to Paris at the W Opera. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you are an SPG Platinum member, don't forget to request an upgrade. Even if you're not, i...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Charles W
Christophe M, General Manager at W Paris - Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Charles W,
Thank you you so much for your feedback and your tips of Paris ! We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful property and you took the opportunity to discover our new restaurant, Coquette, with a menu which takes the finest local flavours remixed with a unique urban edge and a large serving of humour. As you mentioned, special focus all types of dietary requirements, from vegan to lactose, dairy- and gluten-free !
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon.
Best regards.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We ended up making a trip to Paris before heading back to the states for our honeymoon. I received a notification about 5 days prior that I received the platinum upgrade to a suite so that was good news and I was hoping we could get something on the top floor. We arrived and unfortunately it wasn't the top floor. The W is situated at a convenient location where you can jump on the metro and be anywhere within the city in minutes. You could walk around but we found ourselves just taking the train as it was easier and faster. I've been to a few W's so I wasn't overly impressed as the design was something that was expected but I will say that because this was "Paris" I did expect it to be a little bit bigger and not fighting for space. I wanted it to be the "Grand W Paris" - so although it wasn't a Grand Palais of sorts it was nice and comfortable. Upon arrival we were checked in quickly while people helped us with our bags. This is the first time I didn't ask for points for our platinum amenity - why you ask -- well I looked at our complimentary breakfast and it said 64 Euros. I'm sure you can imagine what went through my mind but needless to say, there was no way I was going to pay for that. The "Paris" name can only take you so far with me. And...it was worth the convenience, but the quality wasn't that great. Oh well. The room was small. It was a suite, but it was small. I can only imagine what a traditional room looks like. If you're going for the traditional room - I'd find somewhere else as you could get a nice apartment for the price of 2 nights here. The view we had overlooked the street and we could see what an office building was doing. One problem we really had was with the motion sensors in our room. They would not work in our living room and we asked to get this looked at. The guy came up speaking absolutely no english (which I expected) and he said that it was a motion sensor. We got that much - we just wanted it fixed. We told him we'd deal with it tomorrow. Well, same problem happened again and we called the whatever, whenever service, and they are still learning english as well. The phone was passed onto the front desk who said she would have someone look into it tomorrow. Well, that would be the last night we were there and with a 7am flight that was the least of our concerns. The bathroom was modern but wasn't practical. I understand the W concept but this was just ridiculous. Why are my contact solution, contact case, toothbrush and toothpaste the only items that I could sit on the shelf?? This meant frequently going back in the other room to get my hairspray, hair gel, comb, lotion, etc. Which ultimately meant my husband had no space...at all. I'm a woman, and while I don't need a huge amount of space - I need a little bit more than that. It's the first of W's that I've seen that has had that problem.

Overall I wasn't in awe of this W and the 3 stars shows it. Out of the W's that I've been to this "Paris" location was the most 'average' I've been to.

Room Tip: If you're thinking of a traditional room - find another hotel. Just get a suite.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank remadrid17

Dear remadrid17,
Thank you for your feedback concerning your stay in our property.
I'm sorry to read that the room allocation was not up to the standard that you had expected. The Suite Night Awards give you access to our junior suites called Marvelous Suite. Unfortunately our top floor suites called Wow Suite do not take part of this program. However on your next visit we will be happy to show you other suites categories.
Best regards.